INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Long range cordless numeric keypad  (Read 3482 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Long range cordless numeric keypad
« on: October 19, 2009, 12:22:44 am »

Does anyone know where I could purchase the product described?  A long range cordless numeric keypad.  I have used corded keypads and they work great.  But the one cordless unit I purchased only reaches about a foot away.  Another product a review stating this same general level of range.  Infrared?  RF would be best I would think.  This is a special use that I have and would really appreciate any ideas.  I'm not having any search luck.

Thanks!

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
Re: Long range cordless numeric keypad
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 12:51:50 am »

bluetooth runs 10 meters nominal.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 09:31:04 am »

Could you use a remote? They have numbers on?

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 01:20:31 pm »

Benn, what you you trying to do with the keypad?

benn600

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 08:32:27 pm »

I have tried two so far.  One just randomly chosen online and a second from Best Buy (Targus).  This second one specifically stated that it would reach 33' -- well, it doesn't.  It, too, reaches about 2 feet just like the first one I tried.  Both of them take a single AAA battery which is highly suspect in the power range for long range.

I have written a highly specific application which is interfaced directly through a numeric keypad.  So far, I have used a few corded keypads with great success--and have ran 15' of extensions.  I now need a wireless interface.  Infrared would work.  Most important is a solid connection so IR might be more reliable--with a given that it is not blocked.

On the Targus product, their own site says BOTH 33' and 10' on the same page in different areas.  I called them and they are going to contact corporate.  Any full size keyboard will reach dozens of feet (typically) but these keypads are usually meant for adjacent use.  Long battery life would be appreciated--so 2 or 4 batteries would provide some extra backing and allow a longer run time.  An average of 15 keys will be pushed per day...so definitely not extensive use but I don't want to have to turn it on and off.  IR does seem potentially useful here.

I appreciate the full range of buttons on a typical keypad: *, +, ., etc.

robydago

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 02:18:28 am »

their own site says BOTH 33' and 10' on the same page

33 feet = 10.0584 meters
maybe they were trying to state the metric value

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 09:51:28 am »

have you considered getting an old iPaq with wifi and running your remote keyboards that way?

benn600

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 11:32:03 am »

I own two iPaqs, although my newest just sold online and will be shipped soon.  I got a response from Targus and they just said they don't have any other suggestions.  I bet the metric conversion is what they were trying to do--good catch.

It needs to be very simple and I don't want to use WiFi or a hugely complex device like a PPC.  Just a keypad entry or remote.  Back to the Bluetooth thought: how feasible is this?  Does Bluetooth automatically mean ~30 foot range without question?  I need to find a BT keypad with 2 or 4 batteries.  More voltage likely means longer range...and longevity.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 05:19:04 pm »

newegg is always a good place to start

benn600

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 07:16:53 pm »

I've placed dozens of orders on Newegg and that's where I found the first keypad I ordered.  They have very few to pick from.  However, I do recall a Bluetooth keypad.  None of them brag about range all that much.  The reviews will usually reveal 2-3' range.

My question is: does being an official Bluetooth product require 30' range?  Or can they put in a low range BT chip?  I'll search around a bit more...

benn600

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 07:18:40 pm »

Here is a Bluetooth unit, relatively expensive.  But it doesn't mention range and has no reviews...  Tough to make decisions with so little information.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823158002

Okay, this site says 33' ...lol, back to that same ol' 33' like the Targus.
http://www.jr.com/interlink/pe/ILK_VP6270/

2 AAA batteries--that might be the ticket (not 1)!  I ordered this one from Amazon $48.
Pages: [1]   Go Up