INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: duplicates ahoy!  (Read 1170 times)

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
duplicates ahoy!
« on: November 17, 2009, 05:55:38 pm »

so i finally got around to moving to MC14 this week, and while some of the GUI changes are very exciting, especially in theatre view, i have found something that was a...glitch? my library is 600GB, 200GB of which live on a network drive. when i started up MC14 for the first time, it found my old library and all seemed smooth sailing, except that it decided to make duplicate entries for each file on the network drive.

i expect transition to a new version of the software to make some bumps, so i'm not upset, but i figure somebody has run into this problem before and they know of an easy way to get rid of all of the duplicates. so, any and all help welcomed. :)

micah

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: duplicates ahoy!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 06:13:08 pm »

so i finally got around to moving to MC14 this week, and while some of the GUI changes are very exciting, especially in theatre view, i have found something that was a...glitch? my library is 600GB, 200GB of which live on a network drive. when i started up MC14 for the first time, it found my old library and all seemed smooth sailing, except that it decided to make duplicate entries for each file on the network drive.

i expect transition to a new version of the software to make some bumps, so i'm not upset, but i figure somebody has run into this problem before and they know of an easy way to get rid of all of the duplicates. so, any and all help welcomed. :)

micah
Try a restore from an MC13 backup.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 07:37:33 pm »

nope, no luck on a backup...seems like the listings are duplicated and the filepath is slightly different in each. one path reads //computer_name/path and the other reads //computer_name/user/path...wacky. i think i can just filter by that though and remove one half. thanks!

micah

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 01:55:15 am »

This happened to me as well. I did not get a 100% duplicate. Closer to 95%. So it was a bit scary for me to delete the double tracks.
I had a problem that the double slashes in the file path was replaced with a single slash. It probably happened by a screwup with the Move and rename tool. All the stuff did not change paths because of the recent import job I had done. I also managed to rate all this tracks before I found that the rest of the tracks was duplicated. So I had 95% of library in wrong path with ratings and a lot of other tags, and 5% newly imported with updated tags as well.

In my case I turned off the auto import and saved the files of the newly imported 5% to a playlist. Then I deleted the files in the correct path (the duplicated 95% + the newly imported part of the library), because they had been auto imported again and was missing some values. I used ~d=a in the search field to make sure they was deleted for good, so the auto import would work again at a later time. I moved the base path of my music to a temp directory, and used the "File and Rename" tool to set the patch values straight, then moved the music back in the correct directory. I did this because the rename would not actually be done on any real directories, as a single slash in the Windows world is not well appreciated. I then turned on Auto Import and imported the new 5% of files. Everything was back to normal.

I think you can avoid most of this, but just remember to delete only the newly imported part of your library (to preserve play count etc), and use ~d=a and delete the correct tracks with the original paths if needed, to make sure the Auto Import add everything after the job is done.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up