INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: .ac3 file playback problem  (Read 4946 times)

Bill S

• Junior Woodchuck
.ac3 file playback problem
« on: October 05, 2009, 03:15:00 pm »

Hi Everyone

I recently upgraded to 14 and really like it.  However I am having a problem playing .ac3 files that I don't have in 13.  Maybe I've missed a setting somewhere? I would really appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions, thanks!  

I'll post logs in a minute.

Thanks again,

Bill

PROBLEM:
- .ac3 playback results in (loud!) digital noise

DETAILS:

- Soundcard: Creative Elite Pro

- Playback type: I playback using the analog outputs of the soundcard

- File types: .ac3 files that have been extracted from music DVDs (or the VIDEO_TS portion of DVD-Audio discs)

- No problem with the .ac3 file playback using JRiver Media Center 13.0.172 (or VLC / Media Player Classic players) from the same machine. 

EDIT -- The version of JRiver Media Center that I'm having the problem with is: 14.0.71

- No problem playing .dts files (extracted from similer sources) in 14 using the same settings.  I haven't tries my "dtswav" dts files from dts cds yet.

- I have verified that in the GUI the track(s) have Media Type column value of "Audio" and that the File Type column is "ac3"

- I think I have everything set the same for both MC 13 & 14.  Here are what I think are the relevant settings:

I.  File Types

Audio
     AC3 Audio (ac3)
     > Playback Method: JRiver audio engine (using DirectShow filter)
       > Source Filter: AC3File
       > Other Filters: ffdshow Audio Decoder , JRiver Bitrate Monitor Filter

DTS Audio (dts)
     > Same settings as above

II.  Playback

Audio
     > Output mode: Direct Sound

> Output mode settings...
       - Device: Primary Sound Driver
       - Channels: Default Channels
       - Buffering: 1.45 seconds  

> DSP & output format
       - Effects, Equalizer, Tempo & Pitch, Volume Leveling not enabled
       - Output Format settings:
         > Bitdepth: Source bitdepth
         > Channels: Source number of channels
         > Sample rate: Source sample rate
         > Overflow Handling: Clip Protection

> Prebuffering: 6 seconds (recommended)

> Track Change
       - Switch tracks: Standard (gapped) 1s
       - Do not play silence (leading and trailing) (checked)
       - Use gapless for sequential album tracks (checked)

> Stop & Seek
       - Seek: Smooth (normal)
       - Stop: Immediate  

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: .ac3 file playback problem
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 03:18:25 pm »

Audio
     > Output mode: Direct Sound
Did you try WASAPI?

Bill S

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 03:21:28 pm »

It looks like the logs are to long for me to post.  I can email the playback logs of both MC 13 (no problem playing the ac3 file) and MC 14 (does have the problem).  Or if there's a way I can 'attach' them here I can do that.

Thanks!

Bill S

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 03:22:25 pm »

Did you try WASAPI?
No I haven't.  I'll try that now, thanks!

Bill S

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 03:31:27 pm »

No I haven't.  I'll try that now, thanks!

I just tried WASAPI but unfortunately the problem still occurs.  Since I'm new to WASAPI here were my steps:

1. Tools > Options
2. In "Playback" I changed the "Output mode" to be "Windows Audio Session API (WASAPI)
3. I then stopped and restarted JRiver Media Center
4. Finally I navigated to the file in my library and tried playing it.

(I was able to confirm though that playback of my other normal ripped CDs is fine in WASAPI)

EDIT - I should have mentioned earlier the version of 14 that I'm using is:   14.0.71

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 03:40:41 pm »

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 03:42:43 pm »

The output mode setting doesn't really matter when DirectShow decoding for analog output is used. If the selected mode works with standard files it should also work with DirectShow decoded AC3 files. The signal should be decoded to PCM already before the DS filter chain outputs it to MC's internal audio engine, thus before it reaches MC's output. The fact sound comes out as static noise indicates that the output works, but the signal wasn't decoded from the AC3 code to PCM.

Bill, could you post your DirectShow graphs from MC13 and MC14? (Right-click the main display during playback and select DirectShow Filters > Copy graph info to clipboard)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Bill S

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 04:50:45 pm »

Thanks Alex!! I never knew about that way to get the filter graph, after all these years I've barely scratched the surface of what this software can do,  anyways...

I've posted the results below.  Lookng at it, I see for some reason the one that is not working is not using ffdshow.  I think I have this setup the same in both 13 and 14 (see my first post), but I only configure this stuff when I upgrade so maybe I've forgotten something. Anyway, any ideas?  Thanks again.

==================
MC 13.0.172 (plays the .ac3 file fine)
==================
Filter Graph Info (Graph for type: ac3):

Filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'
        CLSID: {EC1F74A8-7E55-4814-9F9F-D417489075CA}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'Out' of filter 'ffdshow Audio Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'ffdshow Audio Decoder'
        CLSID: {0F40E1E5-4F79-4988-B1A9-CC98794E6B55}
        Host: C:\Program Files (x86)\ffdshow\ffdshow.ax
        Output Pin 'Out'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'AC3File'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'AC3File'
        CLSID: {F7380D4C-DE45-4F03-9209-15EBA8552463}
        Host: C:\Program Files (x86)\Direct Show Filters\AC3File\ac3file.ax
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'ffdshow Audio Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

==================
MC 14.0.71 (static when .ac3 file is played)
==================

Host:
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'XFrom Out' of filter 'Microsoft MPEG-1/DD Audio Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3_SPDIF, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'Microsoft MPEG-1/DD Audio Decoder'
        CLSID: {E1F1A0B8-BEEE-490D-BA7C-066C40B5E2B9}
        Host: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msmpeg2adec.dll
        Input Pin 'XForm In'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3, Format type TIME_FORMAT_NONE
        Output Pin 'XFrom Out'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3_SPDIF, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'AC3File'
        Host: C:\Program Files (x86)\Direct Show Filters\AC3File\ac3file.ax
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'XForm In' of filter 'Microsoft MPEG-1/DD Audio Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3, Format type TIME_FORMAT_NONE

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 04:58:41 pm »

Microsoft MPEG-1/DD Audio Decoder does not do decoding of AC3 in third-party programs (such as MC).  It is limited by their license.  You can use this filter in MC if you have an out-board decoder, otherwise you have to use another decoder.  FFDShow or AC3Filter both should work.

You may have to specifically choose FFDShow or AC3Filter in MC.  Tools > Options > File Types > AC3.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Bill S

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 05:11:29 pm »

I think that is already set. I have it set the same in both 13 and 14:

AC3 Audio (ac3)

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your suggestion.  Are you saying use AC3File or ffdshow, but not both?  I think the reason I have it set this way is that I also rip DTS CDs (I love surround :) ), and for that set the type to .dts but use file type of .dtswav for the decoding, and for that using it this way seemed to work (in 13).

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 06:14:35 pm »

AC3 Audio (ac3)

The above setup works for me on MC14. I didn't have an AC3 file at hand, but I tried a DTS file.

I wonder what can cause MC14 to not pick FFDShow Audio decoder if the same settings work in MC13.

You could try to change the merit of 'Microsoft MPEG-1/DD Audio Decoder' to "do not use" (= 00200000) with a tool that can adjust the DS merit values. For instance, with DirectShow Filter Manager or RadLight Filter Manager.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your suggestion.  Are you saying use AC3File or ffdshow, but not both?  I think the reason I have it set this way is that I also rip DTS CDs (I love surround :) ), and for that set the type to .dts but use file type of .dtswav for the decoding, and for that using it this way seemed to work (in 13).

AC3File is a source filter. AC3Filter is a different filter component. It is a decoding filter. It can be used instead of FFDShow Audio Decoder.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Bill S

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 08:20:15 pm »

The above setup works for me on MC14. I didn't have an AC3 file at hand, but I tried a DTS file.

I wonder what can cause MC14 to not pick FFDShow Audio decoder if the same settings work in MC13.

You could try to change the merit of 'Microsoft MPEG-1/DD Audio Decoder' to "do not use" (= 00200000) with a tool that can adjust the DS merit values. For instance, with DirectShow Filter Manager or RadLight Filter Manager.

AC3File is a source filter. AC3Filter is a different filter component. It is a decoding filter. It can be used instead of FFDShow Audio Decoder.
Oops, your right I was mixing up AC3File and AC3Filter in my head.

The strange thing is that a DTS file works for me also (on both MC14 and MC13), using the exact same settings in file type.  It's only the AC3 file type that isn't working for me in MC14.

I'll try changing the DS merit in a little while and report back.  Thanks again for looking at this.

Bill S

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 01:07:19 pm »

Well first I tried Radlight but it wouldn't let me change the merit of that MS filter, even when I logged in as Vista's "super administrator".  So next I tried that Direct Show Filter Manager, but again I was getting 'unable to change merit' type of message when I tried changing it.  So then, while still logged in as super administrator, I unregistered the MS filter via DS Filter Manager.  Then I restarted, logged in, started MC14.  Now when I try to play an .ac3 file it says:

"DirectShow: Failed to play G:\mlb3\3 Doors Down\Regular\2002 - Away From The Sun\2003 - Universal B0001177-19\disc 1 - DVD - AC3 5.1ch\01 - When I'm Gone.ac3.
You  may not have installed on your computer DirectShow filters for decoding the type of file you are trying to play.
Please install appropriate filters and try again.
<OK> "
But I am still able to play the .ac3 file using MC13, with the *exact* same settings for the AC3 filetype in the options.
Also, note that using the *exact* same settings for DTS as for AC3 results in me being able to play DTS files in both MC13 and MC14.  At this point I'm beginning to suspect a problem in MC14 in how it selects the filter for the AC3 filetypes.

Bill S

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 01:13:52 pm »

I think my next step is to try and uninstall ffdshow and install the latest to see if that makes any difference.  I hate to do this in case I  break it for MC13 but I'm at a loss as to what I should do next?  For me, playing surround files is the most important thing.  After paying for MC14 I'd hate to be stuck only using the previous version (and having to figure out all my changes from the last 2 weeks and getting those into version 13). 

Bill S

• Junior Woodchuck
It's Working!
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 01:42:15 pm »

Success!   ;D

I uninstalled AC3File and ffdshow and then installed the latest versions that I could find:

AC3File 0.7b
   ffdshow_rev3078_20090917

Now .AC3 files play just fine in both MC13 and MC14.

A big thanks to Jim, Yaobing and especially Alex for the suggestions and information.  I was getting pretty frustrated this morning and re-reading the posts helped.

Just in case it helps anyone else in similar situation in the future, here is the DS graph that I copied from MC14 while successfully playing the AC3 file:

Host:
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'Out' of filter 'ffdshow Audio Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'ffdshow Audio Decoder'
        CLSID: {0F40E1E5-4F79-4988-B1A9-CC98794E6B55}
        Host: C:\Program Files (x86)\ffdshow\ffdshow.ax
        Output Pin 'Out'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Input Pin 'In'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'AC3File'
        Host: C:\Program Files (x86)\AC3File\ac3file.ax
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'ffdshow Audio Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
Pages: [1]   Go Up