INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Burning a Data DVD  (Read 1831 times)

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
Burning a Data DVD
« on: September 21, 2009, 02:01:12 am »

Hi, I'm having trouble burning a data DVD.  The burning action window tells me that I'm over capacity, when in fact I only used 2 gigs outs of a 4 gig DVD.  There are only two options to begin with, so I'm not sure where to go to select a Data DVD.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Burning a Data DVD
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 04:34:31 pm »

Anyone else experiencing the same trouble?  Here's my system info
Code: [Select]
Media Center 14.0.71 Registered -- E:\Program Files\Multimedia Programs\J River\Media Center 14\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
AMD Unknown 2351 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2097 MB, Free - 1405 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.13 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive G: LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1L    Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive H:   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 100
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive G: LITE-ON  DVDRW LH-20A1L     Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:17  MaxSpeed:17  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  last.fm (Active)
  Library Server (Active)
  TiVo Server (Active)
  UPnP Server (Active)
  Playing Now (Active)

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 04:46:59 pm »

I think I just figured out the problem, but I hope it's just a temporary solution.  I inserted a FujiFilm DVD-R and MC shows that I can burn it.  When I insert a Dynex DVD-RW anything I put on the burn queue, MC says the queued disc is over capacity.  Now I'm not sure if the case is that it's just an R and RW thing, or the discs themselves made by two different companies are the source of the problem.

Does everyone not have any trouble queuing a disc to burn to an a R and RW disc? 

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 10:52:54 pm »

So this is a problem I only have?

jolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 01:30:00 am »

It is kind of confusing what you are trying to do, since I see that you have Windows Explorer listed ?? What would that have to do with a a rip ?
First thing I would recommend is to STOP using Internet to a Browser that follows Industry standards, like Firefox 3.5x.
There also are additional, easier ways to play audio and video with it. Upgrade to Firefox 3.5x!

• The first thing you need to so is to see what types of DVD formats that you.
        However, by coincidence, It appears that I use the exact same Lite-On DVDRW as you do. Mine is connected via a SATA port and works great.
        So it looks like you are fine there,
  • I don't know how long you have had your Lite-On, but there was a firmware upgrade, released back in 04/08
        You can find it here: Lite-On Firmware Upgrade
  • Assuming that your Lite-On has the latest firmware, has been cleaned at some time or another, that the media you are using is clean
         and in good shape, there are some other potential issues
  • The Lite-On has no issues with DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW and DVD+RW. I also have used it many times on DL (double sided, 8.5GB), media.
  • If you are lucky enough to have a Fuji DVD-R DVD, that is manufactured by Taiyo Tuden (in Japan), then it is the highest quality DVD you can buy.
  • Dynex media is trash. It is made in Communist China, probably by CRC, with the pressure to make the media in the cheapest way possible.
        Then again, most media found in retail stores are garbage. Even ones with "names", like HP.
  • When I rip and burn, I don't let MC burn at the highest speed, Especially with garbage like Dynex, you might think about slowing down any
        Burns and Rips to 8x. If it is burning or ripping at a slower rate, and their are issues, the slower rate would have a greater
        chance of having through that.
  • How old is the Dynex DVD-RW? Have you used it several times. On RWs, If I write over them several times, I will do an extended erase,
        Takes about 20 minutes and it puts binary zeros on the media, tends to improve performance as well as makes it like new.
  • The last question is, with DVD media so inexpensive, why would you take so much time agonizing over this? Especially with a Dynex.
        Make sure that the media has been wiped with something like a micro-fibre cloth, so it is free of dust. I always do a quick
        wipe of any media I put in any of my devices, because I don't want the CD/DVD reader/writers to accumulate dust, an enemy of all
        equipment After that, can you read the Dynex RW ? That would be first. I think cleaning and slowing down the rip/burn might help with this.
        Certainly, is extended erase might help if it was used before. But, heck, if the media is bad, toss it out. It's a cheap Dynex. I personally
        use Taiyo Yuden for CD and DVD rips and Verbatim for DVD+DL and DVD-DL rips.

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 09:03:04 am »

System Info from MC automatically gives you information about IE, it doesn't mean it's the default browser being used.
FF also isn't everyone's choice of browser. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 09:58:28 am »

DVD R/W disks are working in our tests.

Is it possible the disk is full?  You can erase it by right-clicking the CD drive in Media Center and picking Erase CD/DVD.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 05:08:04 pm »

Matt,

I actually covered you on your right on recommendation.
However, I went a "little" further.
I have noticed that when I used a RW CD or DVD and wrote over it several times, it might degrade in performance and give errors.
I found that a "Full erase" fixed the RW problems in many situations.

But if there is data on it, he should be able to read it.

If his RW is good (which I doubt), and he is using a cheapo Dynex RW, then NOT burning at maximum speed probably will work, especially
after hearing that his Fuji works fine.  
RWs are a bit more sensitive, and that Full erase from time to time does help.

What fixes that, is to do a FULL erase, instead of a Quick Erase.
That is also way I asked if the Dynex RW as "old" used a lot.

Doing a full erase to a RW that has been busy, can spring it back into life.

If he got a 10 pack or something like that of those Dynex RWs, simply taking a new one out and using it
is the easiest way to go. But, as RWs are more "touchy", I think a slowdown from max speed might be advisable anyway.

Since the Fuji rip worked, I would say that ensures that there isn't a hardware or software issue.

Jon
Same thing with busy SDHC cards, and disk drives.

Also Matt, if you put in a RW, and there is data on it, and try to write with it on MC or others,
it will tell you that it needs to be erased first.  Unless you know enough how to do a type of
format that can add to it, but I doubt very much if that is the problem.

To be totally truthful, I don't think it is worth fussing about a single DVD RW with burning. Especially knowing the vendor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up