INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony CDR's  (Read 2862 times)

Megasoid

• Recent member
Sony CDR's
« on: September 18, 2009, 04:05:29 pm »

I wanted to post this info on Sony CDR's. I've used these for years and never had any trouble with them until I started burning them on J Rivers media and I think I know why. I've never been able to squeeze more that 78 mins or so on them with any other music program I've used, but the JRM let's u do almost 80 mins and I don't think the Sony discs like to burn more than 78 minutes. Does that make sense to anyone? Like I said I've used them for years and never any trouble until now. Any feedback would be appreciated

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Sony CDR's
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 04:22:14 pm »

Which brand writer do you use ?

Megasoid

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 09:03:44 pm »

I've got a Plextor DVD/RW.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 03:01:23 am »

When you say trouble what do you mean ?

Which model plextor is it ?

Daydream

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 05:05:43 am »

From the description given I don't quite get it. You overburned (I assume) 74min CDs to 78min, and then tried to overburned even further to 80 minutes and it didn't work anymore. I don't see why the surprise. The fact that MC 'let's you' it's not magic, the way I remember it, it displays a big message that you're trying to write more then the available space, and it presents the user the option to overburn. Which one does on his own risk.

Megasoid

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 09:08:37 am »

What I was saying is that I've noticed that I'm getting error messages on the burn cycle when using the SONY CDR's in JRM and trying to burn 79 minutes+ up to 80 Minutes. I've used Sony CDR's for years with other music programs with no problem, but the other programs usually don't let you burn past 78 minutes, whereas JRM will let you burn almost up to 80 minutes. I was noticing on AMAZON that people are complaining about using SONY CDR's and I was just wondering if the problem is trying to burn more than 78 minutes. Anyone having problems with SONY CDR's?

Daydream

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 01:27:09 pm »

I believe you are asking the wrong question. Nobody can say that there is something wrong with a brand when you try to burn so far out of specs. Buy any kind of logic, it is to be assumed there will be problems since the dye, the reflective layers are not guaranteed to be of the same quality in that far outer areas, as the rest of the disc, and then it may not just be that much space! I believe what you see there is that MC present you with a warning and the option to overburn and will commence writing, at all riscs, should you choose to do so. But since a disc is made of polycarbonate and other things, not rubber, it can't be stretched forever :).

The fact that you get an error it's not the fault of the disc, it's just there is not enough space anymore. I can't comment on MC burning abilities (maybe the devs will), but not all programs will burn unconditionally, some do have a limit even for overburning. Apparently MC will let you do whatever you tell it to.

Now to get to the bottom of this and work with facts. There is a simple way to find out how much you can burn on your fav Sony CD brand. Get Nero Discspeed, check the 'Extra' menu and choose the Overburning test. That will simulate writing to your disc (without actually writing anything) and will return the last possible value that can be written on that brand, given your media and CD writer.

Then you will know for sure how much can you burn on it, overburning included. Some brands can be overburned more than then others; sometimes the writer is important too but not so much as the blanc media. Then there are the 80 min CD, the 90min CD and the 99 min CD! (which all can be further overburned with various degrees of success).

Note: This has been a fun trip down the memory lane. CDs... Geez! :)

Daydream

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 01:28:32 pm »

Well since I made another post let's add something. For 74 Min media it appears that the max burning limit is somewhere between 78 and 78:30 min. Definitely not 80. This data is rather old but so are the CDs :). Back in the days the best bet was overburning the 80min CDs which still came out OK (to be played everywhere), even overburned. The 90 and 99min blancs are so far out of specs that it wouldn't be surprising if some players will choke towards the end of the discs.

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 01:37:31 pm »

I have a Plextor Premium and I too have had trouble with Sony media.  I contacted Plextor and they pointed out that the Sony CD R's are not on their list of approved media.  I've used a number of different kinds of media and sometimes I have to reduce the write speed to prevent making coasters.  With Ridata I've have not had any difficulty writing 80 minutes of music from MC.

Tunetyme

Megasoid

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 02:20:14 pm »

I'm not really overburning the Sony CDR's if I'm doing under 80 minutes. My point is simply that I've been using these discs for years with other media programs and have had no trouble until I started using JRM. I assumed it was because JRM lets you burn discs closer to 80 minutes than other programs (Winamp, etc) do. If you try to order these Sony CDR's from AMAZON, read the comments from people on them. They are almost all negative citing burn errors. My burn errors are almost always in the first 2 or 3 tracks. I repeat I never had any trouble with Sony CDR's in Winamp or Musicmatch Jukebox or Real Player for that matter. Could it be something in JRM that affects these discs?? Thanks..

Megasoid

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 02:22:11 pm »

One other thing is that all the media that I'm using is 80mins 700MB. The only trouble is with the Sony's. TDK and Memorex are fine.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 02:23:35 pm »

I'm not sure why you're seeing this.  You could try slowing down the burn speed or you could leave an exra minute or two.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 01:53:51 am »

Which model plextor is it ?

You have not answered this question as yet ?

Megasoid

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 09:21:12 am »

The final report is that JRM doesn't like Sony CDR's and won't burn them. I made a data file using Nero the other day and the Sony CDR burned fine. I also use them when I use WINAMP aand they work fine there too. I have noticed in reviews of the Sony's on Amazon that a lot of people are having trouble with Sony CDR's but this has been my experience with them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up