INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View is good but still not perfect...  (Read 2678 times)

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Theater View is good but still not perfect...
« on: August 11, 2009, 08:22:17 am »

Last days I played a bit around with the theater view options I didn't use previously. I now have my living room MC and here it's the most important feature to get my wife happy. ;D

I noticed some space for improvements I don't want to keep as a secret myself:

1. Error: I chose to Start MC with Theater View directly under Options - start options - mode => this is ignored, I always see standard view
2. Error: Under Options - Theater View - Disable Windows Media Center... => if I tick that box it will be initial after calling the dialog again
3. Error: My preferred skin is Acajou - The main menu items "Connected" and "Info" are not working in this skin (also Noire) (sub menu's not shown)

4. Improvement: The search refers to all fields: It would be great to select either search all fields or e.g. artists, albums, ...
5. Improvement: Would it be possible to also show view schemes instead of playlists only?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Theater View is good but still not perfect...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 08:29:26 am »

1. Error: I chose to Start MC with Theater View directly under Options - start options - mode => this is ignored, I always see standard view
This works for me.

#3  -- known issues with older skins.  Changes coming.
#4  -- won't change. See next post.
#5  -- did you explore customization of Theater View?  May be possible there.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 09:23:51 am »

Roller-based skins already allow #4.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 02:45:15 am »

5. Improvement: Would it be possible to also show view schemes instead of playlists only?

View "schemes" is not used under Theater View. It's now simply called Views. You can have tons of different views in Theater View, and easily change between then. But this calls for a roller based skin I suppose. Try out the standard Theater View skin (Obsidian). Check out Tools\Options\Theater View\ Options to Show. There you can add a lot of smooth views.

Some Touch screen users seem to like the old type of skins better, but I would suggest that you try to get used of the new ones. They offer a lot more and better functions, and are pretty logical when you first have tried it one time. Instead of holding on to the old type of skins, try to suggest ways of improving the current skins. J River would appreciate that.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 09:20:47 am »

This works for me.
I checked this on two machines. Both ignored to start MC in theater view. Meanwhile I found the reason for it: I use Rivermote to allow accessing MC via ipod touch. So, that looks like I need to adress this to melloware. (Another question: is there more software around there for ipod touch / iphone meanwhile ?)

Roller-based skins already allow #4.
OK, works nice

View "schemes" is not used under Theater View. It's now simply called Views. You can have tons of different views in Theater View, and easily change between then. But this calls for a roller based skin I suppose. Try out the standard Theater View skin (Obsidian). Check out Tools\Options\Theater View\ Options to Show. There you can add a lot of smooth views.
Basically, that's fine - but there's one important difference to the playlists (and smartlists) I can access via Theater view. The views are not shown via reference. Changes in view schemes are not reflected in Theater view. The accessible playlists in Theater view are referenced only, so changes there are reflected.

Another issue with views is that I created some hierarchical views, e.g. situation = home, next level genre = rock, genre = jazz, ... => would be great if this would be taken over in theater view in the same way just by referencing to the node view.

6. one more error: If choosing DVD without DVD in the tray I receive an error message I cannot leave. I only could leave the screen by killing MC via task manager

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 10:28:01 am »

6. one more error: If choosing DVD without DVD in the tray I receive an error message I cannot leave. I only could leave the screen by killing MC via task manager

I get a message that says "There is no disc in the drive.  Please insert a disc and try again."  It has a 'Retry' and 'Cancel' button.

Anyone else?

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 10:52:53 am »

I get a message that says "There is no disc in the drive.  Please insert a disc and try again."  It has a 'Retry' and 'Cancel' button.

Anyone else?

Seeing the same message, however if the CD in the drive is a data disk, MC attempts to launch the first alphabetical file, no matter what it is.
Shouldn't really be doing this I hope :)

-Leezer-

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 03:50:53 pm »

Anyone else?

Sorry, I was unprecise. I get the same message. But pressing 'Cancel' shows no reaction. I cannot leave the screen.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 03:55:39 pm »

Try disabling any third party plugins.

MrHaugen

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 02:20:31 am »

Basically, that's fine - but there's one important difference to the playlists (and smartlists) I can access via Theater view. The views are not shown via reference. Changes in view schemes are not reflected in Theater view. The accessible playlists in Theater view are referenced only, so changes there are reflected.

Another issue with views is that I created some hierarchical views, e.g. situation = home, next level genre = rock, genre = jazz, ... => would be great if this would be taken over in theater view in the same way just by referencing to the node view.

I understand you're frustration. There are plenty of others that have the same concerns. I have gotten used to this over time though, and I really believe that separating Theater View Views and normal view schemes might be a smart choice in the long run. As the Theater View parts regarding video, series and infopane etc evolve after build to build, we might end up with two really different configurations of the views. It might not even be possible to have the same views in theater view and standard view. There will at the very least be a lot different things to consider when customizing the Schemes or Views, not to mention the programming of it all and separating the two.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 03:24:29 am »

Try disabling any third party plugins.
I found the reason for #6 ! The programming seems to be language dependent. With english language it's possible to leave the DVD not inserted message. Try out with german - here MC denies to leave the screen.

I understand you're frustration. There are plenty of others that have the same concerns. I have gotten used to this over time though, and I really believe that separating Theater View Views and normal view schemes might be a smart choice in the long run. ...

I am far away from being frustrated with this ;) It's really just in improvement proposal. On the other hand I can follow your arguments and of course it's acceptable to set up some new Theater view schemes. I've created some more or less complex view schemes I have to rebuild now. That was the aproach with my request...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 09:16:49 am »

I found the reason for #6 ! The programming seems to be language dependent. With english language it's possible to leave the DVD not inserted message. Try out with german - here MC denies to leave the screen.

Good find.

In build 51 and later:
Fixed: If 'Abort' and 'Cancel' had the same translation (like in German), it could cause some confirmation messages to not support cancel. (removed usage of 'Abort' on these dialogs -- will always use 'Cancel' instead)

yap

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 07:11:09 am »

In Theatre View, with slideshow, how do I rotate images with single click of a keyboard button or assign a command to a remote control key???

I know this is not possible in Rel.12, so is it available now in 14???

If yes, then I am happy to sign up for 14 else I'll wait for the day when MC team decided to implement such option!!! (check out irfanview in slideshow (press R or L to rotate right or left etc...))

gappie

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 07:15:36 am »

In Theatre View, with slideshow, how do I rotate images with single click of a keyboard button or assign a command to a remote control key???

I know this is not possible in Rel.12, so is it available now in 14???

If yes, then I am happy to sign up for 14 else I'll wait for the day when MC team decided to implement such option!!! (check out irfanview in slideshow (press R or L to rotate right or left etc...))

yes that is possible. you can assign it to your keyboard or remote with the mcc commands. http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Media_Center_Core_Commands#Image_tools
i have it under a button of my remote.

:)
gab
Pages: [1]   Go Up