INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stuttering video from lack of Bandwidth [solved]  (Read 1276 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Stuttering video from lack of Bandwidth [solved]
« on: September 07, 2009, 07:26:26 am »

I need some Network help!   Unfortunately I cannot run CAT5/6 between one side of the house to the other so I’m using Home Powerline as a bridge (click on the image below to see my home network).  The problem is the Kids Laptops (either wired or un-wired) are stuttering when playing video hosted on the Main PC, yet the Main PC can play the same video file of the WHS (Backup) just fine.

I’ve done plenty of trial and error but I just don’t get what is happening as the NW throughput seems to be 3 times faster on one than the other!
1) 15MBits/sec = File Transfer Speed when the Kids Laptop (Win7 32-Bit) is copying a file from the Main PC (Win7 64-Bit) either wired or un-wired (so it’s not a wireless issue & I’ve also tried plugging the Kids Laptop directly into the Netgear XAV101 – same speed).
2) 50MBits/sec = File Transfer Speed when the Main PC is copying a file from the WHS Backup (WinHome Server)

Playback “used” to work fine but I’ve changed many things….Any Help / suggestions would be great

Also is it possible in MC14 to have a Video Playback Buffer (like with Audio)?

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Help Please - stuttering video from lack of Bandwidth
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 07:35:22 am »

If you have an XP notebook, try that.

I'm trying to remember what I read recently about Windows 7 allocating bandwidth.

Also, you've probably already done this, but I would take a look at what else is running in the background.  Does it have high priority and should it?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 07:39:45 am »

Thanks Jim - I've an XP notebook so I will try that and I know that there are all sorts of QOS stuff running on the OS, Routers, Powerline that I've never played with.  I'm also see heaps of UPnP stuff advertising itself as well....I just don't get why it is 3 times quicker one way than another....
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 02:43:30 am »

Go Figure...The culprit was the D-Link "gigabit" switch - cheap & nasty consumer grade c**p that apparantly does not like sending data to the 100Mbit port on the powerline adapter....so I'm just using the inbuilt switch on the WRT310n for now....and there is a bunch of hours I'll never get back!

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up