INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 HTPC - 1 Dataset  (Read 1155 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
2 HTPC - 1 Dataset
« on: November 22, 2009, 09:21:37 am »

What configurations are available for two systems using the same content database?  At the moment I have been using one database with the systems set up on auto-import.  This actually works excellent except for a few troubles:

1. Auto import has to be setup on each system. Without precision configuration, one system could get more or fewer files and ultimately get or ignore the wrong files.
2. One system is read-only.  This is not necessarily a bad thing but it would probably be helpful for me to just make all systems read only.  Except the db needs to be updated at some point or each time a system starts it would have to auto import and find more and more changes each time.
3. Worst of all: tagging of files does not work.  So if I want to load up the HTPC database on a system with easy access to mouse/keyboard I have to remotely close MC on the system that has write privileges.  I would do this as I add a new piece of content that requires tagging.  DVDs are a good example of this.  Ripping CDs is not a problem because MC handles the ripping + tagging all in one step.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: 2 HTPC - 1 Dataset
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 09:23:23 am »

You can share your library on a network like you're doing.  In this case, subsequent users get read-only access.

You could also try Library Server, which allows client changes to be merged back.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

HiFiTubes

Re: 2 HTPC - 1 Dataset
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 11:49:15 pm »

Matt, I'm using the shared Library folder/database, but can you tell me how the merge occurs in Library Server?

I'm away from my system for a week; do you have to close the client and say yes to a merge prompt?

My other question: can I lock my main system in Party Mode and have a client tagging over Library Server and then merge the changes back (however this is initiated)?

thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up