INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Win 7 64-bit - failed to initialize encoder plugin  (Read 4102 times)

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
Win 7 64-bit - failed to initialize encoder plugin
« on: August 26, 2009, 03:25:48 pm »

I cant' rip any CDs using JRMC13 with my system. I recently upgraded (with a clean install) from Windows 7 RC (32-bit) to Windows 7 RTM (64-bit). I've always set my encoding preference to Windows Media Lossless. Now, when I try to rip something, I get the message -

"Read Track Failed. Failed to initialize the encoder plugin. Rip failed."

I have 2 optical drives on the system. I get the same error with both drives. I have tried ripping to a local folder and a folder on a mapped network drive. Neither works.

I've never had this problem before, the only change was going from Win7 x32 (RC) to Win7 x64 (RTM). Has anyone else had this problem? I wonder if it has something to do with running x64 version of Win7.

Thanks,
Gregg

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Win 7 64-bit - failed to initialize encoder plugin
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 04:42:10 pm »

You might try APE or FLAC.

Microsoft breaks support for the lossless encoder profile each OS upgrade.  You might also have luck editing the lossless profile in [MC]\Plugins\WMAProfiles.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 05:07:00 pm »

I have other applications that need WMA, so I prefer not to encode to FLAC. It seems a bit odd to say Microsoft breaks support for the lossless encoder profile at each encoder OS upgrade since I never have problems ripping with Windows Media Player after these OS upgrades.

I haven't a clue what the correct profile settings should be, so not sure if I should be editing the XML files at this point. In my MC13\Plugins\WMAProfiles folder, I have the following files:

lossless_old.xml
lossless_v10.xml
lossless_v11.xml

Are these version numbers related to the MC version numbers? If so, it doesn't look like they've updated their profiles since version 11.

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 05:24:34 pm »

I tried restarting JRMC13 and was able to rip one CD. When I tried ripping the second, it gave me the same error message. Then I restarted and it was able to rip 12 out of 13 tracks from a brand new CD (BTW, I've always had my CDs set to secure rip mode). I noticed that the message on the Rip Progress window showed some Asian characters above where the text reported 'Rip failed'. If they are outsourcing their programming, they should at least tell the coders to make sure all error messages are in English before they submit their code.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 05:47:42 pm »

Did you try MC14?  It may be no different, but it's worth a whirl.

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 05:53:57 pm »

You've posted that MC14 is stable, but is it finished? What stage is it in? I'm familiar with alpha, internal beta, public beta and RTM. Microsoft uses a few interim stages like RC, etc., but you get my drift. I don't want to install MC14 until it is a bit more mature. Especially since I use these systems to demo my hardware.

Besides, I doubt if it doesn't work in MC13 that it will work in MC14.

-Gregg

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 06:31:19 pm »

I would say it is at least gamma, a step beyond beta.  We would not have changed our download page if we didn't think it was better than MC13.

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 07:42:25 pm »

When I say better, I mean in terms of stability. I'm assuming you are referring to features. Or are you saying MC13 is less stable than MC14? That would seem odd since MC13 has been used by many more people, who've probable reported bugs which have been fixed, etc., etc.

After reading about some of the new features with MC14, I am anxious to give it a try, but like I said, I don't want to put pre-release software on this fresh install of Win7 unless I am confident that it will be at least as stable as MC13.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 08:07:46 pm »

It's more stable.

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 09:54:24 pm »

Sorry for the confusion, I just want to get this straight and my earlier post isn't helping.

Which version is more stable, MC13 or MC14?

Thanks,
Gregg

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 07:12:31 am »

MC14

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 10:16:57 am »

The profile version refers to the version of WMVCore.dll on the system.

If you compare the v10 and v11 profiles, you'll see it's a very minor difference required.  I have no idea why Microsoft doesn't maintain backwards compatibility of profiles.

Regardless, we're investigating this and will include an updated profile in MC 14 if we can reproduce the problem here.

Thanks.

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 10:55:44 am »

MC14

I still cannot rip a CD.

Since this is now an MC14 problem, I'll post a new message in the MC14 section.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 11:03:24 am »

Maybe you didn't see what Matt said above:

You might try APE or FLAC.

Microsoft breaks support for the lossless encoder profile each OS upgrade.  You might also have luck editing the lossless profile in [MC]\Plugins\WMAProfiles.

From your description, it's not a ripping problem.  It's an encoding problem with WM lossless.  You could use APE or FLAC as a workaround until MC14 supports the WM lossless format in this unreleased version of Windows.  Then convert.
Pages: [1]   Go Up