INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater view (Acajou) broken in MC14  (Read 3791 times)

Jargon

• Recent member
Theater view (Acajou) broken in MC14
« on: December 13, 2009, 09:51:36 am »

Hello,

Until I attempted to upgrade to MC14 I was a very happy user of MC13 and its theater view feature. I have over 100,000 Flacs on my server and I choose my own organisation method so everything is organised properly into folders (music categories/CDs by Artist). As a result I find the ONLY appropriate view to be a custom view where I can navigate my music collection using a folder view that I created by adding a Root Library Item and then displaying by file path. This way using my remote I am able to see and navigate my HDs as I would with my mouse from Windows Explorer. I find the best theme for this is Acazou by a long shot.

All was nice and cool till I moved MC14 where Theater View with Acazou is broken! While I get to see the folders on the root of my HD and then move into any sub-folder within them (with the remote) whenever I reach to the list of songs within a CD folder there is NO MENU option to play them!

In MC13 whenever I reach the songs after navigating there when I press the ok button (or enter on keyb) I got a menu that would have all the options for that song (Play, More play options etc etc). In order for the file to play I have to manually press the play button (for each song) from the menu on the left which is of course tedious!

I tried this on two PCs one running Win 7 Ultimate 64bit and on with Vista Ultimate 64bit but no luck in either!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Theater view (Acajou) broken in MC14
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 10:40:59 am »

Try default views before customization.

Try other skins.

Try customizing Theater View.

What build are you using?  Newer builds may be available on this board.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 10:53:09 am »

Everything he is describing sounds like the new behavior of Theater View in MC14, not something broken.

They've changed the way Theater View works, but it actually is dramatically better in most cases.  It may just take you a little bit to figure out the new workflow.  All of the menus have been replaced with the "roller" motif.

I would recommend trying out your view under the standard Theater View Obsidian skin first, until you get a feel for how it works.  If you have a specific question on how to do a certain operation, perhaps it would help if you explain exactly what you want it to do.  I don't quite get it from your initial description (other than "It is different and I don't like it.")
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

gappie

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 11:33:04 am »

you might want to take a look here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=54343.0

:)
gab

Jargon

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 02:02:43 pm »

Thanks for the replies!

JimH

My build is 14.0.96 and I noticed there are newer versions out that I can not get through auto update.  I will check that too. What I mean is something like this in this thread (no controls when in Theater View and using Acajou skin (the best IMHO).

BTW - I just downloaded the latest build 14.0.106 and the same thing happens. If I choose either Acajou or Noir skin in theater view (the ones with the vertical list of controls) they are both useless since when you select a song and press ok (on the remote) or enter (keyboard) there are no controls displayed to play it or do anything with it. It just displays some file info and that is it. Heck you can't even select which song to play and can only play songs through the controls on the list on the left!

Please check it out since it is the same on every PC I tried so far and I have 5 at home. This skin is the only one I find convenient for fast browsing on my big collection.

The same happens when I chose to display files by file path!

Jargon

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 02:23:01 pm »

Gappie, this is exactly what is happening and this new skin solves it but I still have to see how it works with the remote and still find it worse than the working one in 13.

What I don't understand is why remove/break the best browsing feature (IMHO) that is perfectly working in ver 13?

rick.ca

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 05:51:46 pm »

What I don't understand is why remove/break the best browsing feature (IMHO) that is perfectly working in ver 13?

What glynor said. Many of us demanded improvements and new features. The result a generation newer and better—and different. It takes a little time to configure, learn and get used to.

Start with the Obsidian skin. An easy way to quickly configure views you are used to is to Add... (in Options - Theater View) "Library Item from Standard View." As for controls—they're all there (e.g., play all, add to playlist). But if you use something like a Genre - Artist - Album view structure, you can configure your key actions so Play plays the selected artist or album. I don't recall how MC13 works, but it can't beat one key press!

Jargon

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 06:26:03 pm »

Well this is all nice and dandy but to make it work one needs to put tagging into gear! It sure is the way to move forward but I have been lazy and only used the folder view structure to move on! Nevertheless 13 is still working and can co-exist while I finally start taking advantage of the myriad of capabilities MC 14 (and JR in general) offers.

I will work on it and get back for help in case I don't find what I need on the forum.

Thanks for your help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up