INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SoundGraph IMON 3RSystem Front Display  (Read 2080 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
SoundGraph IMON 3RSystem Front Display
« on: October 10, 2009, 07:52:39 pm »

With my newly built home theater pc came a front display.  It reads out two lines of text, about 16 - 20 characters wide.  The display is a light blue tint and also includes an IR receiver with remote.  I have several questions about this:

1. The remote has its own software with it.  Is there any way to configure Media Center to use the remote directly through the learning function?  I tried with the IMON software enabled and disabled but no signals were received.  I also went into the device list within MC and checked all that were available.

2. Is there much hope in getting this display to read out Media Center content?  It has a plugin system but I had very little luck searching around on how to obtain or even start writing my own.  How difficult is this?  Seems like MC would just have to run an exe every time the main upper view area changes (two lines, customizable, hey--direct match!).  So what if it was possible to just run an exe with a command line parameter about what text to display.

It would be nice if there was some common format for using IR remotes and small text/or better displays.  This display started impressing me with all its readout info but that's only good for a few minutes.  In a real HTPC case, I would want it to display what is playing / what is selected (by cursor) or a bar graph of how far you are in the current content.  Or large numbers (if even possible with this unit) of position.  And most importantly, an easy way to shut it off.

It would be nice if MC's theater view gained a Settings page to configure things about it.  This could include plugin settings so a user could configure what their display would do through a nice interface -- THEATER view!

The worst thing about this remote compared to my previous all inclusive choice (Keyspan) is that it doesn't even let me map a remote button to run an executable!  What a joke!  And it does power on the computer from the remote (hardware activated to PWR Switch pins on mobo!) but I can't get them to work correctly once the machine is on for activating sleep or shutting down.

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: SoundGraph IMON 3RSystem Front Display
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 11:03:20 am »

Is there such a thing as a general IR-receiver that any remote software can use?  Or do all receivers have to work with their own remote and software?

I have the Keyspan remote & receiver in addition to the IMON built in receiver and remote.  If I could use the built in IR receiver with my keyspan remote and software, I would be set.
Pages: [1]   Go Up