INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rip as one user - log in as another - Can't display cover art on Multi-User Sys!  (Read 1584 times)

Steve Ray

• Recent member

I'm currently running v 13.0.172 of MC and can't figure this problem out to save my life!

Under XP Professional, I log in as an administrator to rip my CDs to WAVs on a 2 TB RAID array - MC works perfectly as long as I stay logged in as an administrator.  However, when I log in as a normal user, the library comes up blank, so I try to 'import' the libary by pointing to the RAID array where the ripped WAVs are stored.  (Obviously this won't work, because by definition there are no tags in the WAVs, but at least I tried.)  So I logged back in as an administrator and did some snooping around for the files where the outboard tag information for the WAVs might be being stored by MC.  I found the hidden directory where these files are being maintained under "C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Application Data\J River" and tried copying the contents of that directory to the normal user's directory "C:\Documents and Settings\Steve\Application Data\J River" and then logged back in as the normal user.  Everything seems to come up perfectly EXCEPT I can't get the album art to come up in the 'display' window!

This is NUTS because the album art DOES come up in all the other areas of MC - It just won't come up in the display window!     

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Try ripping to APE or FLAC or any lossless format.  There is no advantage to storing files as WAV, and there are some disadvantages.

Steve Ray

• Recent member

Thank you for the prompt reply, Jim. 

However, I wish to heck I would have known that WAVs weren't supported on multi-user systems BEFORE I spent two and a half months ripping 650 CDs!  I read up on the two lossless formats you suggested and open source FLAC format looks to be the most widely accepted so I'll try that. 

Is there is a "bulk library conversion utility" for MC that can convert the WAVs to FLACs (or APEs) and populate the FLAC (or APE) tag fields from the MC database or do I have to manually re-rip all 650 CDs again?     

Thanks again,
Steve

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe

Thank you for the prompt reply, Jim. 

However, I wish to heck I would have known that WAVs weren't supported on multi-user systems BEFORE I spent two and a half months ripping 650 CDs!  I read up on the two lossless formats you suggested and open source FLAC format looks to be the most widely accepted so I'll try that. 

Is there is a "bulk library conversion utility" for MC that can convert the WAVs to FLACs (or APEs) and populate the FLAC (or APE) tag fields from the MC database or do I have to manually re-rip all 650 CDs again?     

Thanks again,
Steve
you can bulk convert them. rightclick on a file choose librarytools>convert format. click on the change button to set how to change the format. do a few first a s test. you can select a bunch to do a bulk conversion.

:)
gab

Steve Ray

• Recent member

Thanks Gab!  Your information on the bulk conversion saved me several months of work.  The only problem that I encountered was that the conversion to FLAC only maintained the association with the album art for the first track in each album and lost it on all other tracks.  I had to spend about eight hours manually re-associating the other tracks on the 650 albums with the album art, but when done the system operates flawlessly.  (Eight hours of work was still preferable to many months of re-ripping!)

Once again, THANKS.

This MC R-O-C-K-S!!!!

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up