INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building a new HTPC 32bit/64bit  (Read 4418 times)

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
Building a new HTPC 32bit/64bit
« on: September 07, 2009, 03:04:43 am »

I know there is no right or wrong answer but, If you were building a new HTPC (music playback,playing DVD rips) would you build 32 bit or 64?
Thanks

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Building a new HTPC 32bit/64bit
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 03:09:34 am »

It depends on the OS. If it's Windows 7, I'd definitely go for 64 bit. It's so good, and the driver support is just as good as 32bit. I think all your apps and codecs for music would work just as well in 64bit as well.

As Win7 and Vista is very similar regarding drivers, I would also go for Vista 64 bit. XP = 32 bit. XP 64 bit have never been good.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 04:40:09 am »

I too had to make this choice with my recent Win7 Upgrades (from Vita) and decided that while my main PC/Server went 64-Bit to take advantage of the larger memory space, on my HTPC I went 32-bit as most of the apps, filters etc are still 32-Bit....and that is all it does.
JRiver CEO Elect

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 10:57:02 pm »

Thanks.  I was thinking of 64bit for Win7 but, have to buy Vista now to use until the release.  Would like to be able to upgrade to Win7 and not do a full install.
Guess I'll buy 64.
Thanks again

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 01:44:15 am »

Thanks.  I was thinking of 64bit for Win7 but, have to buy Vista now to use until the release.  Would like to be able to upgrade to Win7 and not do a full install.
Guess I'll buy 64.
Thanks again

You should get Win7 in both 32 and 64 bit versions when buying it (not sure when it's an upgrade though). If you buy a Vista 64 bit fist and try out the apps, filters and codec you need you'll find out if any of them don't cope with 64 bit OS, and you can switch Win7 to 32 bit maybe? Better ask the sellers of Vista when you buy it.
Anyway... I believe most of apps, filters and codecs written in 32 bit should work fine in a 64bit system, but you might be unlucky and hit a rough spot though.

A full install is anyway the best approach when upgrading. There is just to much crap that's left in the system after upgrading. There's always a chance the system might be unstable or slow, or both. Might be just fine as well. Maybe the upgrade process have gotten cleaner over the years?

Daydream

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 02:35:08 am »

Let's make it clear: the OS is not so important. Vista / 7 on 32bit will use 32 bit codecs. The 64bit can use either codecs 32 or 64 bit. BUT. The whole decoding chain has to be 32 bit or 64 bit. You can't mix and match codecs from both.

And that's where the problems come in for certain file types. MKV playback on x64 is sketchy at best: Haali Splitter for x64 is experimental (if you get your hands on it) and hasn't been any news on that front for months. If one uses Gabest's mkv x64 spliter there's no access to all streams. Also ffdshow x64 is in experimental stages so you take your chances.

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 11:45:05 pm »

Well, I hope i can get it to work out.  Ordered the system parts on Vista 64 this morning..
Thanks for the replies.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 11:29:48 pm »

I've had no substantial problems with Windows 7 64-bit and media playback, including for MKVs.  There's no need to worry about 64-bit specific filters currently.  The standard x86 ones work just fine.  I use the filters included in the current public build of CCCP plus CoreAVC Professional on multiple Win7 x64 machines without issue.

There's absolutely no reason to choose anything other than Windows 7 64-bit right now.  All versions of Windows 7 will come with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions on the disc, including Upgrade copies.  The only possible exception is OEM discs, which Microsoft hasn't announced policy on.  However, even if you buy an OEM copy when they're available, the license will be good for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the OS (we're just not clear on what will be on the disc itself).  We should have those details by the launch, anyway, and you can't pre-order OEM copies.

You might as well go 64-bit now.  There aren't substantial problems with it, and then you can upgrade to 4GB of RAM or more.  Even if you don't have 4GB now, you might want to at some point down the road, and re-installing Windows then in 64-bit mode would be annoying just to add more RAM.

If you can return the Vista install, just return it.  You don't want that.  If you buy a pre-built system from most major vendors right now, you will qualify for a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it ships next month (plus shipping and handling, of course).  However, this offer is from "participating vendors only" and likely doesn't include copies you buy from Newegg or Amazon or anything (though it might be worth checking).  So, if you already bought it, just send it back when it comes without opening it.  (EDIT: Actually, my bad.  You CAN order Vista from Newegg now and you qualify for a free upgrade to Windows 7 via a coupon.  So that'd be another way, if you get a coupon like that, just don't bother to install Vista.)

Pre-order Windows 7 Home Premium instead.  You can install Windows 7 now (there are plenty of places to get an ISO for free right now, including from Microsoft themselves).  You just make sure to install the proper version that you'll want in the end (don't install Ultimate if you're only going to buy Home Premium), and then leave the CD Key field BLANK.  Windows 7 will install and run just fine without the CD Key.

Follow these instructions to convert any version of the Windows 7 install disc to a "general version" that will ask you what version you want to install (so that you don't have to install Ultimate, and can install Home Premium or Professional or whatever instead):
http://www.jasdhaliwal.com/microsoft/how-to-install-any-version-of-windows-7/

Then, when it asks you to Activate, just skip it or say later.  You have 30 days.  Then, when you're getting close to the 30 days, just follow these instructions: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/11/06/how-to-rearm-and-extend-free-usage-activation-grace-period-of-windows-7-to-120-days/

(This is not a hack or illegal.  Microsoft knows about this, has advertised it on their own TechNet blogs, and is fine with it).  You can "re-set" the 30-day activation clock up to three times total (so a max of 120 days if you always wait until exactly the 30th day each time).

Either way, if you pre-order, the disc and (more importantly) the serial number will be there on October 22nd, so you won't need anywhere near 120 days.  You'll only need to re-set the activation counter once at this point.  As soon as the serial comes in the mail, just activate Windows 7 (which you can do at any time from inside the System Control Panel item, under System & Security).

That's how I'm running ALL of my machines right now except for my HTPC (and I'm gonna get to that world-of-hurt upgrade soon enough).

PS. If you plan to upgrade multiple machines all at once when it comes out, don't pre-order now.  Wait for the Family Pack upgrade option, available in most countries at launch or very soon thereafter.  The Family Pack will include 3 upgrade licenses for Windows 7 Home Premium for $149.99.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 02:08:25 am »

Thanks for the info.  Wish I wold have read it sooner.  I put the new machine together yesterday with Vista 64.  I bought from Newegg so will get the free upgrade.  
Still have to figure out filters.  

Anyway, Thanks again!

MrHaugen

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 08:23:04 am »

Still have to figure out filters.  

Install CCCP. It should take care of most formats and containers.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 10:19:22 am »

Install CCCP. It should take care of most formats and containers.

I agree.  If you want better performance, purchase and install CoreAVC as well (install it AFTER CCCP).

If you ever want to get into tweaking the filters for quality, this is a good starting point.  Then research what you need to do on AVSForums.  But, you don't really need to bother in most cases, unless you have a fancy and high-end audio setup.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 09:46:38 pm »

A new version of CCCP recently came out (CCCP 2009-09-09).

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 05:11:24 am »

Don't think some would consider it "high end" but, it's a pretty sweet setup. 
I installed the new CCCP today before work and everything I checked works.

Only issue I noticed now is using WASAPI everything sounds ok.  With Receiver set to Auto, 2 channel plays from front 2.  Multi channel playback works but, the Number of channel indicator and DTS light ect on the receiver do not light up.  I think it showed PCM.
Don't mean to sound stupid but, is this normal?  I just moved the receiver from upstairs where all of the lights worked.
Where do I start?
Thanks

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 07:28:00 pm »

I know this is an old thread but I'm about to make the decision too, 32/64bit Windows 7 for my HTPC.

For those running Windows 7 on their systems, any new or additional thoughts?

Cheers
Richard

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 10:31:37 pm »

I still agree with myself above.

HiFiTubes