INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EDL Commerical Skipping Support?  (Read 2555 times)

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
EDL Commerical Skipping Support?
« on: November 16, 2009, 05:45:27 pm »

Through the use of "Edit Decision Lists", many video players can automatically skip commercials (non destructively). I would love to see these EDL files supported by MC one day. Here's some more info: http://xbmc.org/wiki/?title=EDL_(commercial_skipping)_and_SceneMarker_support
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: EDL Commerical Skipping Support?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 08:04:40 pm »

The functionality is only supported by non-commercial product I believe.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 12:43:16 am »

The functionality is only supported by non-commercial product I believe.

Nope. I have VideoRedo which is a commercial product and this generates them. The edl generation is done via numerous other apps too. As far as playback goes, even WinMC will support this.
Z-Wave Home Automation

benn600

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 12:58:57 pm »

TiVo doesn't because they would get sued out of existence.

Daydream

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 02:16:54 pm »

Mmm, it's not exactly the same thing but... Select-Play-Select-3-0 should enable the 30sec skip feature on Tivo.

benn600

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 02:51:46 pm »

Seriously?  Even the latest generation?  What button do you push to skip ahead 30 seconds with it "enabled?"

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 02:52:40 pm »

They would very likely win any lawsuits over this.  That's not why they haven't implemented it.  They don't implement it because they are somewhat in cahoots with the content producers.

Many applications support this type of setup.  Using an EDL is a very common (and very old, predating computers) video editing technique.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Daydream

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 09:21:57 pm »

Seriously?  Even the latest generation?  What button do you push to skip ahead 30 seconds with it "enabled?"

The one with... "the arrow hitting the wall" for lack of better description (if Slow is centered, this one is to the right and a bit down from Slow). TivoHD here.  And I missed a "Select" at the end of the sequence indicated above. So it's "Select" "Play" "Select" "3" "0" "Select".

Keep in mind it's a toggle. One time in - ON, second time - OFF. If you reboot or power off the Tivo it has to be reintroduced. I remember it took a couple of attempts the first time I tried it.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 11:48:37 pm »

so, any chance of commercial skipping getting move up the to-do list?

I have found a few ways to do this, but none will recognize/use the proprietary recording format .jtv

What can we do to resolve this?  I really don't want to watch commercials?

It is possible to setup a shortcut to skip 2 minutes at a time, or however long the "normal" commercial break lasts?  At least a 1 hotkey press to skip the majority of circumstances would be helpful; until real commercial skipping is working.

How about a way to convert the .jtv files to something, then cut out commercials, then import the "fixed" file?  Not ideal, but could maybe be automated.
pretend this is something funny

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 07:06:25 am »

so, any chance of commercial skipping getting move up the to-do list?
You can skip 30 seconds forward with the right arrow (from the five key pad) on a remote.  Left arrow backs up 10 seconds.

benn600

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 05:07:50 pm »

How about a setting to control how much the arrow skips? 30, 60, or 120 seconds.

I'm still holding out for a big time theater view menu system with some of these controls configurable from a nice theater interface.  It would be nice to make theater view not only a capability but an essential and nearly complete interface to MC.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 05:52:04 pm »

You can skip 30 seconds forward with the right arrow (from the five key pad) on a remote.  Left arrow backs up 10 seconds.

Ah yes, the poor man's commercial skipping  ;D  Not exactly EDL. But I'm hopeful.... always hopeful..... I never thought I'd see MC support video sidecars and yet now it does. EDL could be considered a similar concept.
Z-Wave Home Automation

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 05:02:27 pm »

Ah yes, the poor man's commercial skipping  ;D  Not exactly EDL. But I'm hopeful.... always hopeful..... I never thought I'd see MC support video sidecars and yet now it does. EDL could be considered a similar concept.

I'm with Ralf on this one, and in fact have requested it in the past (support for comskip).

I use the skip forward 30 seconds at the moment, but would really prefer that MC do it automatically for me.  I'm sure BeyondTV does it doesn't it?

Richard

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 07:26:37 pm »

There are a few ways of doing this I've seen (automatic commercial skipping), but they all require a file type that is recognized, and MC's is not one of them.

Maybe it would be possible to transcode your format to one that is supported, cut the commercials, then save back to the jtv format if necessary.

I think that these kinds of conveniences will really move MC up in the eyes of many people, if they could be made to work a bit more intuitively and/or natively.

Oh well, just kind of wishing out loud :)
pretend this is something funny

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 06:44:31 am »

There are a few ways of doing this I've seen (automatic commercial skipping), but they all require a file type that is recognized, and MC's is not one of them.

And this is why I don't record using MC.  I want my recordings as one file (not a folder full of files) and I want to be able to post-process them to cut ads etc for ones I want to keep long term.

R
Pages: [1]   Go Up