INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Going crazy with video genres  (Read 2322 times)

Hirez24

• Recent member
Going crazy with video genres
« on: September 12, 2009, 03:02:24 pm »

All my videos have multiple genres (for example Action;thriller;drama.) Media center creates a separete genre field for each variation of the multiple genre listing which is fine, but I would all like those videos to show up in each seprate genre so the film tagged  (Action;thriller;drama) would show up in all genres that apply to that particular movie. I searched the forum but did not get any relevant information. If any one knows how to do this could you please share it with me.

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Going crazy with video genres
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 03:42:08 pm »

The standard Genre field is for recording a single genre for each item—which is the convention for music. For video, you need to create a custom list field to properly handle multiple fields. I use a number of custom fields to handle video data that does not "fit" in the standard fields provided. I distinguish them from standard fields by appending a "." to the name. In other words, I use the standard field Genre for music, and my custom list field Genre. for video.

Hirez24

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 03:53:30 pm »

Rick, Thank you for your input. Would you be able to go into greater detail as to how one would make a custom list field? Every time I go into that section of the settings I get confused. If you could point me in the right direction I would greatley apriciate it.

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 04:59:52 pm »

Go to Options - Library and Folders - Manage Library Fields. Click Add New Field and enter Genre. (with the period). Deselect all Flags other than "Video." Set Data Type to "List." That's all you have to do. If your data is imported, you may want to set Edit Type to "Cannot be edited." Set Default Search Field if you like. Click OK and you're done.

Where is your metadata coming from? You'll need to configure whatever that is to use this field.

maid

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 01:06:23 am »

Would this be how we get IMDB genre to show up in theater view?

Cheers
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 01:36:23 am »

Yes. Did you not set up custom fields when implementing PvdImport? Genre is just one of several required (if you want the information). In the default configuration, these fields begin with a period (e.g., .Genre). The description indicates it's a user field (i.e., you have to add it to MC) and the type it should be (e.g., list).

As I indicated above, my preference is to put the period at the end of the name. This way, Genre. will appear in lists where I expect it, but be distinguished from Genre (the standard field).

maid

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 01:49:10 am »

Genre is listed in PVDImport.
I have added the field Genre.
I sent file to PVDimport but the field did not fill in??

Cheers
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

rick.ca

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 02:00:13 am »

Are the field names (Genre.) exactly the same?

Does anything appear in PvdImport's SqlResult column for Genre.?

Are you refreshing the record? (A mouse-over will do the trick.)

maid

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 02:08:35 am »

Genre in Pvdimport start with a period .Genre

I have added this in MC

Yes there is type in the sql column

Cheers

rick.ca

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 02:27:40 am »

Did you also include .Genre in your view?

maid

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 02:31:43 am »

Got it going then when I tried send to with 10 files MC crashed

cheers

gappie

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 04:17:18 pm »

All my videos have multiple genres (for example Action;thriller;drama.) Media center creates a separete genre field for each variation of the multiple genre listing which is fine, but I would all like those videos to show up in each seprate genre so the film tagged  (Action;thriller;drama) would show up in all genres that apply to that particular movie. I searched the forum but did not get any relevant information. If any one knows how to do this could you please share it with me.
although i use genres a list field, instead of genre, you can get genre with severl tags seperated by ; to show the movie under each category. instead of putting genre at the place you want it to show up, choose expression and put this there:
Code: [Select]
[genre]&datatype=[list]this changes the standard field behaviour in that of a list.

:)
gab

rick.ca

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 04:36:36 pm »

In general, this is a handy workaround. But for a field of this importance (assuming a significant number of videos are in the database) a dedicated list field should be provided. Too many expressions in a view slow things down.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 05:30:41 pm »

Code:
[genre]&datatype=
    this changes the standard field behaviour in that of a list.
this is great! Thanks gappie. Is it also possible though to limit the number of items in the list so that say just the first 2 items appear in the info panel?[/list]
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

gappie

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 05:50:11 pm »

this is great! Thanks gappie. Is it also possible though to limit the number of items in the list so that say just the first 2 items appear in the info panel?[/list]
    ha ralf. yes, it is possible to get the first two items by getting them one after an other.
    Code: [Select]
    ListItem([genre],0,;);ListItem([genre],1,;)&datatype=[list]gives the first two items as a list. seperated with a ;. when there is no genre or only one, the ; will still be there. but that could be ommited by adding an if , isequal and an listcount statement. if you need help with that let me know.

guess there are other ways also.

:)
    gab

raym

• MC Beta Team
    « Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 01:06:12 am »

Thanks! Yeah I'd prefer not seeing the semi-colons. I'll have a play around with this.

Cheers.
    RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
    Z-Wave Home Automation
    Pages: [1]   Go Up