INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ8 vs MJ12 (Media Server)  (Read 1594 times)

Leiph

• Recent member
MJ8 vs MJ12 (Media Server)
« on: September 12, 2009, 10:15:57 am »

I purchased the MJ8 a long time ago, and it still rocks. What I especially like is the Media Server. Is this function still present in MJ12? If yes - is the MJ12 version compatible with MJ8?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: MJ8 vs MJ12 (Media Server)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 01:15:03 pm »

The successors of "Media Jukebox 8" aka MJ8 are named as "Media Center" aka MC. MJ9 existed shortly as a beta version, but it was renamed to MC9 before the official release well over six years ago. The current version is MC14.

MJ12 provides only a somewhat reduced set of the audio features that existed in MC12 (MJ12 was developed when MC12 was the current MC version). MJ12 doesn't provide server features and it can handle only audio files.

You can import an MJ8 library to MC14 or MJ12 and preserve file data and playlists.

The server/client features in MC have improved radically and are not compatible with MJ8.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Leiph

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 03:33:44 am »

OK, no server in MJ12. Thanks for the info.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 05:47:26 am »

Correct, however, for many users MJ12 provides a lot better audio features than the old MJ8.

MC provides the best features in all areas including the server/client system. I have a few times revisited MJ8 for testing purposes and even though MJ8 was superior when compared with other programs when I started to use it seven years ago I would be seriously missing many MC's features and improvements if I were forced to downgrade to MJ8.

A purchased MJ8 license qualifies to purchase an MC license for the upgrade price.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Leiph

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 06:37:52 am »

OK, sell it to me: What in the server/client function is changed (apart from the stream protocol itself)?

(What I miss in the MJ8 is an automatic gain (aka compressor) function. The "Replay Gain" function is not very suitable for dynamic music.)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 07:07:50 am »

Library Server in MC14 can write many of the changes you make.

Tremote is a mode of Library Server in which the playback is on the server instead of the client.  It's useful for remote control of MC.

More here:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Servers
Pages: [1]   Go Up