INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [solved]Portable installation config settings not restored.  (Read 1347 times)

kurushi

• Citizen of the Universe
[solved]Portable installation config settings not restored.
« on: October 15, 2009, 10:20:50 am »

Hi.
the installation portable is very good cause i stock my zic on a "my passeport digital" device so i can show to my friends my library and easyly find my tunes.
But the prob (due to the portable installation because it's not writing the windows registry) is i must reconfig MC (language with annoying popup skins etc..)
So here's my question on a future update does it 'll possible to have a config file in the mc folder.

Thx in advance.
Sorry if the prob was already posted.
ps / sorry for my poor english.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Portable installation config settings not restored.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 11:17:31 am »

Settings in a portable install are stored in ini files under the program's install directory:
User Settings.ini
Machine Settings.ini

Make sure you're not erasing the install folder to upgrade to a new build, since this would erase settings as well.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MusicHawk

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 11:27:58 am »

Settings in a portable install are stored in ini files under the program's install directory:
User Settings.ini
Machine Settings.ini

This is wonderful, assuming all the stuff that is otherwise stashed here and there is in one place for easy and reliable backup, transfer to another PC, etc. (Meaning, the user data that is "normally" put in various user-specific Windows folder and the Registry, difficult to track down and even more difficult to manage.)

Is there any reason to NOT use Portable installation mode in a non-portable situation?

Ideally, MC would either default to always using .ini files in a fixed, documented location, or allow the user to select this mode even if not "portable", and/or allow the user to specify the path where .ini files and other user-controlled design/config is stored.

(My comments are driven by the ongoing extra steps to keep multiple PCs synched to use the same smartlists, view designs, display/track info designs, photo captions, library design/fields, library backups, etc. via a mix of overriding MC default locations where possible, and complex backup scripts to pick up most of the rest, with the Registry stuff the most painful...)

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 11:30:30 am »

Is there any reason to NOT use Portable installation mode in a non-portable situation?

Portable install does not support all plugins and has a few other limitations. 

The portable install is designed for simple playback on-the-go, and not recommended as a replacement for a regular install.

Allowing the use of ini files for settings (instead of the registry) in a regular install is something we've toyed with, but it won't happen for v14.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

kurushi

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 12:17:29 pm »

Thx for this rapid answer.
I have the 2 ini files in
L:\MC14 Portable\Application Data\J River\Media Center 14\Settings

But i haven't found a line with language or skin setting.

The prob is when i start MC14 portable instal my settings aren't RESTORED
I need to reconfig all because it open with default settings.

Maybe a bug does i need to reinstall? (i use windows seven)

Edit: for language i have dropped all the folders there's only the french language and it come by default. ;)
But dunno how i can make for others settings.(i can't selete the default noire skin...)

kurushi

Re: [solved]Portable installation config settings not restored.
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 07:02:55 am »

A clean install of version v14.0.88 have solved the problem. :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up