INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windowed Theater View  (Read 1616 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Windowed Theater View
« on: September 22, 2009, 11:34:41 am »

For as long as I can remember, as I work on daily computing tasks I have opened VLC and then selected a dvd from the file system.  Theater view is great and generally speaking, I never use the MC video interface except in theater view.  So I was thinking about this.

If the MC theater view was able to be viewed in a resizable window, I think it could easily replace my VLC use for dvds and really improve my desktop media use.  Perhaps another Control + 6 or whatever for windowed theater view?

Is this feasible?  I think it would be excellent.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Windowed Theater View
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 02:04:29 pm »

Although Theater View isn't windowed, you can view a movie in a window using either a Detached Display or Display View. Opening your movie from standard view is a lot easier (if your movies are in a View) than opening them with VLC. If you are just choosing the file, then it is basically the same as VLC.

I just watched a movie during my lunch hour. I wanted to finish it so I watch the remainder using a Detached Display in the upper right of my monitor.

BillT

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 03:03:03 pm »

I'd like to be able to use Theatre View in a non full screen mode as well.

Currently I use Music Lobby to control music replay (in fact Music Lobby is what introduced me to MC in the first place - version 9), but it is set up to fill most of the screen but leave a strip on the right for Homeseer Touch amplifier control buttons. Although Music Lobby 3 generally still drives MC 14, it probably won't be long before it won't, and as Cinemar have gone a different way with their own back end system with Music Lobby 3.75 (without the amazing JR database) I doubt that any more development will be done with ML 3. That means that a different music selection interface is needed and Theatre view is better in most respects than ML 3, but it won't let me have easy access to the HSTouch interface; if it was resizeable it would.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 03:11:18 pm »

... it is set up to fill most of the screen but leave a strip on the right for Homeseer Touch amplifier control buttons.
You have probably seen this, but just in case ....

Our Media Center Remote can also control your amp.

BillT

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 04:17:54 pm »

Yes, it would be possible to rejig the system to use IR control (currently the amp uses RS232 from the Homeseer computer - more reliable than IR and has better direct control). However I'm trying to get an integrated system using HS Touch as the main interface. My HSTouch main screen has several options, listening to music with MC is only one. As Theatre view takes over the whole screen there seems to be no easy way to return to HS Touch without cascading back up view trees to quit Theatre View in order to get back to the HS Touch interface to do something else with HS Touch. If there is a small HS Touch window visible I can return to it instantly.

This is running on a Samsung Q1 as a handheld remote. The player is a hidden laptop connected to a music library server in the garage. The Tremote cascading servers system actually seems to be working - the laptop is being served the library from the garage server and it in turn serves the Samsung Q1.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 04:28:41 pm »

You could also add the Homeseer app to the root Theater View menu.  I realize that you have a plan.  I'm just throwing out options.
Pages: [1]   Go Up