INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I ask why - Auto-Import never completes it's Analyze Audio process?  (Read 1443 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe

Ever since becoming a MC fan...I have noticed on numerous occasions - that if I have Run Auto-Import in Background checked - along with Analyze Audio....that in most cases - some songs remain at as status of "Queued" like - forever.

I tested it again this morning with 14.0.94 and the same thing occurred. I moved 10 albums (all in FLAC format) over to my studio PC and left it to do it's thing for 2 hours. When I examined the new entrys - each album had 7 out of 10 songs done and no more.

How long should this "analysis" take.

In a more extreme example - on another PC - I have been moving MP3 based material onto this box for months using the various versions of v13 and v14 over that time frame. Last week when I hit upon a particular playlist of various tunes on my iPod - several songs came blasting out of the phones - telling me that the replay gain data was seriously off - or completely missing.

Sure enough - when I ran Analyze Audio on the entire stash - some 7200 files - I found that 300 or so - had no analysis done at all....that was easily fixed - but shouldn't this happen automagically with the Auto import process?

Can't really trust this thing if I pour hundreds of tracks into a library and only a portion actually get processed... Comments? Thoughts?

Cheers!

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Can I ask why - Auto-Import never completes it's Analyze Audio process?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 03:56:43 pm »

Analysis intentionally runs slowly during a background auto-import to keep resource usage low. 

Also, a background auto-import only runs when a change is detected in a watched folder or once a bit after initial program startup.

You can manually run an auto-import or use the 'Analyze Audio' tool if you're in more of a hurry.

And since the results are saved to the tags by default, you shouldn't need to analyze a file more than once.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 04:08:17 pm »

Analysis intentionally runs slowly during a background auto-import to keep resource usage low. 

Understood...but it seems to never actually completes it's run. I can move a half dozen albums to a PC across the network that has MC running. Presumably the Auto Import starts shortly thereafter - but I can leave the machine alone for 6 hours (with no more files added) and come back to find that only 80% of the files actually had any audio analysis written to the tags. The other 20% remained "queued".

Why is it stopping?

Also, a background auto-import only runs when a change is detected in a watched folder or once a bit after initial program startup.

Would a backup be detected as a change? I have SyncBack SE running every four hours against my FLAC share to ensure everything is backed up. Could this be "pre-empting" the Auto Import?

You can manually run an auto-import or use the 'Analyze Audio' tool if you're in more of a hurry.

Yep - that works great and everything is analyzed straight away and completely.

But - there is still something odd going. I mean - even tho this process is designed to be slow - and to keep resource usage low - it should complete ALL the analysis at some point without needing a helping hand.

Mr. Odd

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 12:37:52 pm »

And since the results are saved to the tags by default, you shouldn't need to analyze a file more than once.

The results only seem to be saved to tags when running the library function "Analyze Audio". When files are auto-imported, the MC database is updated with the BPM information but the tag is not updated. I've seen this reported in a number of other threads - definitely a bug.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 12:47:14 pm »

The results only seem to be saved to tags when running the library function "Analyze Audio". When files are auto-imported, the MC database is updated with the BPM information but the tag is not updated. I've seen this reported in a number of other threads - definitely a bug.

Hmmm...I am see something a bit different. In all instances where I have noticed a real obvious "miss" ... a typical example - say an album with 10 tracks...8 of them will be "analyzed"..and the tags are correct....it's just the other two need to be analyzed by the button press - sometimes days or weeks after the fact (since I was assuming everything gets done by Auto Import when first copied over).

As I mentioned - I found some tracks still sitting at "queued" even weeks after the material was placed in the share. However other times...I would see the entire album completed in a short while -  with correct tags correctly...so I do not know what the deal is...

I wish we could have some sort of indicator that an auto-import is happening (in the background - maybe a spinning globe or progress bar or something) or perhaps even be able to see which file is being processed?
Pages: [1]   Go Up