INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Home Theater Advice  (Read 1486 times)

chirpp

• World Citizen
Home Theater Advice
« on: October 30, 2009, 04:11:47 pm »

I am looking for advice on home theater setup.  I know, I am opening a can of worms but I know this forum has some good ideas on a wide range of topics so I thought I would give it a shot!

Display - I currently don’t have a home theater setup – or anything I would call that any way. I currently have a 32” tube analog tv with cable  - basic, basic, basic (10.00/month basic) channels. As much as I would love to get more channels and move to the digital channel area, my financial side aka:wife, doesn’t see the need. I now have a projector that my work was tossing out.  I have played with it a bit and it seems ok, a little out of focus but not bad. It could be that I am displaying analog tv and regular dvd images to a large space so it looks a little fuzzy.  I have temporary access to a nice screen so it is giving it a true test I believe.
Question #1 – I could splurge and get a nice 54” plasma and hang it above my fireplace.  Pretty spendy jump when I already have the projector. Is there any reason people prefer one over the other?  I know projectors can get color wash out, and are noisy. I am leaning on saving this money and spending on other equipment if I can.  Any advice on this would be appreciated. I will add that we play dvd’s from a Panasonic DVD player with a hard drive as a recorder, as well as PS2 video game console, but also play movies from the HTPC when I can. (See next paragraph)

HTPC - I have a P4 2.4 with 1gb ram. This has worked well for playback of audio and movies that I have ripped to a shared drive on my network. I bought a Pinnacle USB PCTV HD Pro tv tuner a while back, in hopes it could run on a laptop or whatever.  It was dog slow on a laptop, so I moved it to my computer. It was not much better there!  So I installed an nVidia AGP card in it with 256 memory.  That seemed to make it better but at times it still gets broken up picture. I currently set this up to use ota only just so I could see what the hd looked like from my pc to the tv or projector. So I am thinking of getting a different video card with more memory in hopes that will take care of it. I also have access to a P4 2.8 with 1gb memory, but only on board video card. That only has PCI and no AGP or PCIe.  

Question #2. Is  this spec for a pc going to work for HTPC? Do I look at getting a better AGP (or PCI if I move to the 2.8 computer) card and then all the worlds problems are solved? Or do I look at getting a PCI tuner and then the current video card will suffice?  I assume you need some sort of decent graphics card to watch tv with a PC. (although it doesn’t really show it as a requirement). In a nutshell, how can I get a computer working correctly with a tv tuner with my spec – invest in video card, tv tuner card, or both?

I realize this is really open ended so I understand a response may be difficult.  Even something as basic as what you run that works, and why, would help. I realize I may not be able to afford what others recommend but it may point m in the right direction. I just need to know my money is going to the right items!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Home Theater Advice
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 04:38:35 pm »

You're in for an adventure.  Hide the bills from your wife.   ;)

I'll just comment on some of your questions.

Matt likes his projector.  I don't like having to watch in a dark room so I have a 40" LCD.  Flat panels are really affordable now.

Plan to use HDMI connectors on whenever you can.  Some things, like Blu-ray, will require it to get a good picture since they can secure the content using a protocol called HDCP.  HDMI is all you need to know though.  A receiver with several HDMI connectors in and one out is nice to have.

Your breakup on TV may just be a weak signal.  Check antennaweb.org for info on OTA.  MC will show the signal.  In Display View, use the up and down arrows to get the on screen display.   One of the choices is signal strength.  You need something around 75 to 80% to get a reliable, clean HD picture.
Pages: [1]   Go Up