INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Win 7 issue? Or something else?  (Read 2618 times)

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
Win 7 issue? Or something else?
« on: October 26, 2009, 11:04:59 am »

Hello. I have a new clean build of 64-bit Win 7.  My trusty old MC11 (which had been running under Vista) locks up, so I decided it might be time to spring for an upgrade.  I downloaded and installed MC14, and used the library manager so it would use my MC11 library (I have some view schemes and auto playlists I wanted to keep) (I keep all my data files on a separate partition, so the old files were available after the clean install of Win 7.  Seemed to work fine.  After a shutdown and restart, however, when I try to start MC14, I get a error dialog that says something like:  "Media Center was installed on a different operating system.  Please reinstall Media Center."  Any ideas what's going on?  Could this be the result of trying to use my old library instead of starting from scratch?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Win 7 issue? Or something else?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 12:42:41 pm »

Are you running something in compatibility mode so the system lies about the version of Windows?  Media Center doesn't need or want that.

Are you doing a portable install by chance?

For a normal install, the version of the OS is in the registry here:
HKLM\Software\JRiver\Media Core\Installations\Media Center 14

For Windows 7, you should see:
OS Version: 10

The installer writes this each install.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 03:57:26 pm »

I'll check, Matt, but I don't think I'm in compatibility mode.  I did try MC11 in XPS3 compat mode, but it didn't work -- but the installs are in different places with different shortcuts, so I don't see why that would effect 14.  I will also try unistalling MC11.

Thanks for your reply!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 04:03:57 pm »

I'd be quite curious what value you have in the registry at the location I mentioned.

Several of us here are using different revisions of Windows 7 and haven't seen this.  But a couple users have reported this issue, making us wonder if the RTM build is automatically using compatibility mode when it shouldn't.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 11:11:06 am »

Matt, sorry I did not check the registry before reinstalling MC14.  The reinstall picked up the settings from the previous install, and the program started up fine after a reboot, so go figure.  If the problem recurs, I will check the registry and let you know what I find.

Thanks,  Alan

shawnholt

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 07:28:46 pm »

I got the same error - "Installed for a different operating system"  - no idea why it suddenly happened (no OS change)
Pages: [1]   Go Up