INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC14 + HDHOMERUN = TIMEOUT WAITING FOR WRITER TO START  (Read 2196 times)

Chilly

MC14 + HDHOMERUN = TIMEOUT WAITING FOR WRITER TO START
« on: November 05, 2009, 02:09:06 am »

Just installed MC14 on my XP laptop. Scanning for channels seems to function correctly, downloading program guide does not. Can not view any channels and have tried every codec rendering combination I could and still get "TIMEOUT WAITING FOR WRITE TO START". Any ideas? The tuner works great with Vista Media Center on my desktop and on the laptop the Quick TV utility from Silicondust works perfectly and can be used for simple TV viewing. Any suggestions are welcome

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: MC14 + HDHOMERUN = TIMEOUT WAITING FOR WRITER TO START
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 03:15:31 am »

Hi Chilli - I'm not going to be much help but I'm sure Yaobing will be along.  For what it is worth there are a few users with HDHomeRun (including myself with the DVB-T Version) and they just "work".  As MC can see the tuners and scan the channels I "think" your filters are fine but try to turn off timeshifting for now and see what happens.  The EPG side is not a lot of fun - pending on your location you may have to import an XMLTV file from a source that puts it togther (we have to do this in Australia).
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

Chilly

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 11:23:28 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion but I have already tried that after reading the one other post I could find with a somewhat similar issue. May be no joy for now. I may try again in a few months after both Silicondust and JRiver roll out a few more updates. Thanks again.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 10:01:17 am »

Which country are you in, in other words, which signal type do you try to tune to (ATSC or DVB-T)?  If DVB-T, are the channels freeview or encrypted?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Chilly

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 11:41:01 pm »

I am in North America so the signal is ATSC and the channels are freeview. The signal to the HomerunHD is coming from Comcast and are basic cable channels, mostly locals. I have not tried hooking up an antenna to see it over the air make a diference, doesnt seem like it would.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 07:25:44 am »

Start > Control Panel > Windows Firewall > DISABLE

I made this same message very large in a former post but the admins made it normal sized--not surprised you didn't notice it.

DancerMike

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 08:34:29 am »

Hi,

I was getting this same error and have some more information.  Firewall was turned off, however usually the firewall issue is  only an issue if you are using a non Windows firewall.  Well according to the silicondust site it is.

I have 2 tuners in the HDHomeRun.  One was set for QAM (cable) the other to ATSC (antenna).   When set up I could only get one set of channels in this case the QAM.  The other set I got the TIMEOUT WAITING FOR WRITER TO START error.  Now what was interesting was I flipped the order of the TV Devices in MC 14 and the problem also flipped.   I could now see my ATSC and I got the error for the QAM channels.  I flipped the inputs to the tuners and that didn’t change anything.  So I’m not sure what’s going on here, but some things  not right. 

Thanks

Daydream

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 10:29:07 am »

MC doesn't deal with QAM. You have to set that tuner to remap the channels to ATSC and then it'll work.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 11:39:37 am »

It can also mean you aren't getting television signals.
Pages: [1]   Go Up