INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC14 crashing during sync to 'handheld' device (directory)  (Read 1307 times)

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
MC14 crashing during sync to 'handheld' device (directory)
« on: October 07, 2009, 06:45:08 am »

Hi

I am using MC14 (the latest build) to sync m4a files (Apple Lossless) to a 'handheld' device (which is actually just a directory), and converting all files to MP3 in the process, as well as embedding cover art from my cover art directory, and I am sporadically experiencing three types of error message/crash:

(i) MC just closes automatically during a sync and when I re-open I have to resync all the files that already synced in the last sync operation before MC crashed.
(ii) I get the standard Windows error message stating that MC needs to close, but the sync still seems to be running in the background and MC is still responsive, so I can cancel the sync, restart MC and all of the last sync performed is preserved and i can start where i left off.
(iii) MC freezes, usually in the last seconds of syncing a particular file (i.e. the conversion is stuck at 99% for one file) and I need to force MC to quit and again lose the last sync and need to start again.

Other strangeness I am experiencing is sometimes getting an error next to certain files when MC attempts to upload them to the device after a conversion (typically the first few files in any sync), but MC then carries on converting subsequent files until it finally crashes in one of the three ways outlined above.

I am not sure how to attach a log to this post, so have uploaded it here: http://public.me.com/nick_harambee.  This log is for a sync which ended as described in (ii)

Would someone be able to take a look at it and let me know what the problem might be.

Thanks

Nick

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
Re: MC14 crashing during sync to 'handheld' device (directory)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 06:48:20 am »

How many processes for conversion are you using? On my PC it works safe only when using 1 Process.

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 07:07:42 am »

i am using 4 processes as I have a pretty fast machine with two dual core 3.0Ghz processors.  The conversion is pretty quick, but with the crashes.  Going down to one process for converting/syncing 26,000 files would slow things down considerably.  Why the option for 4 simultaneous conversions if it is this that is causing the crashes?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 07:28:35 am »

One of the filters may not be thread safe.

Try converting from FLAC or APE as a test.

Search google for similar problems with the filter.

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 08:16:31 am »

One of the filters may not be thread safe.

By this do you mean that the problem might be with the DC-Bass Source filter?  If so what should i google, 'DC-Bass Source thread safe'?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 08:11:50 pm »

As a data point, I've converted thousands of FLACs to mp3s using 3 simultaneous conversions.  It took me a *long* time to work out an approach that was more reliable than straight conversion of a large library.

A restart is frustrating; try using an HH cache as an intermediary step.  The cache files will be built as the sync occurs, and only as necessary.  This will prevent the sync from having to restart entirely if it should crash during sync.  At most a couple of cache files will be reconverted.

Try also reducing your sync size, by creating a playlist containing only a subset of your tracks.  Then sync the playlist.  Incrementally add to the playlist until it includes all files.   Now, since you have an HH cache, any resets will be faster, and the incremental playlist approach will help you narrow down any possibly offending files (if it has anything to do with a file).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up