INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Force JRiver MC to use different dvd codec in Vista? Not possible?  (Read 1642 times)

Jakobkraft

• Recent member

I can't for the life of me get MC to NOT use Microsoft's MPEG-2 decoder in Vista Ultimate, which is not THAT bad a codec, but there are far better ones I'd prefer to use (Gabest, for example). MC will use my other preferred codecs for other video files but for DVD playback it seems to be locked on Microsoft's codec. Given this is NOT Windows media Player, I would think MC would present an option as to which codec to use for DVD playback - is there a workaround or maybe something that I'm doing wrong? I would really love MC to be my all-in-one but this would definitely be a dealbreaker for me...

Any help would be appreciated - thanks in advance!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Force JRiver MC to use different dvd codec in Vista? Not possible?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 02:14:56 pm »

This has nothing to do with MC, but would apply equally to any DirectShow player (the Microsoft Codecs are designed to override any other codecs on the system).  The Microsoft MPEG-2 Decoder is actually quite renowned for high-quality and extremely good stability.  However, if for some reason you insist upon changing it, you can either manually modify the registry settings or use a tool like this one:  http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/11/29/vista-media-center-mpeg2-decoder-selection-utility/
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Jakobkraft

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 07:31:11 pm »

Actually I'd already had the utility in effect (was the only way to get WMP11 to use Gabest decoder for DVD playback) so normally that utility works great. But strangely now matter what, MC uses Microsoft MPEG-2 decoder which frankly, without a 'Blend' or 'Bob' option kind of looks like crap. Oh well, thanks anyway...

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 07:47:57 pm »

Have you tried forcing your preferred decoder via Options==> Filetypes==> MPEG Video?
If you select 'JRiver Video Engine (Using directshow filters)', then you should be able to pick and choose your Directshow filter chain :)

Works perfectly with FFDShow here :)

-Leezer-

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 08:25:26 pm »

Sorry, maybe this is another case of my "half-baked pie" causing problems.

DVD settings are at Tools > Options > Playback > Video > DVD Playback Settings..., and not at File Types.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 11:54:59 am »

Sorry, maybe this is another case of my "half-baked pie" causing problems.

DVD settings are at Tools > Options > Playback > Video > DVD Playback Settings..., and not at File Types.

The video playback settings really should be further re-worked.  It confuses me now...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up