INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slim Case Labels  (Read 2951 times)

jolo

• World Citizen
Slim Case Labels
« on: July 05, 2002, 05:28:17 pm »

Love the simplicity of the quick CD label printing in MJ, but...

I keep my CDs in jewel slim cases. Recently purchased some Neato Slimline Jewel Case Inserts. Really only need one insert to print, on the front.

When I go to print, I see options for Neato and Neato II labels. Don't know which is which.

Also would love to print labels for two different CDs on the same page, rather than waste one of the Neato inserts.

While I work with software professionally, it is on the high tech side, printing graphically is something I am struggling with as well as impatient with. I do feel like an idiot with many of the label printing software products I have used (struggled with). So please excuse the simplicity of the question.

Anyone have experience with the jewel slim case label printing. Just want something simple with the name of the CD, artist and song list.

Thanks,

Jolo (Jon).

tullio

• Junior Woodchuck
RE:Slim Case Labels
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2002, 05:34:19 am »

Fellowes also sells slimline inserts.  I don't think MJB can handle either one.  But it's easy to use MJB with your word processor.

Simply edit the playlist in MJB to include what you want on the insert.  If all the songs are by the same artist, I limit it to song title and time.  Then copy the list and paste it into a 4.75" x 4.75" box in any word processor.  You might have to adjust font size and spacing depending on how many titles you have.  Then type in album title and artist or whatever else you want and use a pair of scissors or paper cutter.

Another approach is to edit the playlist as above then export it (File/Export Playlist) to any directory in html format.  The Export procedure lets you type in a title for your CD.  Then open the exported file with any html editor, scale the table to 4.75" x 4.75" and add whatever other text you want, e.g. artist name.

I've never used NEATO products.  So I don't know if they supply templates for word processors like Avery does.  If they do, then you can install the template and just paste or import the MJB playlist into it.  That way you can use the inserts you've already bought.

If NEATO doesn't supply templates, you could easily make one of your own in your Wrod processor.

jolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2002, 10:47:05 am »

Bless you tullio,

You're answer is what these forums or communities are supposed to be about !!

We are talking about the same labels. Fellowes line of CD label products and kits are under the Neato name. The slim line labels I'm referring to is here http://www.fellowes.com/store/index.cfm?selectProductCategory=197,1,143&pCat=197 .

I'll check out your solution, and let you know what I find out.

Thanks,

Jolo (Jon).

LCtheDJ

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2002, 01:17:28 pm »

I hope I understand your concern correctly.  In case I did, here's a helpful hint:

I've used Neato labels with their own software.  If you only want to print one label, you don't have to waste the second one on the sheet.  I've had success with just turning the sheet upside down to make what was the bottom label, now become the top label.  The spacing of the labels is the same from the edges either way.

gateley

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2002, 08:10:31 pm »

I also use the slim cases. Until John T listens to my complaints (:^), I just use a little glue and scissors, and don't even mess with word. It's not perfect, but it works. I glue the track list to the back of the main page, and cut off a long skinny strip and glue that to the left of the case.

j

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2002, 09:53:31 am »

>> I also use the slim cases.
>> Until John T listens to my complaints (:^),
So thats who we blame
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2002, 09:55:44 am »

Would you like John's home phone?  

I bought him a stack of slim jewel cases this weekend.  I heard him open them.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2002, 10:06:42 am »

Funny,

if it was that easy I would have bought them my self and sent them to him.

Getting ready to cook on the grill two racks of baby back ribs, they look good.

PS: this slow AOL dialup is killing me...
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JohnT

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2002, 12:47:34 pm »

Alright, alright. I've extensively researched the issue and I'm still not sure what these thingies should look like. The standard CD front cover fits fine into the slim-line jewel case, but doesn't extend over the extra area to the left of the CD (or up the little spine).

Questions:
1. For plain paper printing, do we just need to add enough width to extend over the extra area and up the spine? If so, do we need special, automatic text areas for these two regions? Probably just Artist - Album name and the MJ logo.

2. Do we need to support pre-printed labels for these right away? I can't find any at stores in my area, but I could order some on-line.

3. Do we need double sided printing capability, or just a "fold-over" flap that can show on the inside of the case like we already allow for standard CD covers?

Or, just dispense with the above questions and describe what you want for slim-line cases (pictures posted here or emailed to me would be nice).

Thanks.
John T.
johnt @ jriver.com
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2002, 12:52:44 pm »

His home phone is 1-800-GET-SLIM.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

tullio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2002, 02:02:57 pm »

John T

I know that the slimline cases I use take a 4.75" x 4.75" insert.

Digital Graphics also has downloadable templates for them.
discgraphics.com/cst/

Personally, I've made my own Word template, print on 5x8 index cards, and cut to size.

Jolo

Templates
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2002, 04:21:15 pm »

The slimline lsbels I not use are from Neato or Fellowes, Neato is part of Fellows. It is part # CIP-192412 SlimLine Case Insert. Details can be down at http://www.fellowes.com/store/index.cfm?selectProductCategory=197,1,143&pCat=197.

The form allows for two to a page. Slimline cases need front page inserts only. There is a solid back to them, therefore nothing in the back.

I downloaded the word template for these labels which works great. While I would love to stay in MJ and print the insert, but what I have started doing is to:

1. Configure a printer as "generic/text" which lets me "print" to a file.

2. Have MJ "print" the back label to a file. I make sure that I select Generic/Text as my printer first.

3. Copy the text from file using notepad.

4. Paste the contents into word, after opening up word and applying the USJCSLIM.dot template. I downloaded from the Neato/Fellowes site.
https://www.neato.com/public/neato_login.asp?register=yes&mscsid=UFNGXG86U1GN8HQHLK78VBKX9UA04LD1

5. Edit the label in Word to suit my tastes and mood).

6. Then print from Word on the SlimLine Case Insert form which fits perectly. No need for glue or anything because they are shaped to fit perfectly and snug in the slimline jewel case.

I will e-mail the imortal John the template for this.
If anyone wants it as well, let me know and I'll e-mail it to you as well.

Jolo (Jon).

AlonsoN

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2002, 11:32:49 am »

John T.

So happy you all are doing the slim case thing.

Goes like this.  To have the spine stay there needs to be a return back to the case that tucks in.  Otherwise the spine has to be cut short (and it's too small for that) or stick out and get snagged.  But 8.5 by 11 paper is too short to provide for the return and do inside cover by folding over.  So...

1. Do need double sided printing. (sorry)

2. Need autonomous areas for back, front, tab over to spine, spine and return under spine back to case.  Note: the tab over to spine, and spine are a mm or two narrower than case insert front and back.  The return goes back and tucks back under the tab over and into the case, and narrower at the end to tuck easily.  Seems kinda funky, but it works and stays put.  

3. The autonomous regions should not bleed over to other areas.  Can I presume that any stuff that MJ pre-positions in these areas can be removed and/or replaced with text or data by the user?  

Plain paper printing is fine for me, thank you.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2002, 11:41:32 am »

For Slim Cases I Would Like To Have A Listing Of Mp3's On Them, And Maybe A Picture Faded.

What I Have Been Doing For Many, many, Many Months now that MJ first had the labeler, was print the back sheet with the file list, leave the left edge one and the file list cut off the right side and the right side edge, and cut the label about 1\8 inch outside the lines.

since a slim case only has one label i think most people will want to have the songs listed on it. if it is an aduio cd, cover art, and the file list.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JohnT

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2002, 12:59:01 pm »

Well guys, we were in a hurry to go on the SlimFast plan so take a look at what comes out in today's build to see if it works for you. The build was pretty much done when the last couple postings were made, but I think it handles what you're looking for.

For plain paper, you can choose "SlimLine" or "SlimLine with fold-over". The fold-over version allows you to print a track list on the fold over part to make a kind of "booklet".

The regular "SlimLine" one can print a back cover with track list that is positioned on the paper so it lines up with a front cover on the other side. In other words, choose "SlimLine", print the front, flip the paper over in the printer and print the back; they should line up.

There is also a Fellowes pre-printed slimline label supported (their #99997).

I added a checkbox to place a tracklist on the front cover. The artist and title is also printed on the little 1/8" spine.

I put dotted lines where to cut the label narrower at the hinge side. Hopefully it's self evident where to cut.

Let us know how it works out.

Thanks,
John "Slim" Thompson
JRiver, Inc.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2002, 01:02:34 pm »

Good Stuff, Sounds like it will hit the Spot

Gateley was running out of glue.

Listening to: 'Crystal Ball' from 'Classics Volume 15' by 'Styx' on Media Jukebox
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JohnT

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2002, 01:30:02 pm »

Speaking of hitting the spot, it's about that time...

Ok, that's enough emoticons for now.

jolo

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2002, 02:37:30 pm »

All I can say is THANK YOU Slim, I mean John.

Fantastic.

Jolo (Jon)

tullio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2002, 04:18:38 am »

This may be ethically questionable.  I trust JimH will kill this post if it is out of line.  

I use a program called Sure Thing CD Labeler.  The fellow who runs their user forum has posted, on his personal site, templates that will be included in the next revision of the software.  Among these are a generic slimline insert and 2 Neato slimline inserts.

pete.mvd2.com/custom_templates.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up