INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Toshiba Pocket PC e740 as a remote  (Read 519 times)

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
Toshiba Pocket PC e740 as a remote
« on: July 07, 2002, 12:30:37 pm »

I just got a new Toshiba Pocket PC with wireless 802.11b to connect to Media Jukebox. I'm sitting on my old couch playing tunes on my quasi Home Theater PC (a sony VAIO desktop driving a 32 inch Sony HDTV.

I have a linksys WAP11 Access Point. Getting the Pocket PC to communicate reliably took a lot longer than it should have, but in the end, it works really well.

The trick (I think) was telling the PDA to use "Internet" (Settings/Connections/Connections[yes, that's right]/My network card connects to: [set it to "The Internet". For some goofy reason, it defaults to "Work", like anybody would ever use that. The whole MS WinCE setup in this area is a curious piece of work. It kept wanting to help me configure a modem connection (no modem present). I'll spare you the rest, except to say that I also updated the firmware on another linksys device (BEF-W11S4 router/switch) that connects to my Cisco 675 DSL modem.

On the Media Jukebox side, it requires an "interface plug-in" called Web Remote that has a little HTTP server built-in, so you can use the browser on the PDA to connect to it.

The connection seems good to around 50 feet from the access point.

The controls are fine for the music collection, but need work for TV and DVD. Work is in progress.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Michel

RE:Toshiba Pocket PC e740 as a remote
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2002, 12:36:14 pm »

On the Media Jukebox side, it requires an "interface plug-in" called Web Remote that has a little HTTP server built-in, so you can use the browser on the PDA to connect to it.

Fine. Next step is a Windows CE MJ client...

Pages: [1]   Go Up