INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Covert Art Add From File: Please add option to default File Open to file's dir  (Read 1126 times)

tjobbins

• World Citizen

Hi all

I have a feature request - no, a plea!

Please add an option that tells the Cover Art -> Add From File menu option to start the File Open dialogue in the directory that contains the selected file(s).:
  • So if I choose one file, and then Cover Art -> Add From File,  the File Open box will be looking at the directory that contains that file.
  • If I choose multiple files and they are all in the same directory, then the File Open box will be looking at that directory
  • If I choose multiple files, and they are in multiple different directories, then the File Open box would just choose the first of those directories  (obviously it's not perfect in this case, but this will be a rare case.

I am currently updating my cover art.  I have a large number of albums for which I do already have cover art, but it has a name like "thumb.jpg" or "cover.jpg" (or any other random name) and MC isn't finding it.  So I'm going through all my albums without cover art and choosing Add From File so that I can manually choose those files.

This is taking about 5 times longer than it could do, because every time I have to navigate the File Open dialogue to the right directory.  The majority of my time is spent navigating in the File Open dialogue.

It's doubly slow because it also means I have to do this in a view mode that allows me to see the filename path, otherwise I sometimes can't actually work out which is the directory for this album.   If I knew the File Open would default, I could run this in a pure Album thumbnail mode which would be quicker.

So adding the above option would save heaps of time when performing this task.

Thanks in advance

Tom

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe

there are pros and cons to your proposal, there has been a long discussion about it in the past. on the cons side are those who scan there own coverart and always pick up the images from one folder, and those who store the coverart in a specified folder.

in the mean time you could try an other workflow with this
first make sure you set the 'right click recent command count' higher than one (options>tree and view>advanced)

now right click on the album and choose 'locate on disk (inside media center)' (when you dont see the image, make sure 'show only files in library'at the top is disabled)
rightclick on the image you see there with the other files, choose edit image
rightclick on the image choose copy
click the back button, or alt+arrow left
rightclick on the album and choose coverart>paste from clipboard.

because the command count is set to for instance 5, the last 5 commands are at the top and quick accesable. i did it this way in the past and found it much easier, give it a try, maybe it works to for you.

:)
gab

tjobbins

• World Citizen

Hi Gappie

there are pros and cons to your proposal, there has been a long discussion about it in the past. on the cons side are those who scan there own coverart and always pick up the images from one folder, and those who store the coverart in a specified folder.

I understand, but I think if it's made a configuration option then there are no cons (besides the time it takes J River to implement);  people can use the option, or not, according to their preferences and config.

in the mean time you could try an other workflow with this
first make sure you set the 'right click recent command count' higher than one (options>tree and view>advanced)

Awesome!  I didn't even realise that option was there. I had often thought that just one Last Command was too few.  Thanks! :)

now right click on the album and choose 'locate on disk (inside media center)' (when you dont see the image, make sure 'show only files in library'at the top is disabled)
rightclick on the image you see there with the other files, choose edit image
rightclick on the image choose copy
click the back button, or alt+arrow left
rightclick on the album and choose coverart>paste from clipboard.

because the command count is set to for instance 5, the last 5 commands are at the top and quick accesable. i did it this way in the past and found it much easier, give it a try, maybe it works to for you.

That's a realy good idea, thank you - I'll try working like this now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up