INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: System Volume slider and WinXP  (Read 907 times)

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
System Volume slider and WinXP
« on: September 05, 2009, 05:22:21 am »

I have a PC with two soundcards. One for pre-listening with headphones one for regular output. Works great! I choose the headphone soundcard to be the default system sound card so no other program should be able to create a sound through the public speakers accidentally.

If I choose the MC volume slider to control the system volume while playing the "public speaker" zone, shouldn't it be then connected with the master volume of the current playing soundcard instead of the systems default card? With the current setup changing the volume within MC doesn't have effect for the playback, if the slider is set to system volume and any other than default soundcard is set for output.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: System Volume slider and WinXP
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 09:34:58 am »

If I choose the MC volume slider to control the system volume while playing the "public speaker" zone, shouldn't it be then connected with the master volume of the current playing soundcard instead of the systems default card?

The volume attempts to bind to the current output device.  Depending on the output plugin, it can be tricky.  For example, there's no direct mapping from an ASIO output to a system volume slider, so there's a little guesswork.  Direct Sound will have a more direct mapping.

Worst case, you can always use 'Internal Volume'.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
Re: System Volume slider and WinXP
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 12:48:36 pm »

Worst case, you can always use 'Internal Volume'.

After playing around an hour or so I found that using internal volume is the best case for my use! No need for System Volume control anymore.

But if I got you right it doesn't work as expected: I'm using Direct Sound or Waveout and it does not bind to current output device but to the system default (using WinXP).
Pages: [1]   Go Up