INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: System and internal volume problems  (Read 2676 times)

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
System and internal volume problems
« on: October 08, 2009, 08:30:51 am »

I'm having huge sound problems with my HDA Xplosion 7.1 sound card. I've tested it in XP and Windows 7, as well as with MC13 and 14, and the result is the same. No matter what.

I'm using SPDIF output to my reciever, and the sound is nice and clear. When I choose System volume, only my right speaker is adjusting it's volume when I move the volume slider in MC. The level on the left is the same, no matter what I do.

If I set the sound to Internal Volume (music only), the volume goes up and down as I change the levels, but it's a pretty noticeable delay before the correct volume level is set. This is also only working for Audio, so it's really not a good option, as I have to use my receiver remote as well. I KNOW this sound card worked as intended a few months ago on my HTPC. I was still still running a rather new build of MC13 at that time. Just upgraded to 14 yesterday as I finally got the time.

I've been through all of the Xplosion settings I can think of, I've had old and never versions of the software. As it's the same with different driver versions and different OS', I'm starting to think that this might be a MC13/14 setting or bug issue?

Anyone have some ideas to help me out here? I'd hate to buy a new sound card just because of this.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

gappie

Re: System and internal volume problems
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 08:54:11 am »

have you tried to switch between direct sound, wave etc?
are all dsp's disabled?
does it also happen when using the analoge outputs from the card?

just some ideas to test.

:)
gab

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 08:55:44 am »

I can't help you with the soundcard driver problem, but Internal Volume acts fast enough for me on XP when the buffereng is set to default (0.5 s) in the output mode settings. Have you increased the buffering amount?

Despite the "audio only" text in the volume settings, Internal Volume works also with DirectShow decoded video sound tracks if you have set the Playback Method setting to "JRiver video engine (using DirectSHow filters)". This is a file type specific setting in Options > File Types > ...

EDIT

On Windows Vista and 7 the standard (not exclusive) WASAPI mode should provide the application specific volume option that might help. I have currently only XP installed on my PCs, but perhaps others can provide more info.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 04:56:07 am »

This is weired...

It seems like i CAN adjust all volume (not just audio) with the Internal Volume (music only). Something changed from MC13 to 14 here? Only tested it on one movie yesterday, so I have to try more formats. Not sure if all will work with ffdshow, coreavc etc.
So, for now it works as I wanted. Except for the delay on the volume, but I can live with that. Also noticed that there is a volume control for the application only. This might work even better. I'll test it out later.

I've tested with analog output, and everything works correctly then. I played more with direct sound, wave, asio etc on the XP machine, but nothing changed. I'll play more with it in Windows 7 as well. WASAPI might make a difference.

Thanks for the suggestions.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

gappie

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 05:29:58 am »

This is weired...

It seems like i CAN adjust all volume (not just audio) with the Internal Volume (music only). Something changed from MC13 to 14 here? Only tested it on one movie yesterday, so I have to try more formats. Not sure if all will work with ffdshow, coreavc etc.

;D
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=37358.0

;)
gab
Pages: [1]   Go Up