INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Xbox, PlayStation 3, DLNA, and DIRECTV DVR support  (Read 72697 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Xbox, PlayStation 3, DLNA, and DIRECTV DVR support -- improved in build 94
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2009, 10:16:40 am »

Build 106, just posted, has some improvements.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2009, 04:18:13 pm »

Is there any fix in build 106 on the "playlist of playlists" issue that i reported a couple weeks ago?

icehouse10

• Recent member
« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2009, 10:15:34 pm »

I just bought a PlayStation 3 for my son but would like to run our movies through it.   I currently have Media Center 13 but would upgrade if I can do the following:  In my video section of Media Center is has all IFO files.  Example - The Mummy\VIDEO_TS.dvd;1

I downloaded the newest version 14.101 to try on the PlayStation and when I get to the movie title and click on it, it says The data type is not supported.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2009, 08:44:28 am »

Is there any fix in build 106 on the "playlist of playlists" issue that i reported a couple weeks ago?
At some point we want to make the views configurable, the focus now is getting as many native video and audio formats supported as possible since that is much more desirable than transcoding (especially for video).

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: December 03, 2009, 08:47:24 am »

I just bought a PlayStation 3 for my son but would like to run our movies through it.   I currently have Media Center 13 but would upgrade if I can do the following:  In my video section of Media Center is has all IFO files.  Example - The Mummy\VIDEO_TS.dvd;1

I downloaded the newest version 14.101 to try on the PlayStation and when I get to the movie title and click on it, it says The data type is not supported.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Could you try copying one of the vob files to something.mpg, importing it, then try playing it. It should work but may require transcoding because of the audio. We are working on that. If it does play, we probably just need to tweak that way the dvd is presented to the ps3.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #105 on: December 03, 2009, 08:56:13 am »

I downloaded the newest version 14.101 ...
Build 106 is at the top of this board.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2009, 09:22:41 am »

At some point we want to make the views configurable, the focus now is getting as many native video and audio formats supported as possible since that is much more desirable than transcoding (especially for video).

okay. thanks for the progress report. for what it's worth, i believe if i just move my smartlists to the main folder instead of keeping them in a subfolder that i will be able to select my playlists like that.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: December 08, 2009, 03:42:32 pm »

PS3 Media Server is capable of performing all three when transcoding the same FLAC files to uncompressed WAV. I get total track time, the track playback progress bar functions, and I can pause/restart playback of the track using the "Start" button on the PS3 controller without issue, so there must be a way.
Interesting, I'll check into that, thanks..

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Xbox, PlayStation 3, DLNA, and DIRECTV DVR support
« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2009, 10:19:36 am »

Build 111 has some improvements.  It's at the top of this board.

berthos

• Recent member
« Reply #109 on: December 17, 2009, 09:18:34 am »

Hello,

MC14 is well recognized by my DNLA TV and PS3.

But files don't appear on all devices or are not play (Sure i need to configure converting).

Video files do not appear at all. (wmv files)

It seems difficult to configure MC14 to do so. And what about View Scheme on the organization tree, I can't see it !

Thank you for your help.
Berthos

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2009, 10:22:17 am »

MC14 is well recognized by my DNLA TV and PS3.
What build are you using?  111 is at the top of this board.

berthos

• Recent member
« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2009, 10:30:22 am »

Yes,

Audio files are ok.

But not video !!

Berthos

berthos

• Recent member
« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2009, 10:38:31 am »

In fact, no files appear on the list of the receiver. The list is empty and it should be not because i am able to read these files with MC14.

Thanks,
Berthos.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: December 17, 2009, 11:47:44 am »

Are there ANY folders under the MC server on the PS3 video crossbar? If not, I'm thinking this is because the view scheme is fixed to video/ at this time and your top level view for video may not be video/ ?? Customizable views are coming...

berthos

• Recent member
« Reply #114 on: December 17, 2009, 05:00:47 pm »

Thank you,

But I am unable to find the default physical folder on the hard-drive where i should copy the video files.

Berthos

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: December 17, 2009, 05:54:15 pm »

Thank you,

But I am unable to find the default physical folder on the hard-drive where i should copy the video files.
It doesn't matter where they are on the disk.  It is only necessary to import them into MC.

berthos

• Recent member
« Reply #116 on: December 17, 2009, 06:22:30 pm »

There is something i dont understand. I imported files and have no problem to use them on mc or upnp.

With upnp (no problem with images and music), but on both receivers video is empty but there are wmv files visible with mc14 last release !

Something weird.

Berthos.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2009, 09:15:53 am »

You need a "Video" view at the top level. It must be spelled "Video". If you are in a different language than English you'll have to create a view called "Video".

berthos

• Recent member
« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2009, 10:08:01 am »

I have got that with plenty views.

:-\

berthos

• Recent member
« Reply #119 on: December 21, 2009, 03:04:18 pm »

Bob,

How can it be explained that i have a video file in the video view, i am able to see its content with MC14. But the file doesn't appear with upnp server both on my dlna tv and ps3 ?

???

Thank you,
Berthos.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #120 on: December 21, 2009, 07:51:37 pm »

I don't know what the problem is but we are doing a LOT of work in that area right now and so I would expect things to change in the near future...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: December 25, 2009, 07:38:18 am »

14.0.118 is available on this board now.  It includes a DLNA/UPnP Controller, so you can start playback on any device that supports this feature of DLNA / UPnP.  It lets MC act as a remote control, much like our Tremote feature, but using the DLNA protocol that many newer devices support.  DLNA is very close to UPnP, so some UPnP devices can now also be controlled by MC.

I wrote about the Western Digital HD TV Live device on our Other Hardware board.

The device being controlled is called a "renderer", meaning it can "play" the content (audio, video, and images).

For now, the copy of MC that is running the Controller must also be running our UPnP Server on port 2869.  This restriction will disappear soon.

When MC finds a device, it is added as a zone in MC and Playing Now opens to display it.  You must then select the device.

pbearblues

• Recent member
« Reply #122 on: December 28, 2009, 02:58:47 pm »

Hi,
thanks for the prompt reply.
yeah, I had gone thru this previously.

The UPnP gui has completely changed from .96.
 I think this is in response to the fact that you'll have numerous types of devices attempt to access the DLNA server and it wants to attempt to support as many as it can. 118 has no direct choise for which type of device you are using.

I did go in under advanced settings and chose PS3 compatable and DLNA...

I do get lists of folders available now when selecting the J River Media Server.
I see
Audio
Video
etc...
I see my playlists.
when I go into any of the playlists or however I attempt to drill down to an actual song, it comes up and states
"There are no titles" so I'm back where I was with .96 release. I cant see the mp3 files o
I also tried setting it to "always convert" and "uncompressed wave" but that didnt help either. any help would be appreciated.
regards

pbearblues

• Recent member
« Reply #123 on: December 28, 2009, 03:09:28 pm »

Hi all,

I'm getting "no titles here" on my PS3 when I drill down thru Audio files either thru artists or thru my playlists.
I've tried various settings in my 14.0.118 release. I had this problem on .96 as well.
I've tried setting it to convert everthing and uncompressed wave that was mentioned earlier in this post to no avail.

any suggestions?

Regards,
pbearblues

FPacheco

• Recent member
« Reply #124 on: December 28, 2009, 03:28:13 pm »

Hi all - I am experiencing shortened mpg playback durations via DLink's DSM-520 Media player (UPnP).

I have been watching full-length mpg movies through my Dlink-520 via UPnP for sometime. I recently upgraded to MC14 and it now appears that movies reach the end (duration time) before they have completed. For example, watching A Christmas Story over the holidays and Dlink reached the end of the movie (1:33:21) at about the 53 minute mark and thus stated the video was over. 

To get my Christmas Story "fix" this holiday season I turned to watching it via PC HDMI output to my TV. I noticed that in Theater View mode movies occasionally play in fast-forward. However, playing movies from MC's Standard View was fine.

I fired up MC13 and had no issues with movie playback via all modes (Dlink, Theater View, and Standard View).

I have upgraded to the latest version (118) and movies are still truncated when playing through the Dlink.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pbearblues

• Recent member
On the PS3, I see Audio, Images, Video but no mp3's
« Reply #125 on: December 29, 2009, 02:03:15 pm »

Hi all,

when I drill down thru the Audio hiearchy, I never see any songs to choose from. I get a message "No Titles Here"

have build .118 of MC14. My PS3 is up to date.

I've tried deleting the existing UPnP profile and create a new one , choosing Playstation 3 from the drop down list.
I can drill down thru the Audio menu's thru Artist , File location,etc... but when I choose the last folder that will house the actual songs-i.e. an Album - it comes back after a second or two and states "No Titles here"
I have MP3's and FLAC recordings in abundance.

I can drill down thru Video and find video files to play. But I cant drill down thru Audio and play MP3's or FLAC files.  I'm not able to actually see audio files.

From the Ps3 I can select my Promise NAT which is running DLNA and play mp3's just fine.

what am I doing wrong? Any clue? Is this a view issue? is there a setting on the PS3 that I'm missing?

I'm fixated on this now and cant let it go! Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry for the additional post but just trying to get some traction on this from some of you gurus out there! :)
Regards,
pbearblues

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: December 29, 2009, 03:51:22 pm »

Try the conversion options.  Try "always convert".

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: December 29, 2009, 03:53:54 pm »

Also, this is in the first post:

If you choose PS3, you may need to restart the UPnP Server and also search for servers again on the PS3.

pbearblues

• Recent member
« Reply #128 on: December 29, 2009, 06:13:08 pm »

Hi Jimh,

thanks for the reply.

I had tried "always convert" and I've stopped and started the UPnP service and rescanned for media servers on the PS3 in the past to no avail.

That said.. It's working now!
either the fact that MC13 was still installed with the media server option at startup which possibly was confusing it though I would think the media server and the UPnP server are totally different servers...or the fact that I rebooted the box.
one of those apparently took care of it... probably the reboot. oy..

thanks again!

:)
pbearblues

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: December 29, 2009, 06:34:00 pm »

I had tried "always convert" and I've stopped and started the UPnP service and rescanned for media servers on the PS3 in the past to no avail.

That said.. It's working now!
Good news!  Thanks for reporting what happened.  And thank you for your patience in solving it.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: December 30, 2009, 12:27:27 pm »

Are you playing the video back directly or do you have "convert video" checked?
Are you running the current firmware on the 520? We have one here. I'll give it a try asap.
Is the mpg movie mp2 video and mp2 audio or mp2 video and ac3 audio?

Hi all - I am experiencing shortened mpg playback durations via DLink's DSM-520 Media player (UPnP).

I have been watching full-length mpg movies through my Dlink-520 via UPnP for sometime. I recently upgraded to MC14 and it now appears that movies reach the end (duration time) before they have completed. For example, watching A Christmas Story over the holidays and Dlink reached the end of the movie (1:33:21) at about the 53 minute mark and thus stated the video was over. 

To get my Christmas Story "fix" this holiday season I turned to watching it via PC HDMI output to my TV. I noticed that in Theater View mode movies occasionally play in fast-forward. However, playing movies from MC's Standard View was fine.

I fired up MC13 and had no issues with movie playback via all modes (Dlink, Theater View, and Standard View).

I have upgraded to the latest version (118) and movies are still truncated when playing through the Dlink.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FPacheco

• Recent member
« Reply #131 on: December 31, 2009, 11:58:28 am »

Bob - The video is not being converted and the DLink is at the latest firmware levels.  The movie(s) were create using DVD Shrink 3.2 which result in a large VOB file and is then renamed to MPG for playback. The movies vary as to the type of audio, this particular one has AC3 1-ch and 2-ch audio.

My UPnP settings are Advanced with Filter International Characters and Omit Host Portion of URL on.  The only difference between MC13 and MC14 is that I have Allow Visual Content selected on MC13 which is not available on MC14.

Regards.

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #132 on: December 31, 2009, 12:12:04 pm »

Thanks for all the work you have done on this! I am trying build 118 now on a network with Xbox 360s and Roku Soundbridges and with one exception everything seems to be working great.

The one exception is playing back audio files on the Xbox 360. Unlike with Video and Pictures on the Xbox 360, with Music you aren't able to do a full traversal of the UPnP tree. I presume that is an Xbox 360 dashboard limitation that there is no way around. But the problem is exacerbated by a problem with the way MC appears to be giving information to the Xbox that problem manifests istelf as follows:

After selecting the MC server as a source from the Xbox 360 Music Library screen, the user selections "Albums", "Artists" and "Genres" do not show lists of albumns, artists and genres on the right hand side of the screen the way they should. Instead they show "Audio", "Images", "Video" and "Documents". Selecting "Audio" from each simply produces a list of all the audio files on MC (albeit impressively fast  ;D).

I suspect that correcting this requires some special treatment for handling requests that come from the Xbox 360 Music Library, but hopfully this will be possible to implement now that we can have customized servers running for each type of device.

Please let me know if you are unable to duplicate or need more information. Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #133 on: December 31, 2009, 03:15:04 pm »

DWAnderson,
Try different conversion settings.  Always convert, for example.

Is your tree "stock"?  Not modified?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: January 01, 2010, 08:23:08 pm »

After selecting the MC server as a source from the Xbox 360 Music Library screen, the user selections "Albums", "Artists" and "Genres" do not show lists of albumns, artists and genres on the right hand side of the screen the way they should. Instead they show "Audio", "Images", "Video" and "Documents". Selecting "Audio" from each simply produces a list of all the audio files on MC (albeit impressively fast  ;D).
If you create a xbox360 profile and choose that server when you browse from the 360 you should for sure get the proper audio trees.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #135 on: January 04, 2010, 01:56:15 pm »

Bob - The video is not being converted and the DLink is at the latest firmware levels.  The movie(s) were create using DVD Shrink 3.2 which result in a large VOB file and is then renamed to MPG for playback. The movies vary as to the type of audio, this particular one has AC3 1-ch and 2-ch audio.

My UPnP settings are Advanced with Filter International Characters and Omit Host Portion of URL on.  The only difference between MC13 and MC14 is that I have Allow Visual Content selected on MC13 which is not available on MC14.

Regards.
I see one problem, the content-length if the file is >2 gigs. Testing with our 520 after fixing that seems to work however when displaying the file information on the screen, I don't get proper info for my large mpgs though they seem to play fine. Do you see the proper bitrate and duration in MC for these movies? The content-length bug will be fixed in the next build released.

FPacheco

• Recent member
« Reply #136 on: January 04, 2010, 05:24:35 pm »

Bob - The duration/bit rate never seems to display properly with the initial play. However on most movies, not all,  the duration/bit rate display properly once the movie has been played from beginning to end. 

Thanks for the find and I look forward to the next build.

Fernando.

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #137 on: January 04, 2010, 09:07:00 pm »

If you create a xbox360 profile and choose that server when you browse from the 360 you should for sure get the proper audio trees.

I do not. I get the results I described above. I tried recreating the Xbox 360 server entry, setting the port manually to 2869, and setting the conversion settings to convert everything and still get the same result

Here is what the server log looks like:

1/4/2010 9:05 PM - JRiver UPnP Server Version 1.0.50 starting...
1/4/2010 9:05 PM - UPnP Media Server Device started on port 2869
1/4/2010 9:05 PM - UPnP Media Server Device started on port 2870
1/4/2010 9:05 PM - Running
1/4/2010 9:05 PM - Received request for device description
1/4/2010 9:05 PM - Search 7()

What more information can I provide?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2010, 09:40:41 am »

I do not. I get the results I described above. I tried recreating the Xbox 360 server entry, setting the port manually to 2869, and setting the conversion settings to convert everything and still get the same result

Here is what the server log looks like:

1/4/2010 9:05 PM - JRiver UPnP Server Version 1.0.50 starting...
1/4/2010 9:05 PM - UPnP Media Server Device started on port 2869
1/4/2010 9:05 PM - UPnP Media Server Device started on port 2870
1/4/2010 9:05 PM - Running
1/4/2010 9:05 PM - Search 7()

What more information can I provide?

Search 7 is correct.
What that translates to in the view is
Audio/
Then to see Albums for example, the search concatenates the root (Audio) and Albums to get
Audio/Albums
The inflexibility is that this is the standard view. If you've changed the view you might not have that available. This will change in the future.

There are direct correlations in the search for Albums, Artists, and Genres. Saved Playlists maps to MC Playlists, and Songs maps to the entire Audio library.

If you have standard views I'm at a loss to understand how it can't find them on the 360.

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #139 on: January 05, 2010, 10:12:34 am »

If you have standard views I'm at a loss to understand how it can't find them on the 360.

I customized viewschemes in my library a long time ago, so maybe this is the issue. Do I need to have view named  "Albums", "Artists", and Genres" for this to work?

If so, is there a way to control what views get presented to each UPnP/DLNA type of device?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: January 05, 2010, 10:30:01 am »

I customized viewschemes in my library a long time ago, so maybe this is the issue. Do I need to have view named  "Albums", "Artists", and Genres" for this to work?
Yes, those categories must appear under Audio for the time being.
If so, is there a way to control what views get presented to each UPnP/DLNA type of device?
Not currently. To some degree it depends on what the device asks for. The 360 is a bit of a special case since it's looking for a fixed Windows Media Connect type tree.
Customizable views for UPnP devices are in the works.

bcmiller189

« Reply #141 on: January 06, 2010, 02:01:00 am »

I can't seem to get.... anything for my X-box.  Maybe I am looking in the wrong places but nothing different shows up on my X-box than before I did this.   The server gives me the following

01/06/10 02:57:41 - JRiver UPnP Server Version 1.0.50 starting...
01/06/10 02:57:42 - UPnP Media Server Device started on port 3800
01/06/10 02:57:42 - Running

and that's it.  I have tried autodetect and setting it to X-box.  Am I missing something obvious here?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: January 06, 2010, 07:31:20 am »

I can't seem to get.... anything for my X-box.  Maybe I am looking in the wrong places but nothing different shows up on my X-box than before I did this.   The server gives me the following

01/06/10 02:57:41 - JRiver UPnP Server Version 1.0.50 starting...
01/06/10 02:57:42 - UPnP Media Server Device started on port 3800
01/06/10 02:57:42 - Running

and that's it.  I have tried autodetect and setting it to X-box.  Am I missing something obvious here?
Make sure you have the latest build.  It's at the top of this board.  Then choose Add and select Xbox in the menu of options.

bcmiller189

« Reply #143 on: January 06, 2010, 02:37:41 pm »

Make sure you have the latest build.  It's at the top of this board.  Then choose Add and select Xbox in the menu of options.

I do have the latest build and it is still giving me that for some reason...

Dragyn

« Reply #144 on: January 06, 2010, 10:15:53 pm »

this would be great if it worked with the zen x-fi.

can't get it to work. well, worked for a bit then died.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: January 07, 2010, 07:37:30 am »

Hi Dave,
Make sure you try the latest build.  It's still evolving.

Jim

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: January 07, 2010, 09:30:33 am »

I do have the latest build and it is still giving me that for some reason...
Remove all of the existing servers in the UPnP server -> Options then readd just the xbox 360 preset.
You probably need to be on the same network segment if you are subnetting.

zuiko

• Recent member
« Reply #147 on: January 10, 2010, 01:16:19 am »

I got the video stuff working fine with build 121, but one issue I have encountered is that the File view does not appear to work. If I go in with the Date or Genre views it shows all my files. If I go by File it will show me all the folders and the actual file types in that folder (say MP4 and M4V), but I will always get a single "Untitled" with no thumbnail at the deepest level and if I try to play that nothing happens. This is the default "File" view and I haven't changed it at all. It works fine in the client. Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround for it?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #148 on: January 10, 2010, 04:35:45 pm »

zuiko,
What rendering device are you using?

The next build will include fully customizable views, though if you are using a 360 there are some restraints with that as it's expecting a Windows Media Compatible tree view.

zuiko

• Recent member
« Reply #149 on: January 10, 2010, 11:56:58 pm »

I'm using the 360.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up