INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iTunes migration: replay gain & volume  (Read 3523 times)

tsmoke

• Junior Woodchuck
iTunes migration: replay gain & volume
« on: September 27, 2009, 12:27:39 pm »

Try reading about Audio Analysis and about Replay Gain.  Replay Gain gets added to the tag, and can be turned on or off in the DSP Studio.

Now I more or less understand the Replay Gain. I have few questions: What will the media center do with a track which is mostly low volume but it has few short loud moments. I expect it to set replay gain to value which allow to play the loudest parts with some level, but this way the whole song will be too silent. In such a case, I'd like to edit the  replay gain to have this track a bit louder.  

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: iTunes migration: replay gain & volume
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 06:29:44 pm »

I believe you can change the number for ReplayGain.  It's in the tag.

tsmoke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 09:18:57 am »

I believe you can change the number for ReplayGain.  It's in the tag.

Probably, but not by Media Center. MC allows only to delete Replay gain value.

ubernode54

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 09:39:21 am »

He's right. I'm running 14.0.71 and I have a drop-down selection for both Album and Replay Gain fields in the Tag editor. These should certainly be edit-able fields.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 09:57:08 am »

Replay Gain is a standard and calculated in a specific way.  In this sense, there's only one correct value for a given file.

This is why the field is not user editable.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

tsmoke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 05:22:44 pm »

Replay Gain is a standard and calculated in a specific way.  In this sense, there's only one correct value for a given file.

And that's why I'm looking for way to set volume for specific track in library preferably without modifying tags, like in iTunes.
This window http://jakebechtold.com/wiredforgadgets/images/itunes-opt.jpg is often handy.
I've rarely used start stop position (I preffer using some lossless mp3 cutter or editor), but volume adjustment and eq preset is what i use often. Replay gain doesn't always help because: sometimes it is wrong, track feels too silent or too loud, or I want some track to be played less loud.

gappie

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 05:43:15 pm »

i disagree. a silent track is never 51 dB, its silent, and with 51 dB it messes up the album gain totaly. its a bit of a pain now to set those values 'right'.

:)
gab

gappie

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 06:06:47 pm »

tsmoke: it is fairly easy to set the replay gain in files. make a view with collumns, add an expression, put in the expression [replay gain], focus on the expression, click F2 and change the replaygain to what ever you want.
when this is going a bit to quick just say so..

gab

tsmoke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 08:23:29 am »

tsmoke: it is fairly easy to set the replay gain in files. make a view with collumns, add an expression, put in the expression [replay gain], focus on the expression, click F2 and change the replaygain to what ever you want.

It works. It's a bit strange. Do other "not editable" fields in MC wort the same way?

gappie

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 09:05:04 am »

It works. It's a bit strange. Do other "not editable" fields in MC wort the same way?
i think it only works for fields that are set to "clear only" in the library, like number plays, skip count, replay gain etc. but not for the "can not be edited" fields.

gab

aung

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 02:17:55 pm »

Thanks Gappie!
You saved JR MEdia, I was just considering changing the software because I was not able to edit the replay gain. Editable replay gain is essential for DJing!!

gab
Pages: [1]   Go Up