INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loosing rating information after copying file  (Read 1980 times)

dhartert

• Recent member
Loosing rating information after copying file
« on: October 20, 2009, 04:42:31 pm »

For several reasons I needed a second library independent from my first library in MC13, and for that purpose I copied a number of files (with Windows Explorer) to a new disk location and imported these files into the new library. To my surprise most files had lost their rating information. I tried to figure out what happened, it seems like the rating information is not stored in the files. However, trying to get the information for sure into the files by executing "update tags from library" did not solve the problem either. Very strange!

I did a number of other tests, then found out that even within the same library I get the same problem: I copied an existing track with rating information to another directory (with Windows Explorer), then opened the track with MC13 to play it, right-clicked on "tag" and no rating information was available. I'm lost, does anyone know how MC13 stores the rating information, and how can I make sure that the information is kept within the file so I can move the file between libraries and not loose that information anymore.

Thanks !

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Loosing rating information after copying file
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 04:48:23 pm »

What kind of file?  Not all kinds can be tagged.

dhartert

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 12:05:14 am »

Jim, these are MP3 files, so nothing special. Another thing I noticed: within the library that shows the rating field correctly, when I click on "show tags with value" the rating field is no longer displayed (although within "show all" the field shows values, i.e. 1 .. 5).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 07:03:26 am »

Where do you see the rating?  In IE?  Microsoft has some tag problems from time to time.  We fix them as we find them.  You could try MC14.

It could also be another program causing a problem.  Tag standards are not universal.

I don't recall hearing of this problem.

dhartert

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 10:31:52 am »

I see the rating in two places within MC13. In the main window where all my tracks included in the library are listed, I see the stars related to the rating (i.e. 4 stars = rating 4). And I see it within the little tag window on the left side, as a field amongst many other fields. So far I assumed that window displays solely tag information embedded into the file, but is that a correct assumption ?

If I now copy one of my tracks with Windows Explorer to another disk location, I can do two things that show the same problem:

1) I switch to another (i.e. empty) library within MC13, and import that track. This imported track will then not include any rating information (0 stars in the main window, and a "?" in the rating field within the tag window.

2) I stay within the same library which does contain the correct track information, but open the copied track from the new disk location just to play it. When I then bring up the tag window for that track, the rating field show a "?".

So I'm wondering where my ratings are really stored ?

To give you some more background why I even ran into the problem. I made a full copy of my original MC13 library, containing about 5000 tracks. The reason for a second library is to replace there over time the MP3 files with FLAC files. I will maintain the original library as "MP3 only", as I use it to feed an MP3 player that will not have enough capacity to carry all the FLAC files. In creating the second library, I used the "clone" function. Everything worked well, except that I lost for more than 60% of my files the rating information. I assumed the rating information is stored within the files, meaning I will never loose it when copying the files around.

Thanks for your help ! I need to solve this problem otherwise my "project" is dead because of too much manual effort.
Pages: [1]   Go Up