INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clinton (Bill) Visits the Senate in Support of Health Care  (Read 897 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Clinton (Bill) Visits the Senate in Support of Health Care
« on: November 12, 2009, 06:13:32 pm »

For those outside the U.S., who may not follow our politics, the health care debate has been in the spotlight this year.  Democrats have control of both houses of Congress and the Presidency, so they should be able to make the changes they want.  But it hasn't been simple.  There have been many divisions within their party over this issue.

Last week, a health care reform bill passed the U.S. House of Representatives.  But the expectation is that the Senate will be much more difficult.  60 votes are needed to end debate (cloture) and proceed to a vote, and 60 votes the Democrats have.  But a few Senators, like Joe Lieberman, pose a problem.

So someone (I wonder who) asked Bill Clinton to have a heart to heart talk with Democratic Senators.  Clinton served with many of them before he became President.

This excellent article reports on his visit and the many nuances of this issue:
http://www.politico.com/politico44/perm/1109/clinton_we_are_winning_c3243bd1-33d6-42a7-ab70-5bae329fdc6e.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up