INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server Question  (Read 2321 times)

NY40Male

Media Server Question
« on: July 07, 2002, 07:57:03 am »

Any Way To Connect The Two Computers Without Doing The
66.24.100.2:80 Connection..If The Internet Goes Down
Then This Method Sucks....Im Running 2 Computers With A Hub
Any Help Greatly Appreciated
Hope Everyone Had A Safe & Happy 4th

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
RE:Media Server Question
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2002, 08:05:42 am »

If you computers are on a lan, you should be using the internal ip (192.168.x.x or similar) not the external. I'm not sure if the media server needs an internet connection anyway, but probably not (and I'm too lazy to unplug mine to try

Claudio

NY40Male

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2002, 08:20:23 am »

I'm Not An Networking Expert...So The Next Question Is...
How Do I Find Out What My Internal IP Is?

NY40Male

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2002, 08:22:39 am »

Do You Still Use Port If Connected Internally?

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2002, 09:21:31 am »

Your IP address will be at the top of the Media Server window.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

NY40Male

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2002, 10:03:11 am »

But Isnt That Thru The Internet?
I'm Trying To Find Out Internal

NY40Male

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2002, 10:08:37 am »

Let's Go Back To The Original Question
How Does One Connect Without Going Thru The Internet?
And/Or If You Go To Media Server Connect It Asks
For Ip Address Or Server Name...What Is Server Name?

JimH

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2002, 10:15:00 am »

You IP address can be just a local address.  Try it.  Just start up Media Server, tell it to share, and then look at the IP address.  Go to the other machine, do tools/Media Server/connect and type in that IP address.

That doesn't use the Internet.  It does require a LAN.
Jim Hillegass

NYMale4

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2002, 10:44:19 am »

But What Is The Local Address?
That's The Part I Don't Get
My Networking Knowledge Is Somewhere Between Slim & None

NY40Male

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2002, 10:46:50 am »

Okay I Start Media Server On This Machine
Up At The Top It Says 66.24.178.2
But If I Do A IpConfig In Windows 2000
Thats The Same Address As MY Internet

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2002, 11:33:33 am »

That probably means that you do not have an "internal network", but each of your PC (I assume you more than one from your question ?) gets a separate IP address from your provider. In that case you have no way of streaming without going through the Internet.

Most of the people have the network setup with a router/switch (even if generically they are called hub) inbetween and a single "external" ip address. In the internal network each pc as it's own locally visible address, but for the outside Internet that local network does not exists and all the PC have the same IP address. The consumer routers normally use  NAT ( Network Address Translation) to do this.

Each approcach has pro and cons, but normally the big cons of using Nat is that you do not have to pay for extra IP

I guess the bottom line for you, is to first understand exactly what network you have, and that take it from there

Claudio

JimH

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2002, 11:37:52 am »

Did you try the second half above?  Entering that IP address into MJ running on the other machine?

This isn't the place to learn about networking.  There is a lot of info available on this.

The topic called "Networking Basics" on this page is pretty good.

http://www.linksys.com/faqs/
Jim Hillegass

NY40Male

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2002, 11:51:19 am »

Okay Then I Have Just A Plain Hub (Not A Router I'm Fairly Sure)
My Computer Has 1 Address 66.24.192.2
and Mary's Computer Right Now Is 24.192.8.24
Or Whatever
When I Do A cmd In Windows 2000
And Then Do A ipconfig /all There Isnt Any 192 Numbers Coming Up
I'm Assuming I Do Share Files And Printers Back & Forth Doing A
\MaryRose\Seti Type of Connection Which Works For What I Need
Its Probably Wrong, But I Haven't Yet Been Able To Find Anyone To Tell
Me To Do It Differently.
Any Help Greatly Appreciated

NY40Male

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2002, 12:01:18 pm »

In Other Words I Need A Router Instead Of Just A Plain Hub

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2002, 12:44:33 pm »

You should look around for some networking site or info...

Some questions that you'll have to answer to get to the bottom of this..

How do you connect to the Internet? how many IP do you have? Do you use some form of connection sharing? do you have a DCHP server ? Can you see the disk of the other PC from you machine?

I did a trace route to your address and I found your 66.24.192.2 ( VisualRoute tells me that you are using RoadRunner as a provider, but somehow it can't jump the last hop..)

But the other address does not seem to exits

Anyway if you have problem with streaming, you can try using up a network folder and share "read only" libraries or put one computer in party mode

Claudio

NY40Male

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2002, 01:17:26 pm »

Next Question Would Be How Do I Go About Setting Up A Network Folder?
And Using It As Read Only From The Other Computer

Dragyn

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2002, 01:35:06 pm »

When I used Media Server, I connected using the computer name instead of the ip address. This was when I had DHCP running but still works the same. I would enter "GTX" as the ipaddress and then it connect to my car instead of using 192.168.x.x.

Do both computers access the internet separately as in 2 modems or did you physically connect them together and use 1 modem?

NY40Male

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2002, 01:37:29 pm »

Each Computer Plugs Into The Hub The Hub Plugs Into The Cable Modem

NY40Male

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2002, 04:05:29 pm »

Everything That I Find About Connection DHCP Says That One Must Have A Router....I Cant Find Or Install Anything That Will Allow Me To Add DHCP To Windows 2000...Unless Its Already There And I Can't Find It

JimH

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2002, 04:18:49 pm »

To see whether you are using DHCP, take a look at your settings on both PC's.  It's a little different on each version of Windows, but try settings/control panel/network something and then look at TCP/IP by clicking on properties.

If your setting is something like "let the server assign the address", then you are using DHCP, and it is probably your cable modem that does the job.  If your setting is something like "use assigned IP address" and has specific numbers, you are not using DHCP, and your ISP probably gave you the numbers to use.

You can also have a combination of these.

Google is a good place to learn about this.  Just type in a search string and get a cup of coffee.
Jim Hillegass

NY40Male

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2002, 04:25:38 pm »

If your setting is something like "let the server assign the address", then you are using DHCP, and it is probably your cable modem that does the job. If your setting is something like "use assigned IP address" and has specific numbers, you are not using DHCP, and your ISP probably gave you the numbers to use.

You can also have a combination of these.

Yes Its Assigned Automatically..
So How Do I Connect Media Server Directly Without Going Thru The Internet That Doesnt Come Up On Any Search Engine

NY40Male

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2002, 05:04:41 pm »

The Best Thing I Could Come Up With After Searching All
Day Is That My 3 Year Old - $40.00 3-Com Hub Isn't Worth A Darn
And I Should Be Using A Router
Am I Right Or Wrong?
When I Do A ipconfig /all It Says
DHCP Server........24.92.226.57
But When I Try To Connect Media Server To That It Won't Connect

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2002, 05:17:41 pm »

The DHCP server only gives the ip address to your computer, you should not use it to connect to the media server.

I've trace route your dhcp server and it's a RoadRunner server. This most likely confirms that you are getting two ip addresses from your IP. You should know from your bill since you most likely are paying extra for that.

With such setup the media server would not work when internet is down.

A router it's not stricly necessary to have a single IP and share the connection. You can do it with sw tools....

BUT it looks to me that you are venturing in a territory that you do not know and that can get easily complicated. If everything is working fine for you with Internet and such, I would recommend to leave as is.

As I mentioned before, you could share music library with a shared folder. Learning how to share folders is much easier. Maybe you have it enable alredy, if you share printer and other stuff.

Maybe this will wrap, but in any case this is the traceroute to your DHCP server

Claudio

==================================================
=== VisualRoute report on 07-Jul-02 9:07:03 PM ===
==================================================

Real-time report for 24.92.226.57 [syrcnydhcp08-hme0.nyroc.rr.com] (90% done)

Analysis: '24.92.226.57' [syrcnydhcp08-hme0.nyroc.rr.com] was found in 17 hops (TTL=236).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Hop | %Loss | IP Address     | Node Name                             | Location                | Tzone  | ms  | Graph      | Network                     |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 0   |       | 192.168.0.2    | PINOT                                 | ...                     |        |     |            | (private use)               |
| 1   |       | 192.168.0.1    | -                                     | ...                     |        | 0   | x          | (private use)               |
| 2   |       | xxxxxxxxxxxx   | -                                     | ?Toronto, ON, Canada    | -05:00 | 15  | x-         | Rogers@Home Etob            |
| 3   |       | 10.1.68.130    | -                                     | ...                     |        | 15  | x          | (private use)               |
| 4   | 60    |                |                                       |                         |        |     |            |                             |
| 5   |       | 66.185.82.97   | gw01.wlfdle.phub.net.cable.rogers.com | ?Toronto, ON, Canada    | -05:00 | 16  | x-         | Rogers@Home                 |
| 6   |       | 66.185.80.134  | gw02.wlfdle.phub.net.cable.rogers.com | ?Toronto, ON, Canada    | -05:00 | 61  | -x---      | Rogers@Home                 |
| 7   |       | 66.198.40.1    | -                                     | ?Reston, Virginia 20191 |        | 35  | -x         | Teleglobe Inc.              |
| 8   |       | 63.243.176.82  | if-1-2.core2.Chicago4.Teleglobe.net   | Chicago, IL, USA        | -06:00 | 31  | x-         | Teleglobe in Denver, CO     |
| 9   |       | 63.243.177.42  | ix-0-2.core2.Chicago4.teleglobe.net   | Chicago, IL, USA        | -06:00 | 79  |   x-       | Teleglobe in Denver, CO     |
| 10  |       | 66.185.141.86  | bb2-chi-P0-0.atdn.net                 | ?Reston, VA 20191       |        | 111 |   -x------ | AOL Transit Data Network    |
| 11  |       | 66.185.153.150 | bb2-vie-P10-0.atdn.net                | ?Reston, VA 20191       |        | 76  |  -x--      | AOL Transit Data Network    |
| 12  |       | 66.185.153.117 | bb2-nye-P3-0.atdn.net                 | ?Reston, VA 20191       |        | 76  |   x---     | AOL Transit Data Network    |
| 13  |       | 66.185.152.173 | bb1-nye-P1-0.atdn.net                 | ?Reston, VA 20191       |        | 78  |   x---     | AOL Transit Data Network    |
| 14  |       | 66.185.153.121 | bb1-alb-P0-2.atdn.net                 | ?Reston, VA 20191       |        | 74  |   x-       | AOL Transit Data Network    |
| 15  |       | 66.185.148.97  | pop1-alb-P0-0.atdn.net                | ?Reston, VA 20191       |        | 78  |   x-       | AOL Transit Data Network    |
| 16  |       | 66.185.148.110 | rr-syracuse.atdn.net                  | ?Reston, VA 20191       |        | 86  |   x-       | AOL Transit Data Network    |
| 17  |       | 24.92.226.57   | syrcnydhcp08-hme0.nyroc.rr.com        | Rochester, NY, USA      | -05:00 | 82  |   x--      | ServiceCo LLC - Road Runner |
Roundtrip time to 24.92.226.57, average = 82ms, min = 78ms, max = 125ms -- 07-Jul-02 9:07:03 PM

Dragyn

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2002, 05:24:03 pm »

I would definately use a router. I think with the setup you have, you are more vulernable to attacks (as so I read).

I actually just bought a linksys router with a 4-port 10/100 switch yesterday. Works really good. The other one I had kept dropping the internet connection (SMC).

Mine was around $100. You probably can find them cheaper but I needed one badly and I wasn't too concerned about the price.

NY40Male

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2002, 05:25:10 pm »

But If I Do It With A Shared Folder..Then I Have To Import The Files Onto The Other Computer? yes no?.....Thats What I Dont Want To Do....Had That Before \MusicServer\Music Then Connected To That..Only Problem Was Keeping 2 Database Synced..
Keep Typing..Going To Show This Post To Someone Tomorrow Who Can Hopefully Help Me...Any More You Can Provide Will Surely Help Him..I'm Beyond Help

I'm Only Paying For 1 Account On Road Runner...And Before When I Had My 3rd Computer Setup (Which Needs A New Harddrive Put In...I Had To Switch A Bunch Of Mine Around) I Will Put That One Back Online

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2002, 07:20:45 pm »

Nope, with a shared network drive you do not need to reimport the files. On each installation of MJ you will just open the same library from the shared folder. But youneed to prevent different user to update the library at the samne time or things can go out of sync. You can do thatin two ways: make the library read-only or set one of the MJ in "party mode" where the changes to the database are not saved to disk

Good Luck!
Claudio
Pages: [1]   Go Up