INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View Plug-ins?  (Read 1527 times)

dynobot

• Recent member
Theater View Plug-ins?
« on: November 14, 2009, 07:07:12 am »

Of course I must be open to scrutiny if I make a suggestion but I just wanted to know if JR et.al would consider suggestions for upcoming builds or is the business / development plan already in place?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Is JRiver Open To Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 07:20:34 am »

We're always interested in your suggestions.  If enough other people are interested, if we think they are generally useful, and if they aren't difficult we often implement them.

Alexx

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Now I feel wonderful!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 07:31:58 am »

we often implement them.

I've often felt that JRiver custom-built Media Jukebox and Media Center (Trumpets sounding on high!) just for me.

dynobot

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 08:09:18 am »

We're always interested in your suggestions.  If enough other people are interested, if we think they are generally useful, and if they aren't difficult we often implement them.

Ok here it goes:

You may or may not be away of a softwares called XBMC, PLEXI, and BOXEE.  But they are open source media related programs written to be turn the XBox [in the case of XBMC] into a complete media center.  They can [like JRiver] play movies, mp3, flac etc.  But they also have this neat feature that allows users to use "Scripts" or "Plugins" which essentially opens up a whole new plethora of features based on the script/plugin.  For example there is an NBA video plugin that allows you to stream video content from NBA.com....keep in mind there are TONS of different scripts and plugins that cover just about everything you can imagine...for Youtube, to NationalGeograpic, Hulu, Netflix, WB tv, Comedy Central, the list goes on and on. There is a plugin from Navi-X that offers a lot of content.

Would it be possible for MC to incorporate the functionality to use these already available scripts and plugins ?  IMO, there usefullness and/or popularity has already been proven by the existing user base that already uses them.

Link to open source plugins and scripts proposed for use in MC
http://www.xbmczone.com/addon_cat.asp?cat=Video+Plugin&id=1&offset=15

Link to example of an open source plugin that could be used in MC
http://website.navi-x.org/

Edited for clarity of purpose.  Not 100% sure of everything being open source.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 08:29:26 am »

MC's Theater View supports plug-ins, but we haven't had time to document the interface.  Weather and News are both plug-ins.

dynobot

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 08:37:54 am »

MC's Theater View supports plug-ins, but we haven't had time to document the interface.  Weather and News are both plug-ins.

Thank you I am aware of JR plug-ins for weather and new, I use them and they are very nice.

However I was talking about specifically being able to use the same plug-ins and scripts that are available for other media players....ie Navi-X.

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my explanation before.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Theater View Plug-ins?
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 08:40:31 am »

No.  I understood.  You'd like to have a more open interface and a community of developers who built plug-ins.  We would too.  It just takes time.

dynobot

• Recent member
Re: Theater View Plug-ins?
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 08:48:28 am »

No.  I understood.  You'd like to have a more open interface and a community of developers who built plug-ins.  We would too.  It just takes time.

Oh, ok....well thank you.  Perhaps some time in the future. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up