INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Community-Driven JRiver Podcast  (Read 3997 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
A Community-Driven JRiver Podcast
« on: November 19, 2009, 10:44:32 am »

I've had this idea rolling around in my head for quite a few months now, and I thought I'd finally put it out there to see what other people think about it (and see if some other people would be willing to help, more importantly)...

I'm thinking about starting up a regular (probably monthly) JRiver focused podcast.  We could use it to:

• Discuss the changelog of MC over the past month.
  • Do in-depth investigations of new features.
  • How-Tos and Demos of existing features
  • Answer "mailbag" questions (users could post a question on the release thread of the previous podcast, and we'd choose the ones we want to answer)
  • Interview JRiver developers and Plugin Authors
  • Discuss A/V topics in general, related to various uses of MC (A/V equipment, etc)
  • And probably have some fun.

I'm thinking of modeling the structure of the show on the Joystiq Podcast and the Tech Report podcast (somewhere in-between these two shows).  Being community-driven, it will likely have a fairly irreverent style, and knowing me, might qualify for the "adult" tag on iTunes (though I'll try my best to keep it mostly-clean and professional).

I have all of the equipment and software necessary to actually create the podcast, and I could probably handle the technical aspects of recording and producing the MP3.  Like most podcasts, I imagine we would use Skype to actually place the "conference call", so having participation from far-flung users shouldn't be an issue.

However, I would need a lot of help from the community here!  First and foremost, I'd need some other people who could commit to actually being on the podcast with me to discuss these things, help plan the content, and whatnot.  We'd also need someone who could provide the technical website-side resources we'd need (we need a "blogging" system of some kind, with hosting, and then we need to implement a RSS feed, serve it, and make it available).  And, of course, we'd need listeners and a blessing from Jim wouldn't be bad at all!

What do you think?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

gappie

Re: A Community-Driven JRiver Podcast
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 10:51:58 am »

i like the idea. could work. i would also like to contribute, could be fun and helpfull.

:)
gab

sunfire7

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 11:30:28 am »

sounds great!  :D i like the idea a lot.  Will be a normal podcast or video-podcast? video podcast would be useful for how-tos, tricks and feature review :P
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

rjm

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 01:12:42 pm »

Excellent idea. Would like MC user base to grow. This might help.

I will definately contribute to planning and blogging.
I might sit in on calls, especially if I can say really nasty things about Jim :).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 02:09:39 pm »

sounds great!  :D i like the idea a lot.  Will be a normal podcast or video-podcast? video podcast would be useful for how-tos, tricks and feature review :P

I have the capability of recording and editing a video podcast.  Unfortunately, there are two major problems.  First, it is difficult and expensive to do multi-party video calls via Skype.  The built-in Skype videoconferencing features are one-to-one only.  The way Leo Laporte does it is that he has a fancy multi-computer system (they call it Skype-a-saurus), with one computer per Skype participant (so each Skype session is independent and one-to-one), and then the video from each of these computers is captured (probably via a scan converter) and fed into his video mixer.  Then he sends out his "master feed" to the remote participants as "his end" of each Skype call.  The audio mixing part of this must be fairly complex as well to avoid echo.

Either way, I can't afford that, as much as I'd like to!

Secondly, paying for the bandwidth to support video podcast downloads would be cost prohibitive.  I don't even know at this point where we would host the audio content!!  I'm hoping someone here is going to be able to handle that part for me, or I may end up signing up for a squarespace hosting account or something.

sunfire7

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 04:35:37 pm »

I imagined a simple scenario without video calls, for example,

http:\somehosting.com\jriverpodcast.xml
{
podcast#12
- In this episode we discuss the changelog of MC 14.0.150
- Review of the new feature "backup settings"
- Answers to questions of podcast #11
- JimH special announce

jrmc_podcast _12.mp4
}

this xml can be added to any podcast client like MC or itunes , etc. to automate the periodic download

Inside of jrmc_podcast _12.mp4 are not video calls, just pictures, videos or graphics to represent what the people on the podcast are talking about, not a super production :)
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

HiFiTubes

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 12:11:21 am »

I'd like to participate. Drop me a line about hosting. I have a GoDaddy account with unlimited hosting that isn't being used that much. I think I can start another domain and use an Economy Plan with it for free.

http://www.godaddy.com/Hosting/web-hosting.aspx?ci=8971

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 12:32:20 am »

I really like this idea - as with most suggestions "glynor".

The community element is one JimH has mentioned is -not so much missing but- lacking. It would be good to see ideas like this put into practice.

Personally, I'd also like to see skinning and plugin development given separate forums.

Another idea could be to give 'encouragement' to people who develop free plugins or provide a lot of help to other users - like a free upgrade, second license or similar. An SVN server for plugin development may also be useful.

I liked the idea of the JRiver 'market place' type thing too...

I'm rambling... bye!

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 06:18:16 am »

I like it! Would listen to it for sure. I'd might be able to participate as well, as long as it's about features or functions I'm deeply involved in. Other than that, I don't think I can help much with the hosting or producing part. I can record video and I can speak in a microphone, but that's about it :)

The idea of a How-To section sounds good. Neat ideas and tricks in each episode would be cool. Might not need video at all if it's not to complicated.

What I'm ultimately hoping for though, is a J River hosted Walk-through web page, containing videos committed by enthusiasts. Videos that details most of the normal and advanced features of MC. This would help newbies very much, as well as long time users wishing to do more advanced stuff.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 09:16:14 am »

I visited Leo Laporte a summer ago and see he has gotten so much more sophisticated now.  I definitely like the idea.  In that past I was hoping for a JRiver ran podcast.  However, a user driven product would attract more than the purist addicts.

I'd love to be on the show too.  I'm sure I can offer some thoughts.  I have a high quality digital mic and shock mount.  I don't think we should even think about video at this point, but that is just me.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 12:43:24 pm »

Inside of jrmc_podcast _12.mp4 are not video calls, just pictures, videos or graphics to represent what the people on the podcast are talking about, not a super production :)

I figured we'd probably offer both an Enhanced AAC feed and a standard MP3 feed.  The Enhanced AAC feeds can contain still graphics at chapter marks, which should work for these types of purposes.  We could also certainly include auxiliary documentation for things like this on a shownotes page for each episode, if people bother to write them up.

I'd like to participate. Drop me a line about hosting. I have a GoDaddy account with unlimited hosting that isn't being used that much. I think I can start another domain and use an Economy Plan with it for free.

http://www.godaddy.com/Hosting/web-hosting.aspx?ci=8971

Thanks for the offer!  I'll be in touch.

I'd love to be on the show too.  I'm sure I can offer some thoughts.  I have a high quality digital mic and shock mount.  I don't think we should even think about video at this point, but that is just me.

I'm sure you can be included Ben!  Thanks.  We will certainly need a "core group" of 3-5 (or so) expert users that can commit to being on the show for most episodes before we can move forward, and one person to agree to collect and organize show notes (our list of junk to talk about).  The easiest way to organize the notes would probably be via a Wiki or Google Wave, but we'll need someone to agree to be "in charge" of that part of it.  I don't want to take that part of it on if I'm going to be the technical content producer (doing the recording, editing, etc).

benn600

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 08:05:00 pm »

I totally agree that there needs to be a show topic list--show notes afterwards.  My concern would be running out of things to talk about.  Perhaps a pilot episode too, released to a small group of people.  Should we try to construct a list of the regulars on the show, with roles?

DarkPenguin

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 01:35:08 pm »

I totally agree that there needs to be a show topic list--show notes afterwards.  My concern would be running out of things to talk about.  Perhaps a pilot episode too, released to a small group of people.  Should we try to construct a list of the regulars on the show, with roles?

I doubt Matt would allow there to be a dearth of new things to talk about.

But this is a pretty good idea in general.  I don't think people understand what you can do with MC that you can't do with other apps.  I also think there are show stoppers (*cough*ipod*cough*) for which people have work arounds.

benn600

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 11:16:13 am »

Just keeping up with new versions and changelogs is a big issue!  Not to mention catching those features that got thrown in OR (more importantly) as features get beefed up, they become viable as a totally new method for setting things up.

1) When theater views became separate from main views.
2) When library server allowed changes to be merged back.
3) Burning from theater view.
4. etc...

HiFiTubes

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 01:05:29 pm »

I don't think we'll run out of things to showcase and discuss. I just received a Google Wave invite. Looks interesting but I haven't had a lot of time to explore it.

library server allowed changes to be merged back

I must have missed this one; I need to look into it.

benn600

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 05:30:13 pm »

library server allowed changes to be merged back

I must have missed this one; I need to look into it.

I had missed it too.  We still need settings to be shared over library server as non-editable.  ALSO, a read only username / password if you want to share access to some content to close family or friends.

keither

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 07:36:37 pm »

I'm definitely interested in listening.

And if you'd like, I can offer hosting similar to what I do for my own podcast - Confessing The Blues.  I use Dreamhost which has a much better track record than Go Daddy, and I can easily set up a WordPress front end with podpress, so you'll get statistics, too.

Check out http://www.confessingtheblues.com/ and let me know what you think!

HiFiTubes

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 09:00:24 pm »

@ Keither - sounds like you have the means and the energy for hosting and while I have set up a blog at work with Wordpress, I think it sounds like you have more experience than with Podpress. Thanks!

HiFiTubes

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 12:11:27 pm »

Anyone need a G. Wave invite?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 12:32:24 pm »

I'm set.  I'm still considering this, but I want to make sure that I do it right, if I decide to go forward.  Right now, I'm investigating recording setups...

I'd still need at least 2-3 people to commit to being willing to actually appear on each (or most) of the episodes, before we'd go forward.  Preferably some long-timers here on the forums.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2009, 12:35:49 pm »

Sounds good. I've rebuilt my system and just burned my first CD over WAN with Library Server so I can play a mix on the way home.

I'd like to cover whether or not LS changes on client can be merged back. At home I use the shared library setup so I can tag with the laptop.

We could have a feature akin to "smartlist of the week" or "View Scheme of the week" etc.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 12:15:45 pm »

Just burned my 1st CD over WAN via Library Server; definitely a topic for the podcast!
Pages: [1]   Go Up