INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to use expressions to edit tags?  (Read 1096 times)

dasfoo

• Junior Woodchuck
How to use expressions to edit tags?
« on: October 19, 2009, 01:23:58 am »

Hi,

I just found out that we can use expressions like RemoveRight(), etc., to alter tags in bulk. Then I found this page at the wiki with all the expressions. This is great.

However, what seems to be missing, as far as I can tell, is any instruction on where in MC you can apply these expressions to make them useful.

Say I have a playlist or search view of a bunch of tracks to which I want to apply an expression (like removing the last 10 characters of the Name tag, ala RemoveRight([name],10)) -- where do I put this code to make it apply to the selected tracks?

Thanks!

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to use expressions to edit tags?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 02:40:21 am »

In the file list, you can right click in the column of one of your selected files and choose 'rename' from the menu. The list then enters "inline edit mode"... type your expression in the edit box and press enter to have it applied to all files.

You could also enter the expression into the Name tag in the Tag window. It will state "Varies" when multiple files are selected. Click to edit, then type your expression in there, then press enter to apply it to all selected files.

When entering expressions in this manner, remember that the expression evaluator needs to be invoked, it does not happen automagically. You tell MC it's an expression rather than a string by adding a preceding equal sign: =RemoveRight([name],10)

Note that I've removed the final closing parenthesis from your example too, as it was one too many. Openers and closers must be equal in expressions.

Have fun,
-marko.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 02:45:13 am »

dasfoo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 02:59:14 am »

In the file list, you can right click in the column of one of your selected files and choose 'rename' from the menu. The list then enters "inline edit mode"... type your expression in the edit box and press enter to have it applied to all files.

You could also enter the expression into the Name tag in the Tag window. It will state "Varies" when multiple files are selected. Click to edit, then type your expression in there, then press enter to apply it to all selected files.

Ah, thanks! I had no idea about the context menu on the columns!
Pages: [1]   Go Up