INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting a Various Artists CD to appear as one entry  (Read 1661 times)

Megasoid

• Recent member
Getting a Various Artists CD to appear as one entry
« on: September 25, 2009, 11:18:59 pm »

How can I get a CD such as in the Super Hits of the 70's series with various artists to appear as one entry in my library? Each album appears as a separate entry with each individual artist in otherwords each volume has 12 separate entries.. Thanks

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Megasoid

• Recent member
Re: Getting a Various Artists CD to appear as one entry
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 10:15:03 am »

This is talking about a multiple disc cd to appear as one entry. What I'm wondering is how to get a multiple artist cd to appear as one entry. I use a collection called "Super Hits of the 70's" put out by Rhino. It has 12 tracks on each volume each by different artists. When I ripped it into JRM it has a separate entry for each song title in each volume, therefore I have 12 entries for each volume. Any way to group all entries for each volume into one entry i.e. "Super Hits of the 70's, Volme 1" and retain the individual artists and song titles?

MrC

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 11:00:00 am »

The problem is the same.  Remove the "Volume 1" from the album title (you can include the Volume 1, or whatever you wish, for the Volume field, MC's internal name for tracking unique discs).  Place 1, 2, etc. in the Disc # field.  See image.  Create a custom field and view that includes it if you want that combines both Album and Disc number (ex: "[Album] Volume [Disc #]").

joh

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 12:47:34 pm »

I did not understand the Question to be about multi-disk albums, but about Multi Artist albums.
If about Multi-artist albums, make sure that the "album artist" tag for each track is set to "(multiple artists)" or "various artists" (or anything else that you would like to be the 'artist' that this album is associated with).
I.e. Select all tracks on the album, bring up the "tag" window and change to "album artist" tag to something of your choice.

MrC

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 01:05:33 pm »

Oops, forgot to show the Album Artist tag!  Too early in the AM for me.

Leave it blank [to obtain "(Multiple Artists)"]-- or set it to a single, specific tag.  Supplemental image attached.

Megasoid

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 09:32:54 am »

Right I understand everything that you all are saying but after I do all of this The cd still appears as 12 separate entries from the album page. I do want to keep the artists names for the songs as in the example up above but I would like to get each of the discs to appear as one entry.

MrC

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 12:01:09 pm »

If that is the case, the your Album fields are different.  Make them the same, exactly, char for char.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 04:08:49 pm »

Right I understand everything that you all are saying but after I do all of this The cd still appears as 12 separate entries from the album page. I do want to keep the artists names for the songs as in the example up above but I would like to get each of the discs to appear as one entry.
Also, be sure that the view scheme or playlist you are using is sorting/grouping by [album artist] or [album artist (auto)] and not [artist]. If you haven't created the view scheme yourself with this setup, there's a pretty good chance this is what you're running up against.
Pages: [1]   Go Up