INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why does the new "Import" wiz take 10 seconds to open  (Read 1823 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Why does the new "Import" wiz take 10 seconds to open
« on: September 22, 2009, 10:25:10 am »

Howdy!

Running the v14 trial and I must say - this new Import Wiz is becoming a PITA. Any reason it takes like 5-10secs to open?

This is one change that I must say v13 does better...click Run Auto Import now and it runs...instantly....

Something I am doing wrong?

Cheers!

VP

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Why does the new "Import" wiz take 10 seconds to open
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 01:02:31 pm »

Network path in there?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 01:05:57 pm »

Network path in there?

Nope. My library is completely local and not very large at all. Simply the My Music folder.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 01:18:38 pm »

Do you have a lot of mapped network drives or a complicated / unavailable network?

There's a step that loops the drives on the system to find mapped drives that are also local folders. (i.e. D:\Music mapped as M:\)

I've never seen this step be slow, but it's the only thing I can think of looking at the code.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Vocalpoint

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 01:35:50 pm »

Do you have a lot of mapped network drives or a complicated / unavailable network?

There's a step that loops the drives on the system to find mapped drives that are also local folders. (i.e. D:\Music mapped as M:\)

I've never seen this step be slow, but it's the only thing I can think of looking at the code.

Thanks.

Yep. There are 3 mapped drives on this particular box. None are mapped to "local" folders. They all point to "network" locations. I can see that loop step in the code being relevant when no "target" drives or folders have been designated - like running this wizard for the very first time. But after I get my target (s) and library locations set - this dialog should just open.

Just an FYI - for my typical MC workflow:

1. The master music stash is always in a singular folder (MY Music)
2. No tracks are ever "managed" within MC - they are tagged and prepped externally
3. All tracks are copied to the master structure manually via Windows

After the above is done - I just want to run "Run Auto-Import Now" to force a library refresh as MC scans the master folder for new product.

Seems like this dialog is running a bunch of extra functions which may or may not apply. Also - maybe I am not seeing the true value of this "wizard" but for what it's worth - this implementation is several steps backward from v13 - which has this right - I shouldn't have to dance thru a wizard to simply run the Auto Import command. I should be able to do that without a bunch of extra overhead and most certainly less mouse clicks.

My 2.5 CDN cents....

Cheers!

VP

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 01:52:08 pm »

I should be able to do that without a bunch of extra overhead and most certainly less mouse clicks.
For what it's worth, you can add a "Run Auto-Import Now" button to the customize titlebar (or whatever that's called) at the top or bottom of MC. I've been using this in MC14 and it still works fine with just one mouse click.
-JB

Vocalpoint

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 01:54:43 pm »

For what it's worth, you can add a "Run Auto-Import Now" button to the customize titlebar (or whatever that's called) at the top or bottom of MC. I've been using this in MC14 and it still works fine with just one mouse click.
-JB

Coolio! Will try that instead. I wonder - is it possible to "customize" the existing File menu commands - if so - I could just add "run-auto import" back to the Library area and it would be just like v13....?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 03:03:35 pm »

In build 73 and later (available in about a week):
Fixed: Opening the Import wizard could be slow on machines with a lot of mapped network drives.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Vocalpoint

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 03:09:47 pm »

In build 73 and later (available in about a week):
Fixed: Opening the Import wizard could be slow on machines with a lot of mapped network drives.

You guys rock - as usual!

Cheers!

VP

...must resist hitting Buy Now button....: ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up