INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: buy a Media center PC advice  (Read 3231 times)

AddyV

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
buy a Media center PC advice
« on: October 29, 2009, 02:56:05 am »

Hi there,

I would like to buy a Media center PC for playing music via my stereo, playing fotoshows/movies on HD TV, playing movies via DVD with Dolby surround (home cinema).
do you have any advice that I should keep in mind when ordering the hardware?
I will upgrade my MC12 to MC14, do I need your remote control or can I use the remote control that goes with the hardware?

thanks, all advices will be appreciated.

AddyV

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: buy a Media center PC advice
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 04:41:42 am »

The PC hardware it self is not that important. Just get a dual or quad core CPU, and you'll be fine. I5 CPU's would be a good choice for a mid-range HTPC. RAM is more important. 2 GB I would say is a minimum. 4 or more is the best. It costs so little today anyway.
A sound card is good to have in a HTPC. Most of the onboard types is just crap. I'd keep away from the Creative ones though.
I'd get Win 7 64 bit if I were you. It just works. Alternatively use a XP version you have laying around.

When it get to remotes I would go for a Gyration remote. The mouse control works great, it uses Radio frequency (don't have to point towards the PC),  and it have everything you need except for letters. That is not really needed if you're using Theater View anyway. A small hidden keyboard is needed for lots of editing. A good alternative would be the remote J River sells. I think it works well, but I don't think there is mouse support.

Maybe not the help you wanted here. But it mostly comes down to taste when deciding hardware really. Cabinet is one of the most important choices imo, and how silent you want it to be. The more cool and quiet you want it to be, the more expensive it is. Usually.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 05:53:08 am »

You can see at the top of this board that jriver are now selling dedicated media center pcs.

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 09:23:34 am »

I'm interested in this too, mainly re: the soundcard choice and the best method of connecting the PC to the TV(s) and such.  I built a q9450-based system a year ago for this but now I'm planning on a new i7 build of some kind, probably early next year.

It would probably be interesting for us newbies in the HTPC world for the advanced folks here to maybe post their system specs and layouts?  Please?  :)

stevenf

• World Citizen
  • It works for me....
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 09:25:50 am »

why keep away from creative ones, sound cards i mean?

Thanks

Stevenf

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 10:14:39 am »

Cause there's been nothing but trouble with the drivers in the past. Even if it have improved, they do not longer get my coins. Their special optical connections is a negative thing, and there's several cards that preform better as well. This is based on a few facts and my opinions. So don't shoot me. I'd go for a Asus Xonar card instead. Those look really good on paper. Gotten good reviews as well.

The J River HTPC's are definitely promising. Have to get some reviews of them first before I can comment.

If it was up to me, I'd do it this way (sorry, got a bit carried away with my own dreams here):

HTPC (livingroom?)
Reciever for surrond and stereo sound
HTCP, obviously (dual core or quad, 4 GB ram)
Asus Xonar Soundcard (optical output to reciever), or directly to the TV if it supports it
Radeon 5850 or 5750? (HDMI/DVI and Displayport to reciever), or directly to the TV if it supports it
Gyration as a everyday use remote control
Dinovo Mini when you have to have that Keyboard

Tremote (remote control of HTPC)
Small touch screen based laptop

HTPC (kitchen?) - Connected to Media Library
Small case (fanless built into the wall?)
Lower end CPU
Lower end GPU
Touch Screen

Server (Media, not library server)
Quad core
Huge case
Plenty storage (preferably raid)

I would buy file server and connect all the HTPC's to this one. Having all the media locally have it's downsides. Especially if you want to turn it off at times, and others want to access the media. But IF you use the HTPC as a HTPC/media server you can drop the other Server and use the Tremote function directly on the HTPC. THAT is a cool thing. Get a cheap laptop with touchscreen and flick away from your couch! You'd also get the server library functions, which improves multi client support. Let's just hope that auto sync feature get's implemented soon!

The downside of a multi-client-to-server approach is that you can't run a library server AND connect to your HTPC with the Tremote function. That's my problem today. So I'll probably end up with duplicated libraries on all clients, shared media from the server and Tremote to the HTPC.

I'm not an expert on multiple zones. But you can use up to 3 zones in stereo from one surround card and reciever. Add a reciever or a stereo and another sound card, and you have more. The sky is the limit!

stevenf

• World Citizen
  • It works for me....
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 12:39:11 pm »

Thanks, i'll check out the sound cards you mentioned.

Stevenf

Daydream

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 11:32:14 pm »

Server (Media, not library server)
Quad core
Huge case
Plenty storage (preferably raid)

Just for fun: what if I put 15HDD into one (normal) big tower case, rig everything together with port multiplier cards plus the onboard SATA slots, go softraid or the cheapest RAID controller card that will work with everything as is -> for a system that has to deliver space, not speed cause I don't have 20 people in the house that want to watch something different at the same time, and also that doesn't have to be up 24/7 'cause I only have a couple of hours a day to watch something, that is if I don't do something else. And the cost will be... much less ! :)

Heck I may ditch the RAID entirely and just have independent drives, hooked up with mount points not letters, so I don't run out of the alphabet. :)

My point: these projects very often go for 'money no object' scenarios, which delivers very solid systems for serious investments. Which by far and large I'd say is not the case with most people. So between an Acer Revo with an Atom 330 that can literally disappear in the living room and a full fledged media server, there's a lot of ground to cover in between. Maybe more than it looks.

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 02:41:58 am »

If you have a receiver, you dont need a soundcard. Just let the receiver do the DA conversion. hdmi is the easiest way if your receiver supports it.

MrHaugen

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 02:55:56 am »

Just for fun: what if I put 15HDD into one (normal) big tower case, rig everything together with port multiplier cards plus the onboard SATA slots, go softraid or the cheapest RAID controller card that will work with everything as is -> for a system that has to deliver space, not speed cause I don't have 20 people in the house that want to watch something different at the same time, and also that doesn't have to be up 24/7 'cause I only have a couple of hours a day to watch something, that is if I don't do something else. And the cost will be... much less ! :)

Heck I may ditch the RAID entirely and just have independent drives, hooked up with mount points not letters, so I don't run out of the alphabet. :)

My point: these projects very often go for 'money no object' scenarios, which delivers very solid systems for serious investments. Which by far and large I'd say is not the case with most people. So between an Acer Revo with an Atom 330 that can literally disappear in the living room and a full fledged media server, there's a lot of ground to cover in between. Maybe more than it looks.

Sure. You can use PM's and software raid. But IF you have 20 users as you say, you have a potential problem! PM's are fine to use. PM's don't cause problems. Software raid does. You should consider getting a decent Raid 5 card for all those drives anyway. It might cost as little as a couple of hundred bucks, but it gives you more protection if a disk or the motherboard dies on you. It also gives you better speed overall, and you might even use the file server for other things than just pushing data as well.

Independent disks is NO fun :) I tried it for a while.  Even with only 5 my head was spinning.

If you have a receiver, you dont need a soundcard. Just let the receiver do the DA conversion. hdmi is the easiest way if your receiver supports it.

You're talking about pass through? That also works. Good option if you have a smooth receiver with a good D/A converter. When it comes to connection there is more onboard soundcards with optical out though. Don't think that many GPU's support sound yet?

AddyV

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 08:44:54 am »

I'm trying to put a MC together, therefor I went to a Forcom shop where they assemble a PC.

My first requirement is a case that fits with standard audio components sizes. they had only one "Antec Fusion MediaCenter".
but they couldn't find a motherboard with an optical out to connect it to my receiver. all motherboards with such a connection do not fit in that case.
I was advised to use a tower PC, which I don't want.
I'm trying to find something else on internet but I'm not a technical guy knowing everything about components and I can certainly not assemble it myself.
Any advice is still welcome

AddyV

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 08:50:48 am »

aussie1

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 05:59:09 pm »

The downside of a multi-client-to-server approach is that you can't run a library server AND connect to your HTPC with the Tremote function. That's my problem today. So I'll probably end up with duplicated libraries on all clients, shared media from the server and Tremote to the HTPC.

My network design is similar to MrHaugan's proposal. I had the same worry about the Tremote function, but as Jim described (somewhat cryptically in a different thread which I can't find right now), you can use Tremote to control the HTPC in this multi-client-to-server design. There is no need for duplicated libraries on all the clients. The secret is to run library server on both your server machine and the HTPC client.

In other words:

A: Server machine contains the actual library files. Library server is on, broadcasting the library

B: HTPC connects to the server's library. Library server is on, broadcasting the HTPC library, which is, in fact, the library it is getting from the server machine

C: Your tremote machine operates the HTPC machine by connecting the the HTPC library server.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 07:05:59 pm »

A: Server machine contains the actual library files. Library server is on, broadcasting the library

B: HTPC connects to the server's library. Library server is on, broadcasting the HTPC library, which is, in fact, the library it is getting from the server machine

C: Your tremote machine operates the HTPC machine by connecting the the HTPC library server.

My setup is similar and full of awesomeness:

A: Server contains the HDs and all the media (music, movies, TV etc) but just runs as a fileserver - nothing JRiver related on it

B: HTPC accesses media from the server and runs Library server.

C: Multiple TreRemote machines can access/control media and still running NetRemote as well on several PDAs

D: I also built up a poor man's Whole Home audio distribution system so I have about 10 sets of speakers throughout the house and playing the same source and even bought one of those Commercial FM broadcast units ($15 on eBay) that realtors and the like use for drive-by broadcasting.  Its mono but essentially any FM radio close by including the neighbors can tune into my music.  Great for the garage, kids and their blaster in the summer etc... The JRiver audio zone is playing "something" all the time even if we aren't listening.  It's great to come into a room (like the bathroom for example) and turn the speaker dial and have instant music.  

Awesomeness!  
;D

MrHaugen

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 04:28:49 am »

My network design is similar to MrHaugan's proposal. I had the same worry about the Tremote function, but as Jim described (somewhat cryptically in a different thread which I can't find right now), you can use Tremote to control the HTPC in this multi-client-to-server design. There is no need for duplicated libraries on all the clients. The secret is to run library server on both your server machine and the HTPC client.

In other words:

That sure is good news! I can finally start using the Library functions then. Just waiting for that auto sync :)
I never really knew that this tremote/library setup could be sorted out with two Library servers. At least I thought it would give you some problems, but I'll take your word for it if you say it works well.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 01:41:20 pm »

The Gyration combo (remote & keyboard) is on sale with a rebate now. It uses one USB dongle for both devices. Excellent stuff. If you have an iPhone, Rivermote is coming as a native plugin for MC14 soon.
The PC hardware it self is not that important. Just get a dual or quad core CPU, and you'll be fine. I5 CPU's would be a good choice for a mid-range HTPC. RAM is more important. 2 GB I would say is a minimum. 4 or more is the best. It costs so little today anyway.
A sound card is good to have in a HTPC. Most of the onboard types is just crap. I'd keep away from the Creative ones though.
I'd get Win 7 64 bit if I were you. It just works. Alternatively use a XP version you have laying around.

When it get to remotes I would go for a Gyration remote. The mouse control works great, it uses Radio frequency (don't have to point towards the PC),  and it have everything you need except for letters. That is not really needed if you're using Theater View anyway. A small hidden keyboard is needed for lots of editing. A good alternative would be the remote J River sells. I think it works well, but I don't think there is mouse support.

Maybe not the help you wanted here. But it mostly comes down to taste when deciding hardware really. Cabinet is one of the most important choices imo, and how silent you want it to be. The more cool and quiet you want it to be, the more expensive it is. Usually.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 02:08:35 pm »

I don't use a master file server as I agree that cost is often an issue. I already have 6 PCs here.

The main HTPC is the file server with an Addonics box next to it. Glynor uses this setup. I have decided to run only 2 HDs through the eSata and the rest just connect direct to the motherboard via Sata cables.

I think the low power, small form factor stuff is the way to go. Especially, if you already have a master file server.

HTPC

JNC81 mini-ITX  (HD3200@1080P) , PSILE case, 125w picoPSU, 128GB G. Skill Falcon SSD (supports TRIM w/ new firmware)
5TB SATA ADDONICS
Win7x64
Connected via HDMI for Zone 1: TV Speakers (Kids/easy audio access)
Connected via Cat7 for Zone 2: EMU 1616M PCI>Nova preamp>etc.
(Zone 3 is manual, I just activate outside speakers on patio with hardware volume)

Kitchen PC

HP Touchsmart 800
Library Server
Synced with allwaysnc to HTPC to pull pictures

Laptops

Used for tag editing or remote viewing/listening via mapped drives

Bedroom

Need to find a simple DNLA device. Currently using a clock radio with ipod capability and Simplify Media on iPhone. Mostly just sleep in there anyway. No projector and mini system...yet.

Remotes

Gyration LCD & Keyboard
iPhone

Rivermote
Intelliremote

Pages: [1]   Go Up