INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MOVE a file within Playing Now?  (Read 2238 times)

Scronch

MOVE a file within Playing Now?
« on: July 08, 2002, 09:15:00 pm »

In Playing Now, I right-click a file that's way down the list, then select Send To > Playing Now - Add (as next to play).  A copy appears as next to play, but the original is still there.

I guess it makes sense that, when using this command on a list external to PN, you don't want the original deleted.  But shouldn't we have a "Move to" command, especially for within PN?

If I'm missing an easy way to do this, please tell me what it is.  I'm having to go back to drag-and-drop, which is no good with long lists.

Why not implement ctl-x, ctl-c and ctl-v?

Scronch

LCtheDJ

RE:MOVE a file within Playing Now?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2002, 06:52:41 am »

If there's a band wagon for this, I'd like to jump on it too.

Please, make 'Send To' do what it says; 'Send To', not 'Copy To'.  I also agree that 'Cut and Paste' is a better alternative to 'Copy and Paste'.

From outside Playing Now, (Media Library, Playlists...) a copy is good; but when sending a track from one place on Playing Now to another place on Playing Now, it should be moved, not copied.

Although... now that the currently playing track no longer jumps from one copy to another on Playing Now, this isn't as critical as it was.

Gatobrit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2002, 07:49:08 am »

I have to agree that my longest standing (minor) gripe about MJ is the inability to easily manipulate PN and adjust the order etc.

Having said that, it isn't a high priority for me (it's not something I do every day). So something for v.9? Sure, it would be on my wish list.
Namaste,
John

Scronch

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2002, 12:28:52 pm »

I found that when using MJ just for me, manipulating PN isn't so critical.  But in a party environment, it's very important.  And not having Move To or cut-and-paste is painful.

Scronch

Scronch

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2002, 10:25:34 am »

I'm curious what JRiver's feelings are on this.  How should 'Send to' operate within Playing Now?

Scronch

PeterE

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2002, 01:47:30 pm »

Kick me if I'm missing something

...you just click and drag a line in playing now to the desired position and the play order is amended

(remember to kick if appropriate!)

Scronch

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2002, 03:20:51 pm »

Just try that when you have 500 files in Playing Now.  Have fun.

Scronch

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2002, 06:58:52 pm »

Scronch

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2002, 11:36:40 am »

This weekend I taught two friends how to use MJ.  They are sold.  Interesting, though, that one of the first things they asked was "How do I move a song's position within Playing Now?".  I showed them how to drag and drop, and then they complained that for a long list, that would be a pain.  "Yes," I said, "their best people are working on it."  (I hope.)

Scronch

Nikolay

• Former CTO, JRiver, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2002, 09:56:22 am »

We will fix it in next build.

Nikolay

Scronch

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2002, 11:17:04 pm »

You guys are so good to me.

Scronch

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2002, 12:29:29 am »

Heck, maybe I'll even become a Vikings fan.

Has Moss decided which 2 games he will play in this year?

OK, I'm done. Back to being a Packer fan...  

Scronch

Gatobrit

• Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2002, 07:03:40 am »

Thanks for working on this - it's very much appreciated.

Namaste,
Gatobrit (A.K.A. Dolly #724)
Namaste,
John

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2002, 08:04:47 am »

Hello Dolly.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Scronch

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2002, 07:46:46 pm »

"Hello, Deli
This is Joe, Deli
Won't you please send up some nice corned beef on rye?

Some turkey legs, Deli
Hard boiled eggs, Deli
With tomatoes and potatoes that you... french fry!

Please don't be late, Deli
'cause I can't wait, Deli...

Deli without breakfast I will die!!"

...Mad Magazine, circa 1969?

LCtheDJ

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2002, 09:27:48 pm »

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  That is just fantastic!  I think I'll stop looking for a DJ specialty program now.

Uh, any chance you'd consider adding two soundcard support, or split a 4 channel card (like SB Live! or TB Santa Cruz) to have a preview player send to one card (or pair of channels) while the main program goes to the other card (or pair of channels)?

Not that I don't appreciate the great advances you've made; but I'm starting to think the team there at J River can do anything if they want to.

BTW, did I say "Thank you!"?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2002, 06:15:54 am »

Uh, any chance you'd consider adding two soundcard support, or split a 4 channel card (like SB Live! or TB Santa Cruz) to have a preview player send to one card (or pair of channels) while the main program goes to the other card (or pair of channels)?

We're thinking on this one... hopefully in version 9
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

LCtheDJ

Scronch

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2002, 08:48:04 pm »

I'm curious about the desire for a 2nd music stream.  I understand the concept of a DJ "previewing" music while another song is playing, but why would you do it?  I am familiar with my whole library, so I don't need to hear a song in advance.  In the "old" vinyl days, a DJ would preview an LP, place the needle at just the right spot, then switch turntables and spin up the new one with their hand.  I guess you could preview the 2nd stream, pause it, and then switch and hit Play.  So please enlighten me as to other uses of the 2nd stream.

Scronch

LCtheDJ

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2002, 09:12:32 am »

Scronch,

One reason for preview is memory loss, not the computer's, mine.  I don't have a close familiarity with all the tracks I have.  In a DJ situation, I get requests for songs that I have but don't use much. I'd like to hear them first so I can decide whether they are appropriate to add into the main play list (Playing Now).

A host may have a similar need during a party - pre-listen to a candidate for play without interupting the party music.

This is especially true when someone brings in their own CD and wants you play something you've never heard.

Another use for two outputs would be to overlay sound effects or recorded announcements on one pair of channels (stereo, left & right) while music is playing on the other.  If you are using a hardware mixer, you can send the two signals to different sliders and do your own fades/crossfades.

I agree, this feature may only be used for special situations and not by everyone.  MJ already has a lot of features that "I" never use so why not get one for me (and a few others) that someone else never uses?

Scronch

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2002, 11:22:07 am »

Yes, I'm not saying they shouldn't add it, I was just curious as to usage.  Your points make sense to me.

Scronch
Pages: [1]   Go Up