INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC13 -> MC14 Upgrade  (Read 4117 times)

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
MC13 -> MC14 Upgrade
« on: May 20, 2009, 06:03:04 pm »

There were quite a few requests for this, so I'll ask before I embark on the upgrade process and have to manually try to work out all my current settings.

Will there be an upgrade process for MC13 to Mc14 that will bring our current settings over?

If the answer is NO, then  can I just export my registry groups for Media Center 13 rename them to  Media Center 14 and  then re-import my MC13 registry groups so I can then run both in Parallel?
Given that MC13 and MC14 are basiclly identical at this point, I'm assuming this should work??

Richard

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC13 -> MC14 Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 06:37:38 pm »

There were quite a few requests for this, so I'll ask before I embark on the upgrade process and have to manually try to work out all my current settings.

Will there be an upgrade process for MC13 to Mc14 that will bring our current settings over?
I saw the many requests.  It's on the list of "nice to have", which is behind the list of "good ideas" and the list of "darned good ideas" and ....  So I can't give you any cause for hope right now.  Sorry.
If the answer is NO, then  can I just export my registry groups for Media Center 13 rename them to  Media Center 14 and  then re-import my MC13 registry groups so I can then run both in Parallel?
Given that MC13 and MC14 are basiclly identical at this point, I'm assuming this should work??
You can run in parallel without a problem.  Copying the registry entries would probably work.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 06:40:58 pm »

Backup and restore of settings is something that is often requested.  We'd like to do it.  It's not simple to make bullet-proof since so much could change on the system.  As a far fetched example, what if the folder that used to be my ripping folder is my Windows folder on a new machine?

With that said, a registry dump / import will work pretty well for an advanced user.

[double-posted with Jim, but I'll leave both answers]
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 08:14:07 pm »

Right, so just focus on transferring the settings that are not system specific, and then the ones that are that WERE changed from the defualt, pop up a wizard to prompt the user to make the approriate system specific changes.  If those settings weren't change then the wizard would not prompt them.

That would be pretty sweet!!!
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 09:50:00 pm »

Right, so just focus on transferring the settings that are not system specific, and then the ones that are that WERE changed from the defualt, pop up a wizard to prompt the user to make the approriate system specific changes.  If those settings weren't change then the wizard would not prompt them.

That would be pretty sweet!!!

Exactly.

Although in regards to an upgrade chances are the hardware/OS are the same so all the settings should carry over and I would have thought would be an easy job to code, and would keep a lot of existing users happy and more inclined to upgrade (as it's easier).

For  a backup/restore situation, then anything that isn't correct (drive paths changed) just default to the "default" settings.

R

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 11:58:16 pm »

Yes, many of the settings that would save me a lot of time dont relate to file location (to my ignorant knowledge).

ie.
Auto download podcasts (off)
Repeat (off)
Volume levelling: Album based (DSP studio)
Auto import (off)
Web media links

And then in options:

Minimize to system tray
Double click behaviour
Play button behaviour
Switch tracks (gapless)
Sorting (ignore articles)
Tree (auto expand)

I dont even need the ability to transfer options relating to folder location (ripping, auto import etc.) since I do all my media organization and aquisition on my main computer, and I can live with setting those parts up manually on an upgrade.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 12:30:35 am »

I did the registry swap jig between 13-14 to preserve things like favourites, ipod settings, mru lists for the rename and fill props tools etc etc.

Those irritating little square things that get converted to CR LF on export are still a problem I've not been able to work round yet, which means I have to go through the pain of setting up auto import from scratch again.

-marko.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 12:56:50 am »

Those irritating little square things that get converted to CR LF on export are still a problem I've not been able to work round yet, which means I have to go through the pain of setting up auto import from scratch again.

Hmm, I don't have any of them. I'm on XP is this a Vista issue?

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 01:42:25 am »

Posted a hack to those over here

I'm less bothered about the registry setting as the compulsory resetting of columns for all viewschemes & smarlists which does not happen within versions but always across them !!

This takes many hours of comparison to reset back and is a PITA :(

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 02:20:34 am »

I think if it is not too much trouble, there should be a backup/restore system.
For those items that could be changed (but what system is going to do that?), default them.

MC is getting too complex for a 'reconfigure' between builds. Maybe when it was music only.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 03:38:09 am »

It's not simple to make bullet-proof since so much could change on the system. 

I'll be the first to say I've no idea how extensive (if at all) the changes under the hood are from 13.0.170 to 14.0.1.....but I'm willing to bet a both Matt and Jim beer it 'aint great, and I'd go so far to suggest it is about the same as going from 13.0.170 to 13.0.171 (the Aussie $ had picked up a bit so I'm confident that a couple of beers will not cost me much if I lose!).  The point is if that the "upgrade" to 14 is really no more than a point upgrade you could offer the installer the option to "Do You want MC14 to be Configured using your MC13 Settings" and then just copy the registry info just like you copy the library duing the initial install.   

I take Matt's overall point that it "could" be in some cases more extensive in which case a simple "Export Settings to Configuration Files" and a corresponding "Import Settings from Configuration File" would work well both for upgrades and keeping multiple installs in sync.

Thanks
Nathan

PS - let me know what beer you like (I'll take a Guinness - the 440ml can with widget thanks)
JRiver CEO Elect

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 08:07:25 am »

I'm less bothered about the registry setting as the compulsory resetting of columns for all viewschemes & smarlists which does not happen within versions but always across them !!

Columns are stored in the library, and would be restored with a library restore from a backup.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 08:31:02 am »

The point is if that the "upgrade" to 14 is really no more than a point upgrade you could offer the installer the option to "Do You want MC14 to be Configured using your MC13 Settings" and then just copy the registry info just like you copy the library duing the initial install.   

Perfect for 99-100% of people upgrading from 13 to 14 I would have thought.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 08:32:41 am »

Columns are stored in the library, and would be restored with a library restore from a backup.

I've not done a restore when going to a new version just installed and it picked up the default library on its own. I only use one library.

I've had this happen with v12 & 13.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 06:23:31 pm »

FYI - I'm moving to V14 and it's too hard keeping multiple seperate instances up to date!
JRiver CEO Elect

Dragyn

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 08:22:04 pm »

man.. I had v13 installed then my pc decided to die. so I installed just 14.

Is there a way to upgrade without having to install v13 again?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 10:32:11 pm »

Dave,
If you mean the license, I can fix that tomorrow for you.

Jim

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 09:54:50 pm »

I'm probably going to move to it this coming weekend.  Particularly if there is anything interesting in the new builds.  We're getting into my busy season again here, so I might be more quiet, but I'll be following along at home as usual.   ;)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 10:05:30 pm »

I'm probably going to move to it this coming weekend.  Particularly if there is anything interesting in the new builds.  We're getting into my busy season again here, so I might be more quiet, but I'll be following along at home as usual.   ;)

Wow - no post for almost a month!  Welcome Back!
JRiver CEO Elect

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 10:13:06 pm »

Oh, I've been creeping around here and there.  Had some bad computer luck, coupled with a busy couple of weeks at work (and as I said, it is getting to be busy season at work, doubly so this year due to the layoffs).

Plus, nothing earth shattering really seemed to be going on, other than the launch of MC14, which is obviously still early.  Still, though, MC14 should keep me interested and poking around even though I'll be busier.

The main problem is that my busy season at work happens to correspond with the onset of nice weather (and in Maine, that is a pretty big deal).  So, that time not spent working has to contend with the lure of the outdoors, of both the "drinking on the porch of the camp and watching the sunset over the ocean" and the "hiking and kayaking" varieties.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 10:33:15 pm »

Just started playing with MC14 a bit tonight...

After thinking about it more clearly, I'm going to keep my library where it is for the time being and stick with MC13 except for on my laptop for testing.  For now.  Right now, I think that'll be safer, and will probably allow me to provide more useful feedback on the application for JRiver.  I'm going to leave all my options set to the defaults (except for writing tag changes to files, not just yet).  I did use an imported library (I also let it import it to the default location), but I may make a new blank one (and then import my files).

This wouldn't really be possible if I were going to use it full-time, but should allow me to mess with it for now and give them some better out-of-the-box feedback.

Dragyn

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 08:43:26 pm »

Dave,
If you mean the license, I can fix that tomorrow for you.

Jim

Sorry.. I forgot I posted.
Anyway, I just bought the full thing again. No big deal.
Keep up the great work.

jacky

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2009, 09:16:50 pm »

Has the status of the transferability of settings changed?   I recall that a method involving the copying of registry entries could be used to transfer settings between MC13 and MC14.   Is this correct?  What are the viable methods for setting transferal between MC13 and MC14 now?

Alexx

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Now I feel wonderful!
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2009, 07:15:16 am »

With that said, a registry dump / import will work pretty well for an advanced user.

This is the route I took and it worked just fine with only some minor tweaking to v.14 settings after the fact.

jacky

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2009, 11:27:03 am »

which folder in the registry should be copied for equalizing the settings between MC13 and MC14
Pages: [1]   Go Up