INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unavailable Network Files  (Read 1766 times)

nuke2000

Unavailable Network Files
« on: September 09, 2009, 10:25:23 am »

Hi there

Any chance of improvements to the way MC handles offline network files. Currently we just get a prolonged stall and freeze of the programme. A nice message saying ' Chosen Media Currently offline' perhaps?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Unavailable Network Files
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 10:54:41 am »

Currently we just get a prolonged stall and freeze of the programme.

Could you provide steps to reproduce?  I've never seen this.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

nuke2000

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 11:33:36 am »

Hi there. What should i be getting on trying to play offline files as sounds like you are saying my experience is not usual. I have MC on 2 PC's, both stall and freeze on attempying to play offline video content.

nuke2000

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 02:09:51 pm »

Bump........Any further forward with this problem

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 04:01:45 pm »

Could you provide steps to reproduce?  I've never seen this.

Is this situation akin to what I reported back in MC 12?

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43689.0
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 07:10:24 pm »

I have the same problem when the files are not present when I'm navigating. Noticed it especially in Theater View. Everything locks up for several seconds over and over again. This happens when I'm just browsing. I could understand this when I try to play a file, but not when browsing only. The thumbs are build as well, so it should not be that.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

nuke2000

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 07:11:39 am »

Is this situation akin to what I reported back in MC 12?

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43689.0

Yep MrC, similar to the 12 problem. I just think that MC14 knows the share is offline (red x's) so should give us a courtesy message straight away 'chosen media is located on an offline network device' rather than locking up.

nuke2000

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 07:16:49 am »

I have the same problem when the files are not present when I'm navigating. Noticed it especially in Theater View. Everything locks up for several seconds over and over again. This happens when I'm just browsing. I could understand this when I try to play a file, but not when browsing only. The thumbs are build as well, so it should not be that.

Hi MrHaugen. As i siad in my original post it is a somewhat ungracious way of handling offline content huh? Unlike you i do not understand it when trying to play a file that is offline - I do not think MC should freeze / crash in such instances

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 07:44:04 am »

I think Matt meant that this is what you normally should see when a file is not available:

It works for me. Since you mentioned that also you see the "red x" icons you should get the same message.

Does the problem exist with all file or media formats or only with a specific format?  A playback log might provide more information (you can access the logging options in Help > Logging).

If you use Library Server and the server itself has lost the connection to a media file that is located on a separate file server, I think the client may not be able to provide similar information about the file status and may behave differently. However, the "red x" icons should not show up when the Library Server / Client feature is used so probably your problem is different.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up