INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Suggestion  (Read 2025 times)

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
Feature Suggestion
« on: October 29, 2009, 05:47:55 am »

One of the challenges that I have is crossover songs.  Songs that could be both Jazz and Rock or songs that are multiple genre and styles.  Is it feasible to create a search mode where I am able to list multiple genre, styles or a custom field that uses a separator like a "," and then search based on one or more keywords.  For example, in genre I have Jazz, Rock and I am looking for all Rock songs.  It would list all those that are Rock and all those that are Jazz, Rock.  This would enable the user to list multiple Genre, Styles or whatever they want to search on.  This would solve any need a user might have for a relational database. 

Tunetyme

darichman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Feature Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 06:56:11 am »

I think you can use an expression to list based on a delimiter (in your case ',')
Marko might be able to offer a bit more here ;)

Just looking at the expression language, try:
(EDIT: Sorry, I just tried it and it doesn't seem to work - it's just listing the first entry for me...)

Code: [Select]
=ListItem([Genre],0, /,/ )
&DataType=[list]

robydago

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 11:20:06 am »

you could add keywords.

for example by adding the following keyword to rock only songs:
genre\rock

adding this keyword to jazz only songs:
genre\jazz

and finally adding BOTH these keywords to rock and jazz crossover songs:
genre\rock
genre\jazz

and then you can customize a view, adding the keywords category two times so that you get a powerful interface to create complex selections with the MC GUI.

in this case for example if you select genre\rock in the first (leftmost) keywords category, you'll see all rocks songs, including crossover songs that are tagged rock plus any other genre; at the same time, in the second keywords (righmost) category MC will show you the genre\jazz keyword (because at least one rock song is tagged also as jazz) and you could use the second keywords category to filter your selection to display only the rock-jazz crossover songs

another plus of using keywords for genres (or anything else) is that with nested keywords you don't need new custom fields if you want to classify your music by genre, then by subgenre then by subsubgenre and so on
for example:
genre\jazz\cool
genre\jazz\swing\old
genre\jazz\swing\new
genre\jazz\bebop
genre\rock\hard`
genre\rock\progressive
...etc

robydago

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 07:25:22 pm »

here's an example of what I mean.

in this example the crossover is a piece by a composer (scriabin) that can be considered both genres\classical\romantic and genres\classical\modern

selecting genres\classical\romantic in the leftmost keywords category:

and then selecting genres\classical\modern in the rightmost keywords category, so that only songs from composers that are both modern and romantic are shown:

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 11:32:35 pm »

Thanks for the time you have spent on this Robydago and darichman.  The example I used was a simplistic view using two examples.  I want to be able to be more sophisticated in my search process.  Generally we use Genre as Styles.  What I am trying to do is be able to search on multiple fields that are able to contain delimited words.  While in Genre it is hard to conceive something that would have more than 2 variables.  With Styles you may be able to list 5-10 (according to AMG). Add mood to the mix and I could be able to narrow down 20,000 files into a manageable group to develop play-lists.  

With all that said how do I start playing around with keywords.  I don't see anything in the Wiki.  Where do I enter them?  Do I use the back slash as the separator?  How many keyword panes can I have open at anytime?  That should keep me busy for awhile....

Could this be done with a slightly more sophisticated smart-list???

Thanks again,

Tunetyme

robydago

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 06:59:25 pm »

What I am trying to do is be able to search on multiple fields that are able to contain delimited words.  While in Genre it is hard to conceive something that would have more than 2 variables.  With Styles you may be able to list 5-10 (according to AMG). Add mood to the mix and I could be able to narrow down 20,000 files into a manageable group to develop play-lists.  

with keywords you don't need multiple fields
you can add to your songs all genre\xxx, style\yyy and mood\zzz keywords you want.

for example, if you want to tag music by the beatles according to AllMusic tags (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:hifrxqw5ldse), you could just add ALL these keywords to the beatles songs (note that each line is a single keyword):

Genre\PopRock
Style\Early PopRock
Style\Rock&Roll
Style\British Invasion
Style\Psychedelic
Style\Merseybeat
Style\PopRock
Style\British Psychedelia
Style\AM Pop
Style\Folk-Rock
Mood\Ambitious
Mood\Complex
Mood\Exciting
Mood\Fun
Mood\Bright
Mood\Lively
Mood\Witty
Mood\Carefree
Mood\Happy
Mood\Sentimental
Mood\Wistful
Mood\Searching
Mood\Sweet
Mood\Warm
Mood\Yearning
Mood\Whimsical
Mood\Amiable Good-Natured
Mood\Poignant
Mood\Laid-Back Mellow
Mood\Lush
Mood\Literate

With all that said how do I start playing around with keywords.  I don't see anything in the Wiki.  Where do I enter them?  Do I use the back slash as the separator?  How many keyword panes can I have open at anytime?  That should keep me busy for awhile....

Keywords are tags, so just select some files you want to tag and go to Action>Tag; then select the keyword tag and either press the Add new tag button, if you want to add a new keyword, or select an existing keyword form the list.

The backslash is the separator to have nested keywords; each keyword in the keywords fileld is separated by the semicolon ";", but when you enter keywords with the MC GUI usually you don't need to enter the semicolon separator if you want to add a keyword.

You can open all keywords panes you want.

robydago

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 07:11:34 pm »

Here's an example with photos

With just some clicks I'm able to select all photos taken in South Africa and where buffalos AND rhinos are in the same picture

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 07:04:38 am »

Thanks Robydago!

You may have solved any need I had for a relational database.

Tunetyme

ranjan

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 11:14:57 am »

Quite a useful thing to add keyword to music tracks.
Anyway to make a nested keyword directory to show in left pane & then later assign the selected keywords to the tracks? As of now I have to manually select the track then add the tags & nest them.

That's how other image database program works but I could not find a way to do the same for tracks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up