INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request > Audio Bookmarks (and Video?)  (Read 1316 times)

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
  • I love music and great audio!
Feature Request > Audio Bookmarks (and Video?)
« on: October 06, 2009, 02:46:41 pm »

Hi,

Forgive me if there's something like this already in MC14 ... but I couldn't find it.

I just began listening to Richard Dawkin's latest book. I got about 10 minutes into an hour long track and had to pause. Knowing that I might not get back to it today, and MC might be closed and reopened, or I might like to listen to some music between now and resuming the book, I wrote down the track number and time where I had paused.

What is this causing me to take up paper and pen? ;) Why not add a 'bookmark' field in the database for audio files, and for that matter avi, mkv and so on (video files).

Also, as a musician who is constantly making reference to parts of music tracks, short and long, the ability to specify multiple bookmarks (time code positions) and jump to them would be great!

Thanks.
Derek Pert
(Windows 11 Pro x64 / 32GB RAM)

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Feature Request > Audio Bookmarks (and Video?)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 05:48:05 pm »

Media Center does support bookmarking of audio and video.  The bookmarking behavior is controlled per-file by the field called "Use Bookmarking".  Show this field in any list and edit the values.

The accepted values are:
Default: use bookmark if the file is an Audible file, has its media-sub type set to "Audiobook", is a podcast, or is a video
Yes: always use bookmark
No: never use bookmark

When you stop playback, if you press stop a second time it will clear the bookmark.

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 08:55:27 pm »

Thanks ... I've got the Bookmark column showing now, but all it does is display a current frame number or somthing ... not timecode.

If I stop (once) I can see it leaves the "last" frame played number in the field. But how do I return to that file later, begin playing it and jump ahead to that point? Manually perhaps? - but the unit value needs to be translated to time then.

How do you recommend using this feature - in practice?

Also, I cannot edit the field - I tried entering Yes, No, etc as per your quote.
Derek Pert

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 09:34:15 pm »

You're looking at the Bookmark field, where the time is recorded. The settings are in the Use Bookmarking field. In my library, the display name of this field is "Bookmark Flag." I don't know if that's the default display name, or I changed it so it would appear along with Bookmark in lists. In any case, the field you want is Use Bookmarking or Bookmark Flag, not Bookmark.

Note from Matt's post, the default for audiobooks is to use the bookmark. This means it should start playing where you last stopped anyway. If this is not happening, it's must be because Media Sub Type is not set to Audiobook. It probably makes more sense for you to set that field and leave Bookmark Flag set to Default.

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 10:05:16 pm »

When I try to edit the contents of the "Media Sub Type" field in the Tag editor, I can't. The Tag editor just jumps up to show other fields.
Derek Pert

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 10:12:45 pm »

I can edit the field for a single file/track in the list, but I want to set "Audiobook" for about 400 files (lectures etc.). Would want to do this in the usual fashion using Tag editor with the group selected.
Derek Pert

rick.ca

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 10:30:04 pm »

Okay, that's a bug...

Odd behavior with the tag window with this build.  I can't edit tags (except for the first few at the top of the list).  If I go down to "year" (as an example)...click on the tag to change it......the cursor jumps up to the top of the list.  I have to go back to .71 to edit tags.

...that will likely be fixed quickly. Fortunately—as you've discovered—you don't have to use the tagging pane to tag. Just select all of your audiobook files and enter the Media Sub Type for any one of them. The value you enter (or select from the drop-down list) will be copied to all selected records.
Pages: [1]   Go Up