INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting Up Recordings With Library Server  (Read 4138 times)

cncb

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Setting Up Recordings With Library Server
« on: September 02, 2009, 12:24:22 pm »

Will this be possible in the future?  I would need to set up recordings on the "server" from another PC since it is not possible to do in Theater View ("server" PC displayed on TV using remote so standard view is not convenient).
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

cncb

• MC Beta Team
Re: Setting Up Recordings With Library Server
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 11:13:01 am »

Will this be possible?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 11:26:47 am »

I don't follow what you're saying.

You probably know that you can select a program in Theater View and tell MC to record it.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 11:30:43 am »

I want to add and edit "subscription recordings".  The only way to do this currently is in Standard View.  Since my server would be set up to operate with a remote and not a keyboard I would like to walk to another PC and do this via Library Server.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 11:51:50 am »

It would also be nice to be sitting at another PC, see a program in the guide I would like to record and watch later (on the server) and set the server to record it.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 12:08:42 pm »

Extending full read/write access to Library Server clients for television recordings is on the list.

It may be a month or two until we get to it.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 12:53:49 pm »

Extending full read/write access to Library Server clients for television recordings is on the list.

Ok, thanks.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 01:37:28 am »

I think library server may be the solution I'm looking for (if extended quite a bit).  Basically, have HTPC clients that connect to library server and get full access to view television, play content (assuming all accessible directly--not proxied through server MC--although a proxy would be useful in some cases), etc.  Then perhaps take the next step and allow settings to be forced on clients--all my clients must record new ripped music in FLAC to //server/Beryllium/Music... no questions asked.  No change available on client.  That's what I would greatly appreciate!

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 07:28:00 pm »

Thanks.

Hi Matt,

Any news/updates on this? 

I tried setting a program to record from a client hooked to the library server, and it appeared to accept this/work.  The problem is that I don't currently have the antenna hooked up, so can't really test to verify it is working.

I also tried to watch live TV, and it erred with "MC encountered errors trying to play the last several files..."

I'm guessing you guys haven't conquered live TV over the library server yet.  Any thoughts/plans on this for the future, if in fact not working currently?
pretend this is something funny

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 09:00:16 pm »

I still can't figure out the best way to run HTPC boxes.  Library server or a "shared" database--which doesn't allow for tagging and has other limitations.

If TV could be streamed over library server, that would be great for WAN usage (if re-encoded or through sufficient bandwidth).  I'm not sure if it would be helpful with hdHomeRun, though, because it's just a readily accessible network resource at the moment.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 03:09:05 pm »

Is this still on the list?  Thanks.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 02:28:51 am »

This is a reality now for HDHomeRun users (couple of minor bugs). 
- One PC is the Server, rest are the Client using Library Server. 
- Install HDHomeRun SW on all PC's
- Configure all for Recording / Timeshifting to something like \\SERVERNAME\Media\Video\TV Recordings\  that all pc's have access to
- Ensure the Library Server PC auto imports on this folder

Any PC that records anything will have it added to the Library Server with a couple of minor bugs:
1) Meta Data need fixing (eg see the pic below - the bottom one is from a Library Server Client, the top is from the PC running Library Server)
2) You need to reload the Library from the client to see the changes.
JRiver CEO Elect

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 07:14:44 am »

Any PC that records anything will have it added to the Library Server with a couple of minor bugs:

That's not quite what I need.  I want to be able to watch Live TV locally on clients but set up recordings to take place on the server instance since it is the only PC dedicated to recording and runs 24/7.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 01:28:32 pm »

I can do that now, but you will need something like a HDHomeRun or a tuner in each box (note: there are 2 simultaneous tuners per HDHomeRun).
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 01:54:52 pm »

I can do that now, but you will need something like a HDHomeRun or a tuner in each box (note: there are 2 simultaneous tuners per HDHomeRun).

I also have the HDHomerun but if I set up a recording via Library Server will the server PC record the program while I can shut down the client (rather than just have the client record to the network drive)?  It did not work like this before.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 03:07:09 pm »

Sorry - I think I see what you mean.  The recording is done at the PC that you initiate it.  If you want it to happen on the PC running the Library Server, you would need to logon to that PC (physically or remotely) to either manually record OR create the schedule.  I see no way of doing this from a Library Server Client where the recording will then take place on the Library Server box.
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 04:51:04 pm »

Having said all of that I don't seem to be able to get schedule recording to work at all (I've posted a log / bug report elsewhere).  What I did notice however is that these recording schedules must be a part of the Library that is serverd to the clients as it shows up in theirs as well.  What I don't know is if all the clients will also try to record these shows simultaneously....
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 04:55:37 pm »

Recording depends on Media Server being running, so it can start up recording at the right time.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 04:57:54 pm »

Thanks - I've tried it with and without media server running....no difference for me
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 02:17:53 am »

Recording now working (a bug if you specified UNC for your recording folder has been fixed)
JRiver CEO Elect

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 03:09:15 pm »

As far as I know this didn't make it into MC14 so I hope it can be put into MC15.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2010, 05:09:28 pm »

Yes, I would also love to see this working in MC 15.

Ideally, I want to have access from my laptop to the media stored on the HTPC.  I have no preference if it's thru the library server, or a shared library, or a profile, or magic  :) 

I want (full control) to be able to watch live or recorded TV, setup recordings, delete shows (and any media), fully tag my media and (perhaps) copy/move files ON THE HTPC from my laptop, or better yet, my mobile device.  I would like another user to be able to do the same, ideally we could both watch the same/different program at the same time.  This kind of works now, which is very cool, but only from recorded TV, and it was not smooth.  That may be a matter of fine tuning. I'm still playing with functionality capabilities at this time.

I am using a library shared on the HTPC, as described below, and the playback of recorded media is pretty good.  i think I can get it smooth with some tweaking, but live TV simply does not work at all.  I cannot find a way to view live TV on the laptop with the tuners in the HTPC.  I've tried with the shared library and library server, and no live TV remotely that I can find.

Another problem is that I can't manage (setup, change, delete) recordings from the laptop.  I can if I remote into the HTPC, but that's obviously not ideal.  If the laptop is the first to open the shared library, it gets control, but this can't happen because the library server needs to be running in order to record the programs.  So I need to remote into the HTPC, kill LS, open the shared library on the laptop, then shut the shared library on the laptop when I'm done, then remember to open LS on the HTPC again so recordings will start again, and I'll miss anything during the downtime.  Again, not ideal.

Is there any way to detach Library Server from *all* clients, and just allow multiple connections to it from various clients (connected machines), switching full rights to the newest/selectable connected user?  This way LS can always be running, on whichever machine houses the tuners and hard drives, then each machine can connect to it independently, including the machine the Library Server is running on (the HTPC in my case).  It gets completely separated from all users/libraries/profiles and just handles the serving of the media to the clients.  the clients configure how they process the media being delivered.  they control the codecs, audio/video settings, playback controls, tweaks, whatever all handled by the client/user/profile, and automatically any required conversion is handled by the Library Server, to save on bandwidth when streaming.  (I'm guessing the Server would then need to have it's own copies of the codecs from all machines, or maybe not.)  maybe allowing the clients to do this is easier/better for some reason?

Either way this would give us full control to setup and configure and use MC locally, with all our media stored remotely.  I would assume this could be expanded to allow the Library Server to serve media stored on any of the connected machines, but that would get a lot tougher to manage I should think.

Since TV can be set to start in time-shifting mode, live TV could be started from the client, time-shifted on the HTPC, then streamed from the recording to the client.  Again, this kind of works now with recorded(ing) shows, but it cuts off at the time of the length of the program that had been recorded when you started playback.  In other words, I started a show recording from a remote connection on the HTPC client library.  after 16 minutes of it recording, I started watching it on my laptop shared library.  it stuttered for about 15 seconds, then went into smooth playback for the next 10 minutes.  then as a test, I had my wife open MC and open the same shared library, select the same program, then start playback.  Sure enough hers started from the beginning and stuttered a bit, then went into smooth playback.  this lasted a couple of minutes, then my playback began stuttering, and hers continued along without stuttering.  When my playback got to 16 minutes (the length it had recorded when I began playback on my laptop) , it stopped, they progress bar was at the end, there was no more program recognized by the client (my laptop connection to the shared library) so it stopped.  I checked the remote connection and the show was still recording and my wife watched until about 26 minutes, then hers stopped.

so, if there was a way to make the connection, in this case, the local laptop connection to the shared library, more self aware and auto update to know that the show didn't end, there was more recording to continue on to, this would be "working" now.  (this would ideally be resolved by the individual connections directly to the library server)

Matt said this was on the list in September, and I know a lot has changed since then, but hopefully it's creeping back up the list towards some serious attention, because getting live and recorded TV working on clients, laptops, iPads, mobile devices, whatever, will allow me (and lots of people) to ditch cable/satellite/pay TV.  yeah, there's some stuff on cable that I can't find on the internet somewhere, but OTA TV is enough for me, but it's just not quite usable for the wife, and I don't have the energy to manage it and her at the same time, so the simple remote (U-Verse) that costs $50/month gets used to watch pretty much the same stuff I record OTA.

***Current setup***
I have an HTPC with my raided hard drives in an aluminum case above my Receiver, below the TV.  The TV is the only monitor for the HTPC.  It's currently also hooked up to U-Verse, but I'm hoping/planning on dumping it soon.  This will result in the HTPC being the only input into the TV/Monitor.

I have a local library stored on this machine.

I have a local library stored on my laptop.  I do most work, tagging, ripping and listening on the laptop.

My wife has a laptop, it also has a local library.

I have a dual digital TV tuner in the HTPC.  The local library has these tuners configured correctly.  I record TV to the HTPC Raid 1 drives partition locally for TV, and long term storage and music and photos are on the RAID 5 drives.

I can watch TV on my laptop if I am using library server on the HTPC, and have the HTPC served library as the "local" library selected on the laptop.  This won't let me actually delete watched shows, or move them to someplace to delete later as even a temporary solution.  I have to either go to the HTPC or remote in, or navigate to them in windows explorer to actually delete the files.  this is not ideal.  I also cannot setup any timeshifting with this library either.  it appears I can, but it doesn't actually record.

I can't watch TV at all with the local laptop library loaded, the laptop has no tuners, so no channels can be selected.  it also seems to not let me even watch the recorded TV on the HTPC thru the TV interface.  I can't see any channels, so I can't set up or see or change any recording of TV from this library either.

I have set up a library stored on the HTPC, on a shared drive, and use that library from the laptop, and that's how I'm currently setup.
pretend this is something funny
Pages: [1]   Go Up