INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Longterm -- housewide media systems  (Read 1793 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
MC Longterm -- housewide media systems
« on: September 11, 2009, 08:40:26 am »

I would still like to see more strides toward a house-wide media system.  A more ultra-controlled system that runs directly from a connection to a server box, where all the settings and configuration modes are set.  Kind of like a media-controller (domain-controller).  When I consider the typical HTPC, it is apt to get destroyed from users reconfiguring things or a software update/OS reinstall ultimately destroying this perfect configuration.  Sure, saving and restoring settings is great, but why not have a server setup.

It could even go as far as registering each HTPC with the server and then setting its settings (on the server) and saying use global value or custom.  Then, without any effort, all the settings would be locked in--or changeable in specific cases if needed.

Also, as the number of home users increases, why not have the server take care of actual television recording while the clients are not bothered?  Then, each htpc can sleep as needed and the server (already running 24/7) can easily save out dozens of TV streams (lol).  As I return to setting up TV again, I keep thinking about recording a show: do I set it up to record on my desktop or should I set it up on the HTPC?  When a recording is scheduled, the server should track it so the other MC systems -- including separate user accounts -- would all see the updates in real time.  If they were looking at the schedule, a record symbol should pop up on the item.

Lastly, the TV interface should be greatly revamped to go for the DVR/satellite box view.  A major grid like display.  Something more pleasing and easy to view / quickly control.

benn600

Re: MC Longterm -- housewide media systems
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 08:43:55 am »

MC can do this now.  It can record as many shows as you have tuners and horsepower for.  Same for serving.  Library Server lets you share recorded TV.

I mean:

On the kitchen HTPC, select to record Show A.
On the theater HTPC, select to record Show B.
The server, which provides all the digital content, actually does the recording of Show A & B so the HTPC devices can be powered down.  A true server-client interface for this.  For developing a true housewide system, the server-client architecture, I believe, is going to have to be greatly revamped.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 09:05:02 am »

If the kitchen and theater pc's are using the library from the server, I believe this can be done now.

You can schedule a recording and put a PC to sleep.  MC will wake it up to record, then put it back to sleep.

Your situation may differ since you're using virtual tuners.

benn600

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 10:19:45 am »

I don't question that and do believe it works as you describe.  What I mean is to literally schedule the recording to take place on the server.  The reason is this:

If kitchen schedules to record Show A
Someone in the theater is browsing...hmm, Show A looks really good!  Oh, wait, it is already marked as Record [in the kitchen]!  With a server intervening--at a minimum to share record information--then the other users would be aware that this show is already scheduled for recording.

This is only effective in a shared tuner environment, too, because other wise, some systems may have access to more or fewer channels/tuners.  In my case, every system has access to precisely the same channels no matter what because all tuners are in the same location, same brand, same signal quality, everything.  Ultimately, the goal is to visually see that Show A is going to be recorded so the theater shouldn't also record it.  Both obviously record to the same location (//Server/Beryllium/Television).  Just a nice badge saying "it's already going to record" or "it's already going to record by Kitchen"

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 11:18:01 am »

I don't question that and do believe it works as you describe.  What I mean is to literally schedule the recording to take place on the server.

I agree and want this too as I brought up in the TV "board": http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=53653.0
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

benn600

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 08:11:50 pm »

I think users need the power of a dedicated database with the convenience of a shared database.  With these two HTPCs, the problem is that I need to be able to save changes--for adding newly recorded television--but also need to use a shared MC database so I can make view scheme/etc. changes once and have them copied to both.  Some serious server-client architecture would be a big help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up