INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Three-tiered layout  (Read 1131 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Three-tiered layout
« on: September 09, 2009, 12:10:56 pm »

Is there any chance the three-tiered layout of audio, images, video can be brought back or enabled?  I sincerely miss it!  Would be great to offer two rows of 3 buttons.  Why not the ability to keep playlists expanded at all times then as well--plenty of room at that point!

tjobbins

• World Citizen
Re: Three-tiered layout
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 09:11:47 pm »

Is there any chance the three-tiered layout of audio, images, video can be brought back or enabled?  I sincerely miss it!  Would be great to offer two rows of 3 buttons.  Why not the ability to keep playlists expanded at all times then as well--plenty of room at that point!

If any change is made it should definitely be configurable.  I think I prefer them off personally, but the option to have them on or off would be the best option for all.

Actually, what would be ideal is if each view scheme had two options:
  • Show icon?  Y/N
  •    Icon to use:  <Audio/Video/Image/Browse for image file..>
  •    Display label as well as icon?  Y/N

This would mean that one could configure some or all view schemes to have icons.  To get the <MC14 behaviour, one would configure the Audio, Video and Image view schemes as Show Icon = Y and choose the appropriate preset under Icon to Use.  But one could then also configure icon for one's own root view schemes: either using the preset icons (and more presets could be added), or browsing for an icon file to be used.    It's also possible to choose whether the label is displays, so you could just have the audio icon without the word 'Audio'.

Then MC would display any view schemes with icons at the top, in the tabular form as used for Audio/Video/Image before MC14.  MC would allow multiple rows, so if more than 3 are configured, it would create a second row of icons.

It would also then be nice to have a couple of options to control how MC displays the left pane.  e.g.:
  • Icons At Top    [all view schemes with icons are at the top, like audio/video/image are before MC14]
  • Icon Size  <small/medium/large - or a %>  
  • Icons Inline with View Scheme Name    [so the view schemes appear in a vertical list like they do in MC14,  but with the icon displayed small to the left of the text.]
  • Built-in items to display:   [so you can remove anything you don't want, allowing you to completely customise the left pane.]
  •   Playing Now?
  •   Drives and Devices?
  etc

I don't feel hugely strongly about this feature myself, but I would customise the left pane if these sort of options were available.

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Three-tiered layout
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 01:35:14 am »

All this customization would be powerful but even I think a bit overkill.  How about a checkbox to enable 3-tier layout for audio/images/video.  Although the ability to add a 4th might be compelling (custom).
Pages: [1]   Go Up