INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Potential audio quality is a function of sound card and file quality  (Read 732 times)

jolo

• World Citizen

I think I might have asked the same question a few years ago, but I want to make sure that I understand this.
Assume that I want to play a FLAC or Ogg Vorbis audio file. The file is of high quality, it was encoded as Q6, and was encoded from the original source and
encoded where it was a secure rip and convert from the source.

Then I go to play a song on various PC audio players:

• Assume the decoder on each of the players is exactly the same and same version

• Assume that items like a Equalizer and items that might allow for customized user preferences are all turned off.

• Since this is coming from the same PC, should I expect the audio to sound exactly the same on all of the players ?

• The assumption I am making is that the potential of the quality of the audio output, is dependent on hardware and the drivers
    for the hardware. Meaning, the sound card quality, the speakers or headphones connected to the sound card

That while Is what I am assuming true? That PC audio players can allow customization of the output to suit the listener,
can improve quality, buy the codecs that it runs, but it they really cannot improve the potential quality of the audio

The reason I am asking this. No reason except to learn if what I think I know is accurate. No other reason.

Thanks,

Jon

Pages: [1]   Go Up