INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library server and external device sync problem  (Read 1407 times)

wisedan

• Recent member
Library server and external device sync problem
« on: August 29, 2009, 09:09:02 pm »

I have set up MC 14 on an HTPC and activated the library server.  I am accessing the files from another computer, which I connect to my Touch Pro phone as an external hard drive.  However, I can't sync any files.

Here's what happens.  The library files from the server, when viewed on the client computer, are listed as being on drive D, in D:\music.  However, the file is on the shared drive, not on a local drive.  When I attempt sync files from this library, MC reports the files I want to add as "file missing."  I assume that MC is looking in local drive D for the file, and, of course, it isn't there. 

What am I missing here?  Is it possible to sync to handhelds and use the library server as well?

thanks for the help, all.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Library server and external device sync problem
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 01:18:10 am »

While there are some bugs in Library Server I can sync to my WinMo Touch HD both when connected as a "Drive" and through "Sync" (note: I do have Windows Mobile Device Manager installed and working with the PC - so I don't know if you will need this for the relevant Window drivers)  The following setup workes for me in both Vista 32-Bit and now Win 7 32-Bit:
1) The Library on the Sever was created using UNC NOT Relative file paths (eg all songs are imported from //SERVER/Music, not D:/Music)
2) The Client PC also has access to the //SERVER/Music share
3) The Client PC has enabled "Tools --> Options --> Library and Folders --> Play local file if....is found"

One of the bugs is if you set Sync to convert your files to another format the filename will get stuffed up.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

wisedan

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 11:04:49 am »

Thanks for the details on your setup, Nathan.  How do you set the library to UNC?  Other than that, I have everything as you've described.  I can sync with this device on the client when I use the local library, so I know that part is working.
Daniel

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 03:50:15 am »

It is slightly different pending your version of Windows but to to create a UNC share, right click on the folder you want to share in Explorer --> Properties -> Sharing --> Advanced Sharing and complete the details you want.  You should then be able to address the folder using \\SERVER\SHARENAME from any PC on your network including the PC you just did this from.  I then import all my media FROM THE SHARE so when I copy the library around the path is the same for all PC's.
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

wisedan

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 12:06:28 pm »

Makes sense.  I had already set up the share but didn't do the import from there.  Trying to change the library and keep the views intact was a challenge, but accomplished.  And the UNC share path is now working on the client machines. 

The only remaining downside of this is that there is no recovery from deletions.  Windows recycle bin doesn't work with shares.  Other than backup, do you know of a work-around?

Thanks.
Daniel

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 04:40:49 pm »

Yeah - I also occasional make the mistake of adding items to my Library from the path not the share....delete, re-import...

anyway....I did not know that recycle bin did not work with UNC deletions (good to know).   Along these lines, I also grapped with if I give READ/WRITE access to the shares or just READ access as I don't know how the impact the kids will have on it.  I've decided to leave it as READ/WRITE for now as I have a seperate WHS setup that I use for rolling daily automated backup up of all PC's on my LAN, and for the MEDIA, I use it's public folders to hold a copy of my Media which I manually sync periodically using SyncToy2 (which previews any changes prior to doing the backup so I can catch any unwanted changes).

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up